College Basketball 2014-2015

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Overrated Kansas getting schooled by UK. Did I mention Kansas is overrated...Every...Fucking...Year? They are a rank #15 or so team, nowhere near top 5 or even top 10.

As much as I do not want to admit (and it hurts all over my body to say), UK this year is going to be just stupidly amazing.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I hate kansas as much, and possibly more than anyone here, but Kentucky is going to beat a LOT of teams that badly this year. They have 9-10 NBA players on their roster. Their #6-10 guys could be a top 25 team in their own right. This has the makings of a 35-1 type season for Kentucky, leading into the NCAA tournament. They should be double-digit favorites in virtually every game they play this year.

Kentucky had as many blocked shots (11) as ku had made field goals (11) in this game.

Holy hell

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I don't have much of an issue with the best team in the Big 12 being ranked in the top 5.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Hey, let's not go jumping on that Kentucky bandwagon just yet. They trailed Buffalo at the half.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
As much as I do not want to admit (and it hurts all over my body to say), UK this year is going to be just stupidly amazing.
This year is least I've been up for the start of basketball season since I can remember, and this is part of the reason why. Knowing that Duke should be pretty damn good as well being the other part.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
College Basketball is a crapshoot in November and December. Might be a couple good games per week if there's a random holiday tournament or two teams actually schedule each other (like Kentucky and kansas), but for the most part these first two months are filled with what are the equivalent of pre-season warmups against teams like Colgate, Iona, Canisius, IUPUI, small directional schools you've never heard of, and little private schools that show up to collect their paycheck with their beatdown and go back home.

Division 1 really needs to at least split in half. 350+ schools in D1 is ridiculous. Those bottom 200 can't even think about competing with the top 100-150 or so. And honestly, I'd rather see more at-large teams in the NCAA tournament than these tiny conference teams that show up for their 16 seed, get blown out by 40, and go home. Give me a big conference team with a 18-16 record as that 16 seed, I guarantee it'll be a much more engaging game.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Seems nobody cares about college basketball by now. I expected a Sutekh post by now.
Sorry bro, had a basketball game last night for my league and got home just in time to catch the massive failure of a second half then went right to bed. I don't think anyone really had high expectations of this season for us but man that was bad.

Cooney just lazy as usual, Gbinije looked like the only player that actually wanted to be on the court and he's no where near good enough to be leading the team right now. Rak played like his usual self, turning the ball over everytime he puts it on the ground and Cal just shot lights out from 3. Just a sad showing all around.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Not even your usual fervor. You sound resigned, downtrodden. I too have found myself not really caring about college athletics this season for basically the same reasons already listed.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not even your usual fervor. You sound resigned, downtrodden. I too have found myself not really caring about college athletics this season for basically the same reasons already listed.
Just a down year sadly, if our players can get some good experience and improve this year and we lose no one to the draft we could very easily win the national championship next year. Next year is supposedly the best recruiting class ever at Syracuse.

Royal

Just a down year sadly, if our players can get some good experience and improve this year and we lose no one to the draft we could very easily win the national championship next year. Next year is supposedly the best recruiting class ever at Syracuse.
It's the ACC curse. Every school that joins immediately goes on a downward trend after their first season. I was hoping 'Cuse and Louisville would prove themselves immune.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's the ACC curse. Every school that joins immediately goes on a downward trend after their first season. I was hoping 'Cuse and Louisville would prove themselves immune.
Just a coincidence I think, we all knew it was coming for a couple years now. Honestly we shouldn't have even been as good as we were last year. Tyler Ennis is a moron for declaring for the draft.

He was 100% a product of media hype. If he doesn't hit the game winner at PITT he doesn't even get attention from ESPN and probably stays at Syracuse for 2-3 more years. The kid was not nearly as good as all the media outlets were making him out to be.

