College Basketball 2014-2015

Caal

Lord Nagafen Raider
I was slightly off about Georgia, I'll admit it. They only had to win 1 game in the SEC tournament, not 2 to get in. I thought they would have to get to the SEC title game(and lose) to get in, but they only had to get to the Semi-final to make it in as one of the final bubble teams.

The Georgia vs Mich St game is funny, probably the two most overrated teams this year in the major conferences, and the NCAA matches them up in the first round. Georgia went 0-5 against top-25 teams, yes, not a single win against a top 25 team(and didnt play a single team in the 26-50 range to get a win there either, zero top 50 wins overall), and Michigan State went 1-6 against the top 25, not getting their first top 25 win until the Big 10 tournament when they beat Maryland. Easily the 2 worst records against the top 50 of any Power-5 schools to make the tournament.

Heck, everyone's arguing that UCLA shouldn't have made the field, and they were at least 2-9 against the top 50, better than Georgia, unless someone wants to argue that 0-5 > 2-9 because it's less losses or something...

As for the SEC as a whole though, I don't see them getting a single team past the first weekend other than Kentucky, but then again if Kentucky wins it all the conference ends up looking pretty good, lol.

And bring on the kansas vs Wichita St game in the 2nd round, you can't tell me that wasn't intentional form the committee
Since I'm sure you've watched about 5 minutes of MSU basketball this year, I'll tell you they're where they are only because they couldn't get out of their own way. They've got an all time bad free throw shooting %, they're right near the bottom of kenpom's luck factor, etc etc. If you watched the last couple minutes of the game today, outside of poor free throw shooting, it was a pretty nice sum of what happened this season. Just taking a shit on themselves every chance they got.

edit: Overrated? So they're right around the 30th best team in the country? I mean, what are we talking about exactly?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Well, Mich St was the 2nd highest ranked team without a top 25 win until 2 days ago(SMU doesn't have one, they're 0-2). The Spartans kept hanging around the bottom of the top 25 most of the year despite not having 1 good win all year until this weekend. Their name alone kept them ranked a little higher than they should have been. They probably deserve a 10-11 seed or so. They're a top 40-ish team, but shouldn't be sniffing the top 25(I think they were around 27th or something in last weeks poll, that Marlyand win this weekend would have probably put them back into the top 25 if there was actually a poll this week).

Look, I love Tom Izzo, I think he might be the best coach in the NCAA today, I just think his team this year has been wildly inconsistent, yet they never really fell as far as they deserved to because of their name, which they have earned to be fair. Just like kansas this year, it seems like they spent the whole year ranked between 6 and 10, and every time they lost they never fell more than 1 spot, if at all. If you have the name, it's bound to get you a few extra votes from people that don't pay that close of attention to what is actually happening from week to week.

Caal

Lord Nagafen Raider
I guess the simple way of looking at things is this: How do you think UVA feels about playing MSU in the second round? My guess is they're pissed off, just like they were last year when MSU was a 4 seed.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I don't mind KU getting that 2 seed. It would have been nice to see ISU jump them after the tournament win but I still get it. They're the best team in the deepest conference. The Big 12 has 5 really good teams this year and 2 others that really weren't too bad either (OKST surprised a bit and Texas shit the bed big time but neither team is bad and certainly both have talent). K State was even supposed to be a tournament team this year.

This conference just beat each other up and I expect a pretty good showing in the tournament from them. Self didn't really have one of his greatest teams this year but that Kansas squad has the talent to match up with every team in the nation outside of Kentucky and that's even with Cliff Alexander suspended.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I honestly think KU is better without Alexander. He was pretty bad all year, and giving Lucas and Mickelson more minutes to improve has made them a better team on the inside

I think of the big 12 teams, ISU has the best shot at winning it. Niang is a beast

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I was pretty shocked that UCLA made the field (who the hell have they beat?), at least Miami beat Duke at Cameron (which is pretty rare for anyone). Weakest 1 seed is Villanova, if UVA had made it to the ACC title game I'm pretty sure they would of gave that spot to them.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I honestly think KU is better without Alexander.
This is a weird one. I get it because you watch the guy play and he's obviously raw and the way Self limited his minutes it's obvious he thought so too, but the production he puts out when he does play is hard to argue with. His offense is pretty limited to junk baskets, but he doesn't put up a lot of misses and he's the best rebounder on the team by far. I've watched him lose guys whenever forced out to the perimeter too, but in the post definitely impacts shot attempts.

Anyway, raw but gifted and watching the improvement Oubre had as the season went on, I wonder if the same could have happened with Alexander if he would have been trusted with some more crunch time minutes over Lucas or Traylor.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
In the post is about the only defense he has, and his offense is similar to Traylor (rebound buckets and some lob dunks).

