Coffee Thread

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I gave up espressos for cold brew. Now I'm going to start refining a keto sweet cream to add to it and I'll be money.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I bought a 29 cubic feet fridge, upgrading from like 20, so I now have an exceeding large amount of empty space going to waste. Always told myself I'd get into cold brewing when I finally upgraded. Today's that day. Anyone got some legit setups for someone who's never done this shit before? I need everything top to bottom, grinders ect.

LiquidDeath

I bought a 29 cubic feet fridge, upgrading from like 20, so I now have an exceeding large amount of empty space going to waste. Always told myself I'd get into cold brewing when I finally upgraded. Today's that day. Anyone got some legit setups for someone who's never done this shit before? I need everything top to bottom, grinders ect.
How much coffee do you drink a day? Or rather, how much cold brew so you plan on drinking?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
How much coffee do you drink a day? Or rather, how much cold brew so you plan on drinking?
I’m usually two or three cups, but can go as high a five or six. A medium size French press looks appealing, but I’m open to setups with a bag or built in filter. I figure four cups brewing and something to hold four brewed cups is probably more than enough.

LiquidDeath

I’m usually two or three cups, but can go as high a five or six. A medium size French press looks appealing, but I’m open to setups with a bag or built in filter. I figure four cups brewing and something to hold four brewed cups is probably more than enough.
For starters, I don't know if you want to be setting up your French press every day. Cold brew usually steeps for a minimum of 24 hours which is why I make it a gallon at a time but only drink 1 cup a day. For your consumption, I would buy one of those 5 gallon metal coffee dispensers from Costco or Sam's and brew the whole goddamn thing every 10 to 14 days. Anything more than that and it seems like it would be supremely annoying to deal with the grinding and filtering.

If none of that sounds appealing off the bat, I would do a small batch experiment making some cold brew if your favorite coffee and only move forward if you enjoyed it.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
For starters, I don't know if you want to be setting up your French press every day. Cold brew usually steeps for a minimum of 24 hours which is why I make it a gallon at a time but only drink 1 cup a day. For your consumption, I would buy one of those 5 gallon metal coffee dispensers from Costco or Sam's and brew the whole goddamn thing every 10 to 14 days. Anything more than that and it seems like it would be supremely annoying to deal with the grinding and filtering.

If none of that sounds appealing off the bat, I would do a small batch experiment making some cold brew if your favorite coffee and only move forward if you enjoyed it.
My favorite coffee is Kroger brand breakfast brew in a k-cup or the occasional McDonald’s brew black, so let’s just say I’m running head first into unknown territory. I cook my own food every day. So the idea of working through setting up a French press while monitoring food isn’t that intimidating to me, but I’ve also never done it. I think you kinda made me decide with the small batch comment. I’ll go the French press to dabble my feet. If I like it and it’s too annoying I’ll find a more bulk method. The French press would still be useful as a French press. I get extra satisfaction from doing things manually, which is why I bought a hand grinder. Now just to figure out what real coffee tastes like.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My favorite coffee is Kroger brand breakfast brew in a k-cup or the occasional McDonald’s brew black, so let’s just say I’m running head first into unknown territory. I cook my own food every day. So the idea of working through setting up a French press while monitoring food isn’t that intimidating to me, but I’ve also never done it. I think you kinda made me decide with the small batch comment. I’ll go the French press to dabble my feet. If I like it and it’s too annoying I’ll find a more bulk method. The French press would still be useful as a French press. I get extra satisfaction from doing things manually, which is why I bought a hand grinder. Now just to figure out what real coffee tastes like.
a few of us have different ways of doing cold brew, i believe what we can all agree on is that making batches of cold brew is annoying, depending on your setup you have to partition out not only countertop space but also fridge space.

you are going to want some kind of automatic grinder if youre doing cold brew, cold brew requires a beefy amount of coffee at a time.

how much? you should start off at a 5:1 ratio, and then adjust to your own person strength, taste and duration of brew and different beans.

to make this easy for you to get started, a french press is usually 34oz, i have taken to using gay ass metric b/c most coffee stuff is in litres and 34oz is 1litre

so if you want to do a 5:1 ratio for your first batch of coldbrew for a 1litre french press, youre looking at 200grams of ground coffee, thats a good 7oz? of coffee you gotta grind out.

imo, do it now, b/c it'll take a day to brew anyway, so you get the hang of it.

LiquidDeath

I like stronger coffee, so I use espresso beans to make my brew.

