College Basketball 2014-2015

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Well, this season has NIT written all over it for Mizzou. New head coach, and while he got 2 big 4-star recruits right off the bat, one is still having qualification/clearinghouse issues, and since we aren't North Carolina or Duke, the NCAA is taking it's sweet time on reviewing his case. He probably won't play this year.

We hung in there with #2 Arizona last night. Ended up losing by 18, but Mizzou had a lead for a good chunk of the first half, and the entire game we were within about 5 points of them until about the last 8 minutes, and Arizona went off and couldn't miss a shot and ballooned the lead. I expected a big loss, we aren't an NCAA tournament team this year, much less a Final-4 caliber team like Arizona is.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Well, this season has NIT written all over it for Mizzou. New head coach, and while he got 2 big 4-star recruits right off the bat, one is still having qualification/clearinghouse issues, and since we aren't North Carolina or Duke, the NCAA is taking it's sweet time on reviewing his case. He probably won't play this year.

We hung in there with #2 Arizona last night. Ended up losing by 18, but Mizzou had a lead for a good chunk of the first half, and the entire game we were within about 5 points of them until about the last 8 minutes, and Arizona went off and couldn't miss a shot and ballooned the lead. I expected a big loss, we aren't an NCAA tournament team this year, much less a Final-4 caliber team like Arizona is.
It's still early - you shouldn't worry too much. I don't see Mizzou as a NIT team, but a low seed team currently. I think you guys will be fine overall.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Had to turn down free Syracuse tickets tonight because of work, sad times bros.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
New head coach, and while he got 2 big 4-star recruits right off the bat, one is still having qualification/clearinghouse issues, and since we aren't North Carolina or Duke, the NCAA is taking it's sweet time on reviewing his case. He probably won't play this year.
Switch out Carolina for Auburn there. The NCAA took it's sweet loving time reviewing each of the assorted issues that cropped up at Carolina the past few years involving both football and basketball players.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Switch out Carolina for Auburn there. The NCAA took it's sweet loving time reviewing each of the assorted issues that cropped up at Carolina the past few years involving both football and basketball players.
I'm not giving Carolina a pass on anything unless the NCAA brings down the hammer of god on them for all these fake classes(but I doubt they will). Roy Williams cheated his ass off at kansas, and he's still doing it.

Royal

I didn't say give them a pass, I said the NCAA didn't move with all due speed in dealing with them either.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
I love the fact that somehow Tennessee has hired two basketball coaches(Pearl and now Tyndall) and who immediately got blitzed by the NCAA. Meanwhile Derick Rose had someone take his ACT for him, UNC has had fake classes institutionally for two decades, and everyone and their brother knows recruiting in college basketball is dirty as fuck. Yet somehow we're always the ones getting shit on.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
I love the fact that somehow Tennessee has hired two basketball coaches(Pearl and now Tyndall) and who immediately got blitzed by the NCAA. Meanwhile Derick Rose had someone take his ACT for him, UNC has had fake classes institutionally for two decades, and everyone and their brother knows recruiting in college basketball is dirty as fuck. Yet somehow we're always the ones getting shit on.
Unless you are UK, UNC, Duke, Kansas, the NCAA will look into you. Yes, UNC just got reemed on their academic issue, I however am doubtful the NCAA will do jack-shit about it, or they will impose very minor sanctions. I firmly believe most recruiting is pretty legitimate, even amongst top-tier programs. The notion that recruiting in college is dirty is somewhat over-exaggerated outside a few programs.

I know when I went to University of Louisville, I had countless classes with football and basketball players (not the benchwarmers, but every game play time type of player) that were pretty active in class discussions and such. They did not demonstrate being complete and utter idiots that are skirting by due to their player "status." Not sure what it is like at other schools, but going by the experience with a top-tier basketball school I assume it is common in lesser schools to have active players be active in classes.

Royal

Unless you are UK, UNC, Duke, Kansas, the NCAA will look into you. Yes, UNC just got reemed on their academic issue, I however am doubtful the NCAA will do jack-shit about it, or they will impose very minor sanctions.
You're forgetting that UNC had 2 players investigated just last year for improper benefits, which resulted in the end of PJ Hairston's college career. And you're right, the academic improprieties aren't likely to draw much in the way of punishment from the NCAA, but I don't think them having occurred at one of the "blue bloods" has anything to do with it. I don't think the NCAA wants to get into the enforcing academic standards business, because that's one closet a lot of their member institutions are likely to have skeletons in, and they know it.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Whelp. I know who isn't playing point guard anymore. Turns the ball over twice <20 seconds and then shoots the ugliest shot I've ever seen in my life. God damn Joseph.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Amazing first half, then piss-poor second half. Pitino has some work to do...

But a win is a win I guess?

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Holy shit, the UK vs. Columbia game must have had the worst officiating I have ever seen. My coworker who is a diehard UK fan was even making comments about the lack of blatant calls against UK (constant reaching over the back). Didn't bother him though, a "win is a win."

4 fouls in 1.5 minutes against Columbia, jesus...

How the hell did UK blow Kansas out but only win by 10 against Columbia is beyond me. Is Kansas just that overrated or is UK that mediocre?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Sounds like a classic case of a team playing to the level of its competition. Florida St did it the entire season in football.

And, how bad is Michigan this year? First they lose to NJIT(who?) and now to Eastern Michigan(havent been in NCAA tournament in 15 years)

And how did Michigan beat Syracuse last week?

NOTHING MAKES ANY SENSE