In any other scenario he is a liability, he pretty much fouls anyone that drives into the lane. If he sticks around next year he might develop enough to be a good starter

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
All I'm saying is his per minute stats don't look that bad (they actually look really, really good). I know there is much more to it.

WhatsAmmataU_sl

shitlord
I was slightly off about Georgia, I'll admit it. They only had to win 1 game in the SEC tournament, not 2 to get in. I thought they would have to get to the SEC title game(and lose) to get in, but they only had to get to the Semi-final to make it in as one of the final bubble teams.

The Georgia vs Mich St game is funny, probably the two most overrated teams this year in the major conferences, and the NCAA matches them up in the first round. Georgia went 0-5 against top-25 teams, yes, not a single win against a top 25 team(and didnt play a single team in the 26-50 range to get a win there either, zero top 50 wins overall), and Michigan State went 1-6 against the top 25, not getting their first top 25 win until the Big 10 tournament when they beat Maryland. Easily the 2 worst records against the top 50 of any Power-5 schools to make the tournament.

Heck, everyone's arguing that UCLA shouldn't have made the field, and they were at least 2-9 against the top 50, better than Georgia, unless someone wants to argue that 0-5 > 2-9 because it's less losses or something...

As for the SEC as a whole though, I don't see them getting a single team past the first weekend other than Kentucky, but then again if Kentucky wins it all the conference ends up looking pretty good, lol.

And bring on the kansas vs Wichita St game in the 2nd round, you can't tell me that wasn't intentional form the committee

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Foggy do you write for Grantland? Fucking lol @ this snippet fromhttp://grantland.com/the-triangle/nc...rizona-kansas/

I was courtside for Texas?s collapse against Iowa State in the Big 12 tournament. It was beautiful. I mean, it was awful and the Longhorns should still be beating themselves up for coming away empty after playing their best game of the season. But that?s what made it so beautiful ? the crown jewel in Rick Barnes?s 17 years of Barnesing at Texas might have come in his last meaningful game for the Longhorns. There was something poetic about it. Barnes didn?t just shoot himself in the foot. He shot himself in the foot, and the kickback from the gun hit him in the face. Then, disoriented from the blow, he shot his other foot, fell down a flight of stairs, and got pantsed by Fred Hoiberg when he tried to stand back up. Texas was up 10 with 3:40 left and the ball in its possession. It lost in regulation. It was the perfect way for Barnes to go out.

But now Texas is in the NCAA tournament, meaning Texas fans have to endure at least one more game of Barnes Barnesing at a level that won?t even register on the Barnesometer. If Texas had been relegated to the NIT, Longhorns fans could?ve skipped the game, looked up the score later, and said, ?Sounds about right,? when they saw that Texas choked in the first round. But with Texas technically in the running for a national title, fans have to watch. And it?s a shame they do. That Iowa State game would?ve been a great swan song for Barnes. Of course, this is assuming Barnes doesn?t sign a five-year extension this summer, which is an assumption we probably shouldn?t be making.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
I don't mind KU getting that 2 seed. It would have been nice to see ISU jump them after the tournament win but I still get it. They're the best team in the deepest conference. The Big 12 has 5 really good teams this year and 2 others that really weren't too bad either (OKST surprised a bit and Texas shit the bed big time but neither team is bad and certainly both have talent). K State was even supposed to be a tournament team this year.

This conference just beat each other up and I expect a pretty good showing in the tournament from them. Self didn't really have one of his greatest teams this year but that Kansas squad has the talent to match up with every team in the nation outside of Kentucky and that's even with Cliff Alexander suspended.
The Big 12 has a house of cards feel to it to me.

KU?s great! OU beat KU! They?re great to! Iowa State beat OU! They?re awesome! Baylor beat ISU! No way! They must be awesome, too!

Round and round you go?. Then we'll see the collapse very shortly in the tournament that happens year after year.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The Big 12 has a house of cards feel to it to me.

KU?s great! OU beat KU! They?re great to! Iowa State beat OU! They?re awesome! Baylor beat ISU! No way! They must be awesome, too!

Round and round you go?. Then we'll see the collapse very shortly in the tournament that happens year after year.
I think that the big 12 is the best conference overall, not that they necessarily have the best teams. I wouldn't consider any of the big 12 teams a top 5 team, but I would consider 5 of them in the top 20. Which will equate to some sweet sixteen and maybe an elite eight or two from the big 12, but more than likely not a final four.

Would you consider that a collapse?

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't understand how Texas isn't competing in football and basketball every year with their recruiting base and money.
The old AD, Mack and Barnes were all buddies and experienced huge success at Texas. The AD didn't want to go through coaching changes when he should have because his career was almost over. Football was allowed to completely rot from the inside so the rebuild is huge. Basketball is quick and easy to fix as long as they land the right coach though.