If you use Costco you can pick up some basic Lavaaza Cafe Espresso in a 2.2 lb bag for about $13. I know that Lanx Lanx uses Don Francisco's from Amazon at a good price, aand I imagine that the Kroger brand you use is sold there in bulk too.

You definitely want to make sure you have a burr grinder that can grind coarse. I have had this bastard for over a decade and it grinds the same now as it did the day I took it out of the box. You don't need to spend this much on a grinder for cold brew, though.

Something like this should do you. Again, you want a burr grinder for a good, consistent grind but it doesn't need to be a super nice one because you aren't going to be grinding the finer espresso grinds that require top shelf consistency.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I like stronger coffee, so I use espresso beans to make my brew.

If you use Costco you can pick up some basic Lavaaza Cafe Espresso in a 2.2 lb bag for about $13. I know that Lanx Lanx uses Don Francisco's from Amazon at a good price, aand I imagine that the Kroger brand you use is sold there in bulk too.

You definitely want to make sure you have a burr grinder that can grind coarse. I have had this bastard for over a decade and it grinds the same now as it did the day I took it out of the box. You don't need to spend this much on a grinder for cold brew, though.

Something like this should do you. Again, you want a burr grinder for a good, consistent grind but it doesn't need to be a super nice one because you aren't going to be grinding the finer espresso grinds that require top shelf consistency.

I want to do more than cold brew, but that’s where I was gonna go first. Already committed to a solid manual burr grinder that can handle expresso. If I like it enough I’ll probably get a more expensive one for just expresso and Turkish coffee. I’m familiar with the lavazzo brand from my trips to Europe. I definitely did the expresso button there a lot when it’s included free with breakfast. I plan to move into trying to do all the stuff myself. First had cold brew in Poland and it was a very pleasant experience.

I tend to like coffee hot in the morning and cold in the afternoon.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
This thread is amazing (and I am a little reticent to post here). I fear it may be inviting disdain for my coffee ignorance. However, I have come to believe that the Keurig machine has deprived me of one of life's (possibly not-so) simple pleasures.

I used to have a coffee grinder and a Melita funnel with funnel cone filters. I would drip my coffee in the morning and all was fine. This was way before I ever recall there being 97+ varieties of coffees and a plethora of specialty stores catering to the discerning palates of coffee lovers. But caffeine is kind of a necessity, right? And the coffee bean and the liquid it imparts to is a daily part of hundreds of millions of lives. And the Keurig cup is a simple delivery system... so I drink a cup (maybe two) a day from it. Have a few of them scattered in a variety of locations. Damn easy fix anywhere.

Four weeks ago, a family tragedy had me driving 800+ miles. I stopped at a very small, diner-car type diner in Morristown, NJ. The food was okay (not actually up to NJ diner standards, mind you) but the coffee-- AMAZING. It was as if my senses were reawakened to something they had long forgotten or given up upon. It was a beautiful cup of coffee (and it was an "endless cup" at that).

For the coffee sommeliers, I don't know why it was SO good. I couldn't pick out a fine wine or a "great" beer. I know that. But that was a great cup of coffee that reminded me of my long disposed of Melita funnel and my ancient coffee-grinder. I mean, I used those because I HAD to. There were not that many other options besides a percolating multi-cup brewer.

But now-- just the idea of trying to start from scratch to get a perfect cup of nutty, smooth, deep, delicious cup of coffee intrigues me. I am tempted to go back to the funnel and grinder.

PS- I also had a stop in Waitsfield Vermont where I was less than a mile from the Green Mountain Coffee roasting facility. I had a cup of freshly brewed Green Mountain Breakfast Blend. And it sucked.

I don't know. I'm reading up here and I want to re-experience a good cup of coffee. Thanks.

LiquidDeath

So my increased cold brew consumption has led to me almost never using my super automatic any longer despite it being fantastic.

I was thinking about downgrading to a single cup maker like a Nespresso, but am worried about the cost of pods and potentially being locked into a proprietary system. Is there a good Nespresso machine that I can use my own coffee in if I want? Also, what is the good stand alone frother? I tried links from earlier in the thread but they are broken now.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This thread is amazing (and I am a little reticent to post here). I fear it may be inviting disdain for my coffee ignorance. However, I have come to believe that the Keurig machine has deprived me of one of life's (possibly not-so) simple pleasures.