Royal

Don't get me wrong, I hate what the loss of talent to the NBA has done to the college game, but I don't fault the guys who leave early because they're striking while the iron is hot. My Heels have had a ton of guys go early over the years, but then there is guys like James Michael McAdoo. He was playing really well at the end of his freshman year and some draft analysts were saying he'd likely go top 5 if he entered the draft. A lot of other fans were in hysterics over those projections because naturally they wanted him to stay. I felt like if he would go that high he should leave. He ended up staying through his junior year (last season) and going undrafted.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
If a kid sticks around more than about 2 years, people almost assume that they aren't good enough to play in the NBA. Playing 3-4 years is almost a curse for your draft stock. Its like it gives NBA scouts enough video of the player to find holes in their game that downgrades their stock. The NBA is more willing to take a chance on a complete unknown (high school kid, or 1 year college player) in the hopes that they have some sort of unseen upside that will surprise everyone, rather than drafting a known commodity, even if that known player is good. NBA teams always want the unknown prize behind door #2 rather than the known prize sitting right in front of them.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Don't get me wrong, I hate what the loss of talent to the NBA has done to the college game, but I don't fault the guys who leave early because they're striking while the iron is hot. My Heels have had a ton of guys go early over the years, but then there is guys like James Michael McAdoo. He was playing really well at the end of his freshman year and some draft analysts were saying he'd likely go top 5 if he entered the draft. A lot of other fans were in hysterics over those projections because naturally they wanted him to stay. I felt like if he would go that high he should leave. He ended up staying through his junior year (last season) and going undrafted.
That's the thing, "striking while the iron is hot" really doesn't work if you just lack the raw talent. Most of the kids you watch, it's pretty damn obvious who can make it in the NBA and who can't and that's just coming from the perspective of a fan, rather than an NBA scout. If you have the obvious talent you will make it in the NBA after one year but it doesn't always work that way. Look at someone like Stephen Curry, he stayed 3 years and now is one of the best players in the league. What's it matter if you're drafted high but then instantly go to some d-league team where you fail? You're better off getting your degree and developing your game.

Kids don't want to hear that though, they just want to meet rappers and make dolla dolla bills yall.

Royal

What's it matter if you're drafted high but then instantly go to some d-league team where you fail? You're better off getting your degree and developing your game
At least they get that rookie contract. Sure it's not the really big money, but it's more than they might end up with otherwise. I never really bought into the notion that live games against college caliber competition was any better at developing players than practicing against pros is. The guys who are capable of making it will make it. If they're inclined to get a degree in the first place, they'll go back for it either way.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
He was 100% a product of media hype. If he doesn't hit the game winner at PITT he doesn't even get attention from ESPN and probably stays at Syracuse for 2-3 more years. The kid was not nearly as good as all the media outlets were making him out to be.
The stats backed this up too. Sounds similar to what happened with Jonny Flynn and that UConn game that went to 4OT or whatever.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
At least they get that rookie contract. Sure it's not the really big money, but it's more than they might end up with otherwise. I never really bought into the notion that live games against college caliber competition was any better at developing players than practicing against pros is. The guys who are capable of making it will make it. If they're inclined to get a degree in the first place, they'll go back for it either way.
I think it boils down to two different type of players, you have the super stars that are going to lead their team and command the massive salaries. These are the people who usually stay 1-2 years, like Blake Griffin, Chris Paul, Kevin Durant, etc. But for the rest of the players in the league, 4 years at school will help them develop well. Look at Fab Melo, sure the kid was a moron in school and couldn't pass his classes, but he's definitely someone who would have benefited from staying 2 more years. He improved greatly from year 1->2 and would have only got better with more time, instead he forgoes his two years, goes to the NBA, gets drafted 22nd, instantly to D-League then left D-League to play in Brazil.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
That's the thing, "striking while the iron is hot" really doesn't work if you just lack the raw talent. Most of the kids you watch, it's pretty damn obvious who can make it in the NBA and who can't and that's just coming from the perspective of a fan, rather than an NBA scout. If you have the obvious talent you will make it in the NBA after one year but it doesn't always work that way. Look at someone like Stephen Curry, he stayed 3 years and now is one of the best players in the league. What's it matter if you're drafted high but then instantly go to some d-league team where you fail? You're better off getting your degree and developing your game.

Kids don't want to hear that though, they just want to meet rappers and make dolla dolla bills yall.
Ennis at a bare minimum is going to make 3 million dollars. And it's probably with 99% certainty unless he gets in trouble with the law or something that number jumps to 7 million as all teams pick up rookie deal options. You can't blame someone for leaving for that.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ennis at a bare minimum is going to make 3 million dollars. And it's probably with 99% certainty unless he gets in trouble with the law or something that number jumps to 7 million as all teams pick up rookie deal options. You can't blame someone for leaving for that.
No I really can't, you're right. I had no idea he was going to make that kind of money as I really do not follow the NBA. That's insane.