College Football 2017-2018 Season

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
If Georgia, Clemson, Oklahoma and Ohio State win, you have:

Georgia, Clemson, Oklahoma... and Alabama/Miami/Ohio State.

I’m not saying Alabama gets in, but if you think the committee wouldn’t consider putting them in ahead of tOSU and the U you haven’t been paying attention to the committees mental gymnastics over the years.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Ohio St and Miami both have far worse losses on their record than Bama. It doesn't take a huge level of mental gymnastics to compare the three and have Alabama come out on top.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
If Georgia, Clemson, Oklahoma and Ohio State win, you have:

Georgia, Clemson, Oklahoma... and Alabama/Miami/Ohio State.

I’m not saying Alabama gets in, but if you think the committee wouldn’t consider putting them in ahead of tOSU and the U you haven’t been paying attention to the committees mental gymnastics over the years.

I'm sure they would consider it, but with the Ohio State fiasco last year they won't be putting a non conference winning bama in over a conference winning Ohio State that just beat an undefeated P5 opponent for their conference championship.

edit for Tenks:

One of the few things the committee has stated and is pretty well known is that they don't value who you lost to near as much as who you beat. Alabama has beaten exactly nobody.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
My dream scenario is Auburn, Ohio State, TCU and Stanford win. Somehow this might let UCF in the playoff.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
One of the few things the committee has stated and is pretty well known is that they don't value who you lost to near as much as who you beat. Alabama has beaten exactly nobody.

Fair point. I just don't see losing to Iowa and Pitt as acceptable losses to play for the championship. But Bama has been tested once and lost so not like they have a stellar resume.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
I do wish for more transparency from the committee. The only two constants so far seem to be that they value quality of wins over losses and how convincing those wins actually are. Beyond that its a crap shoot as to what they value more. In the scenario where it is Alabama and Ohio State vying for the last spot I don't see how it could go in Bama's favor. Their best win is against a 3 loss LSU team with Mississippi State being their only other decent win and that was a close game even with the Mississippi State QB going out with an injury. Their loss is quality if you assume that Auburn beats Georgia, but if they lose then their loss is against a three loss team. They also played Mercer.

Ohio state has a win against a top two team and top ten team at the times they played in Penn State and Michigan State. They also absolutely destroyed Michigan State as opposed to the close game Alabama had against Mississippi State. The assumption here is that they also beat Wisconsin which would add a top three team to their list that comes with a conference championship. Ohio State losses are Oklahoma (current number 2) and the admittedly horrid loss against Iowa. I think the Iowa loss can be cancelled out by 'Bama playing fucking Mercer. I just don't see a way outside of some intangible fuckery that Alabama gets the nod in this scenario.

edit:

Alabama should probably get in over Miami in the scenario but even then I think it is pretty damn close. Miami has better quality wins in Notre Dame and Virginia Tech but yes they did lose to Pitt and would be a 2 loss team even if their other loss is to the current number one Clemson.

Last edited:

Rais

Trakanon Raider
If you play Mercer and have a loss at the end of the season after that game, you don't belong.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kaines

Potato Supreme
If you can't even play in your own Conference's Championship game, you don't belong on the short list for a National Championship game. There should only be 8 possible teams eligible for the final 4 (9 if UCF goes undefeated). Picking from those 8/9 should be the committees only option. Anything else is a complete joke of a sporting event.

And it's pathetic that the best form of football we have in this country is by far, without question, is the absolute worst at selecting its champion.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Gundy would be idiotic not to accept the offer that I'm hearing - $8.5mm/year is the third highest paid college coach in history. I love Okie State, but Tennessee is a much bigger program and I feel like he could have a ton of success against the SEC East. The bar is set so low, that 7-5 the first season is a banner year. At Poke State, he's basically peaked. Best case scenario for OSU is 11-1, 10-2 and a decent shot at the playoff. His record against OU is horrible (I don't really blame him TOO much for that btw), you'll always be little brother in the Big 12 with OU & Texas if they ever get their shit together. Tennessee, you have what... UGA (LOL) & Florida - you can compete with that and Gundy is a better coach than either of those schools have. I hope he stays, but he'd be insane to stay at $8.5mm. Tennessee is ripe to get good again.

Okie State will be royally fucked though.... maybe, best case scenario we could lure Monken back. i liked that crazy bastard.

• 1Like

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Gundy would be idiotic not to accept the offer that I'm hearing - $8.5mm/year is the third highest paid college coach in history. I love Okie State, but Tennessee is a much bigger program and I feel like he could have a ton of success against the SEC East. The bar is set so low, that 7-5 the first season is a banner year. At Poke State, he's basically peaked. Best case scenario for OSU is 11-1, 10-2 and a decent shot at the playoff. His record against OU is horrible (I don't really blame him TOO much for that btw), you'll always be little brother in the Big 12 with OU & Texas if they ever get their shit together. Tennessee, you have what... UGA (LOL) & Florida - you can compete with that and Gundy is a better coach than either of those schools have. I hope he stays, but he'd be insane to stay at $8.5mm. Tennessee is ripe to get good again.

Okie State will be royally fucked though.... maybe, best case scenario we could lure Monken back. i liked that crazy bastard.

The ONLY reason to go to Rockytop would be the money. The program is a shell of its former self. It's like the Nebraska job. Too many people rate the program waaaaaay to high based on accomplishments that occurred before kids these programs are trying to recruit were even born.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
The SEC has better bag men than the Big 12, so I think Gundy will be ok there.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

Too soon?

HnAVnKc.png

• 3Worf
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 3 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Are we really ok with this committee's rankings? Like, thier justifications change every week to keep certain teams within striking diatance if the playoffs no matter how bad their wins or losses are. At this point it is just fucking retarded.

• 1Solidarity

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Are we really ok with this committee's rankings? Like, thier justifications change every week to keep certain teams within striking diatance if the playoffs no matter how bad their wins or losses are. At this point it is just fucking retarded.

No and I have been saying this for years. Expand the playoffs and tell the "committee" to go fuck itself. There should never be any opinion involved in picking playofff teams. Its a complete joke. It was a joke last year when they left Penn out for Ohio too.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
This committee. Ah well, here is to hoping everyone wins out.

Auburn is ahead of Oklahoma because quality wins matter, but Alabama is ahead of Miami, Georgia, and OSU because sometimes they don't. I'm so rustled right now.

Fresno (the fuck?) and Mississippi state in the top 25. Total joke, and what the hell did they do to poor UCF?

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
One of the finest sports in the world, utterly ruined by corruption, greed and incompetence. The 4 team playoff is better than the BCS.... marginally. It's still utter shit. Auburn, with 2 losses is #2 and OU with 1 loss is #3. Seems legit. OU beats tOSU on the road, utterly dominates them and Auburn beats Bama at home. I hope Wisky wins just to fuck things up

Gundy seems like he's staying. I'm more than down for another 10 years of 9-11 win seasons and beating OU once every 7 years. Sign me up!!!

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Not even I can get behind these shenanigans. I’d really like to see it expanded also. Will likely miss the SECCG because of a date. We either better lose and/or I better get laid.

• 2Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
There should never be any opinion involved in picking playofff teams. Its a complete joke.

So, what does a system without opinion look like in a college landscape? Any system will have some imperfections.

Just look at something like the pro sports that don't have an opinion system and are a lot easier to deal with given the smaller number of teams and the amount of games between them. You still see good teams out of the playoffs and bad teams get in. In the NFL, there's been 11-5 teams that don't get in and 7-9 teams that do. In the NBA, there's been sub .500 teams that get in while 50 win teams don't. All because of divisions and conference benefits.

• 1Cutler