I used to have a coffee grinder and a Melita funnel with funnel cone filters. I would drip my coffee in the morning and all was fine. This was way before I ever recall there being 97+ varieties of coffees and a plethora of specialty stores catering to the discerning palates of coffee lovers. But caffeine is kind of a necessity, right? And the coffee bean and the liquid it imparts to is a daily part of hundreds of millions of lives. And the Keurig cup is a simple delivery system... so I drink a cup (maybe two) a day from it. Have a few of them scattered in a variety of locations. Damn easy fix anywhere.

Four weeks ago, a family tragedy had me driving 800+ miles. I stopped at a very small, diner-car type diner in Morristown, NJ. The food was okay (not actually up to NJ diner standards, mind you) but the coffee-- AMAZING. It was as if my senses were reawakened to something they had long forgotten or given up upon. It was a beautiful cup of coffee (and it was an "endless cup" at that).

For the coffee sommeliers, I don't know why it was SO good. I couldn't pick out a fine wine or a "great" beer. I know that. But that was a great cup of coffee that reminded me of my long disposed of Melita funnel and my ancient coffee-grinder. I mean, I used those because I HAD to. There were not that many other options besides a percolating multi-cup brewer.

But now-- just the idea of trying to start from scratch to get a perfect cup of nutty, smooth, deep, delicious cup of coffee intrigues me. I am tempted to go back to the funnel and grinder.

PS- I also had a stop in Waitsfield Vermont where I was less than a mile from the Green Mountain Coffee roasting facility. I had a cup of freshly brewed Green Mountain Breakfast Blend. And it sucked.

I don't know. I'm reading up here and I want to re-experience a good cup of coffee. Thanks.
did you actually goto morristown diner?
8cf58d1849066b7759cddcfb89a5b159.jpg

did you only go there cuz it's the only place that had parking? heh (i used to live here, so i know the area)

if it was morristown diner, then this shot shows they had your average bunn coffee maker setup
4fc8d4ddfa92190741678d456397ee6d.png

it doesn't see like they keep many pots around, so they most likely brew as they go, not like this
bunn387000014a.jpg

(hot plates destroy coffee)

and i'm not knocking bunn, bunn, if fresh is a good coffee standard, i even had a bunn coffee maker for a few years before it failed
BUNN%2BHG%2BPhase%2BBrew.jpg

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
You aren’t alone. I came here today to change my coffee monster ways. I do like the occasional good coffee or expresso I get, but I down stale gas station coffee cold without grimacing, grits and all. I can tolerate the worst stuff, but I just randomly felt like I should put a little time into it so I can always enjoy my coffee

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So my increased cold brew consumption has led to me almost never using my super automatic any longer despite it being fantastic.

I was thinking about downgrading to a single cup maker like a Nespresso, but am worried about the cost of pods and potentially being locked into a proprietary system. Is there a good Nespresso machine that I can use my own coffee in if I want? Also, what is the good stand alone frother? I tried links from earlier in the thread but they are broken now.
original/regular nespresso you won't be locked in, there is no more patent
0005000031350_A

while the new capsule line is nespresso only (and will most likely not goto 3rd party anytime soon)
OriginalLine-vs-VertuoLine.jpg

if you wanna use your own coffee w/ a nespresso you'd want the original line that'll let you fill in your own capsules
51Ll2gtO5aL._AC_SX522_.jpg

the milk frother i got was this one (or a clone)
5c6bdeb1f8d01f77b4b03b1e3fecd9cb.png

Secura Electric Milk Frother, Automatic Milk Steamer, 4-IN-1 Hot & Cold Foam Maker-8.4oz/240ml Milk Warmer for Latte, Cappuccinos, Macchiato with Silicone Spatula, Silent Working & Automatic off

i like that it can give me options of cold frother or hot froth and such, i actually use it a lot to make matcha tea cuz the power is annoying to bubble, but this makes it really well and better than the traditional bamboo whisk, imo.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

If you want a good quick easy cup of coffee, get an aero press

• 1Like

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
My gripe with the aero press is size. I like to get a good 16 oz cup for the trouble I go through.

I probably change up my routine every 6-12 months. Right now I'm using a Bonavita after at least a year of making every cup at home with a chemex (pourover). Before that, it was french press.

I order about two pounds of beans each month from happymug.com, which is great for a number of reasons: they roast the beans to order and ship them out within 24 hours; they always have a great selection of standard single origin for $10 per 12 oz (or $22 for 2 lbs); and they also have a step up of rarer varieties for only a few dollars more. I've tried most of them over the years, but I always go back to the Guatemalan.