College Basketball 2014-2015

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
NBA first round has fully guaranteed contracts, so if you're going to be a first it's hard to fault a kid for going. If you're not a guaranteed first....get a damn degree.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
If kids fall to the 2nd round of the NBA draft, they should be allowed to go back to school, but that NBA team still retains the rights to them once their college career is over.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Is there any good reason for the D league not to supplant college? "College tradition" doesn't count. And neither does "the NCAA is greedy and powerful" even if that is the actual reason it won't.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Is there any good reason for the D league not to supplant college? "College tradition" doesn't count. And neither does "the NCAA is greedy and powerful" even if that is the actual reason it won't.
Because that would suck? People watch college ball to root for their school. Who the fuck wants to watch the D-league even the talent goes there? It's not interesting to most people.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Nobody in the US pays much attention to minor-league sports, whether its MLB A, AA, AAA ball, NBA D-league, or whatever. People felt the same way about NFL Europe when it was around.

College sports are different, since there is more there to draw fans than just purely the players and the sports, most people are fiercely loyal to their alma mater regardless of who is playing for them at any given time.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
That's kinda my point. Being loyal to these rotating rosters of kids is becoming increasingly frustrating. It's hard to get behind "my school" when the people that representing it are playing like shit.

And why does this tradition only exist for college teams? Why aren't you loyal to your high school basketball team? At least their roster is more stable.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's kinda my point. Being loyal to these rotating rosters of kids is becoming increasingly frustrating. It's hard to get behind "my school" when the people that representing it are playing like shit.

And why does this tradition only exist for college teams? Why aren't you loyal to your high school basketball team? At least their roster is more stable.
Most people are. Go down to a high school football field on friday night for a team that's good and you'll see shit loads of people that have no other reason to be there than they want to see their school win.

Basketball's a little different, but the loyalty for sure exists in football.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider

Mainly because high school isn't televised all over the country. I'd watch my high school football team every Friday night if it were on TV, and I'm 20 years removed from high school, but I don't live in that town anymore. College sports have a big enough following that they are on TV nationally, so alumni can follow them no matter where they live.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I guess it's a foreign concept for me. I went to a high school with no football team. The soccer team was good though, won a couple state championships while I was there.

I do want to point out that you said "for a team that's good". There's a base level of play that's required for me to be a fan. College just has not offered that in a while. Uconn winning championships with shit teams should be proof enough.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I guess it's a foreign concept for me. I went to a high school with no football team. The soccer team was good though, won a couple state championships while I was there.

I do want to point out that you said "for a team that's good". There's a base level of play that's required for me to be a fan. College just has not offered that in a while. Uconn winning championships with shit teams should be proof enough.
Yeah it's no secret the NBA has ruined the quality of college basketball lately. The era where good players stay for 4 years is long gone.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Aren't you a Syracuse fan? Fuck that. They were just in the Final Four last year.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Aren't you a Syracuse fan? Fuck that. They were just in the Final Four last year.
I am a Syracuse fan. Or, to be fair, given the last few posts, maybe I was a Syracuse fan.

Syracuse lost in the second round last year to Dayton. Maybe you have them confused with Florida? And that aside, I don't consider that any measure of quality. If the whole package stinks, getting to the FF is no yardstick of good basketball.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
From the NBA's perspective, it's a free D league that does a much better job of building a following for their future players than an actual minor league system ever would. Not that I think it does actually build such followings particularly well. A lot of college fans watch little to no pro ball or downright resent the NBA for diminishing the college game. But that's how they see it.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
I am a Syracuse fan. Or, to be fair, given the last few posts, maybe I was a Syracuse fan.

Syracuse lost in the second round last year to Dayton. Maybe you have them confused with Florida? And that aside, I don't consider that any measure of quality. If the whole package stinks, getting to the FF is no yardstick of good basketball.
What a shit fan you are. I'm still fucking psyched we went to the final four in 2010. We didn't even go to the tournament last year but I still watch every game.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
What a shit fan you are. I'm still fucking psyched we went to the final four in 2010. We didn't even go to the tournament last year but I still watch every game.
Lets be fair here, Syracuse making the Final Four and WVU making the Final Four are a little bit different.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
From the NBA's perspective, it's a free D league that does a much better job of building a following for their future players than an actual minor league system ever would. Not that I think it does actually build such followings particularly well. A lot of college fans watch little to no pro ball or downright resent the NBA for diminishing the college game. But that's how they see it.
Yeah this. The D Leaguecouldbe this if money was put into it but right now kids are going to get better coaching and learn a little bit about life in college. D League teams right now play glorified street ball where a dozen or so fringe NBA players are just trying to pad their stats to get call ups.