Comic Books

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I think they're taking breaks to re-energize themselves. They don't want it to become just another book that has to push out an issue every month. They actually care about the story, so they spend time thinking about it.

It's been very worth it thus far.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, it is so unique, I really do like it a lot. Probably my favorite comic since reading Sandman back in the day.

I have fallen off reading the new Valiant stuff. I will probably start back in in a few months or so but I just got out of it. And the stories got a bit tedious in some respects. Maybe I was just not in the right headspace for it.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Oh, another slightly mature comic that I really liked was called The Authority. The 1st series, and the Jenny Sparks mini-series. They were both very good, and you can get all of them on Trade Paperback. It's an older series that began in 1999. I really enjoyed it.

The basic concept is very similar to Invincible. These are a group of people that become government super heroes. Lots of shit happens. It's entertaining and very original.

Volume 1:Authority, The: Relentless: Warren Ellis: 9781563896613: Amazon.com: Books
Volume 2:http://www.amazon.com/The-Authority-...4665053&sr=8-1'
Volume 3:Authority, The: Earth Inferno and Other Stories: Mark Millar: 9781563898549: Amazon.com: Books
Volume 4:Authority, The: Transfer of Power: Mark Millar, Tom Peyer: 9781401200206: Amazon.com: Books
Jenny Sparks:Jenny Sparks: The Secret History of the Authority: Mark Millar, John Layman, John McCrea, James Hodgkins, Warren Ellis, Ian Hannin: 9781563897696: Amazon.com: Books

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Fuck GotG #20 and fuck Bendis.
I would have liked to have seen some Nova + Worldmind interaction. Saving 2 very low power friends and keeping Thanos out of the 616 still would not trump the 100% decimation of the Xandar. Worldmind's number 1 objective is preservation above all else, even to the extent of getting rid of Richard and reforming the Nova Corps.

But yea Abnett/Lanning Nova was the best Marvel Superhero for me, since forever, and he's reduced to Quasar status. (oh wait quasar is alive again, well fuck it)

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh, another slightly mature comic that I really liked was called The Authority. The 1st series, and the Jenny Sparks mini-series. They were both very good, and you can get all of them on Trade Paperback. It's an older series that began in 1999. I really enjoyed it.
I loved all the Warren Ellis issues, later ones were still good but not quite up to that level. People here yell at me that I should read Planetary instead. It's on my list.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I loved all the Warren Ellis issues, later ones were still good but not quite up to that level. People here yell at me that I should read Planetary instead. It's on my list.
WTF!?

Planetary

Now

NaoooOo

(=^?^=)

When life gives you a shitty Wildstorm Aquisition/Merger and your good 'ol Authority has been reduced to worse than the Justice League.

You can bank on Planetary, it's only 27 issues, you can run through that with a good cup of coffee, of course you'll be flipping back through the issues and "HOLY SHIT that was there!"

Amazon.com: The Planetary Omnibus (9781401242381): Warren Ellis: Books

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
lol, Beyonder-Brainiac

come on!

problem DC has now is that new 52 sucks and does not work. I mean who likes this shit? i think they made Barbara Gordon an alcoholic college slut? Thats why they got rid of Gale simone?

Futures end is shit, i've read sporadic issues here and there and it's just shit. It reminds me of a worse version of Xmen:the End, at least that series had a nice cohesion, Futures end is just, wtf i hate DC shit, really only enjoying Injustice, never thought I'd say that about a comicbook/game tie in, and right now, hey they tieing in shit with Constantine, sure why not. (i'm guessing cuz of the new show)

Caliane

frown.png

.oh, full disclosure on ethics in comics journalism.
I work on Jl3k, Supergirl, Infinity man, and Futures end from DC comics currently.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What i really hated about futures end was the "mystery", "oh no is half covered face superman, really alive!?!?!" how disingenuous, if he's not really superman then he's obviously shazam, i mean come on. i think issue24, when it was revealed, all of us in the comic store were like, well duh, wtf dC, wtf.

But are you on like the futuristic titles or something? since JL3k and futures end.

Caliane

The weekly nature of it, does make spoilers a bit too easy to find. Solicits, covers, etc are just too obvious, since you have them something like 20 issues in advance.
Like right now, Madison. Amusing, I will say, I do not have the script for what will happen to her.. so, its possible I'm wrong.. but, take a look at the previews, and teasers.. it should be blatantly obvious.

Futures end is being much better received then I expected. I'll admit, I am not a super fan of it. I was very critical of the free comic day 0 issue.
Grimdark, badend everyone. Body horror. someone loses an arm every week, to the point I think its on purpose now.
Pacing concerns are totally valid. We have what 6 stories going on at once. some get 5 pages a week, others go a week or two with nothing.
Inconsistent art. 6 artists. Weekly format. consistency is a nightmare.

Jl3k on the other hand, I am extremely proud of.

I don't do the client relations, so can't really say how its decided which titles we at HiFi work on. which they come to us for, etc. We worked with Howard Porter on Threshold, his Mongul oneshot. so its likely jl3k was intentionally keep together. sometimes we do pick ups. Ive done red hood stuff, superman/ww stuff, superman, etc. I think that is how we started doing Supergirl, we started on that on issue 25 or so?
Futures end makes sense, as a studio we can do all of them. No singular colorist could do a book/week consistently. (well some could honestly..), or then get 2-4 separate colorists, and have issues potentially not match. so a studio/house would be better equipped to keep it consistent.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
No one at my store even talked about JL3k after the first issue, (this was like a year ago?) from what i remember, some future, gene manipulated JL guys w/ messed up memories? i'm mean if you're proud of it, i'll give the run a try and call up my store tonite to include the year for my pull and check it out. if anything i remember the art was nice so i could just end up giving it to my nephew. (who is really into art)

Caliane

"What we're really addressing is they all exist and have existed and exist within the framework of the New 52," Lee explains. "Convergence is in many ways the most meta epic event we've done."

Everything is canon. There is not 52 universes, there is infinite universes. Infinite multiverses, omniverses. your head canon, is canon. The authors intent is canon. The death of the author is canon. The audiences reception is canon. both based on the same story.
we are as much of the living story as the stories themselves. The idea of Batman, superman, etc as a concept is canon. Its part of human personal, and collective consciousness. The interaction between fans, authors, and creations is real. Look how Marvel movies effect the comic representations. This also happens in DC. in fact, other things as well, as we rally with or against hipster invasion with Batgirl, etc...
They inspire us, we inspire them.
Multiversity, Convergance, Hypercrisis.

Caliane

No one at my store even talked about JL3k after the first issue, (this was like a year ago?) from what i remember, some future, gene manipulated JL guys w/ messed up memories? i'm mean if you're proud of it, i'll give the run a try and call up my store tonite to include the year for my pull and check it out. if anything i remember the art was nice so i could just end up giving it to my nephew. (who is really into art)
Yeah, I am pretty happy with the art.
Howard Porter is killing it.
Story is pretty fun. Very tongue in cheek.
uyqYbed.jpg

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
frown.png

.oh, full disclosure on ethics in comics journalism.
I work on Jl3k, Supergirl, Infinity man, and Futures end from DC comics currently.
Congrats. I know you did the independent thing for awhile. Hopefully, this pays better?

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Why didn't you guys tell me about comics + the cloud + ipads? I uploaded some comics to the cloud, and now I can pull up any comic from anywhere in the world? It's awesome. It's like I've died and gone to nerd heaven.

Caliane

Congrats. I know you did the independent thing for awhile. Hopefully, this pays better?
oh, ive been doing this for years now. Indie stuff is on the side. I think Justice League generations lost was my first regular for DC comics. 2010 looks like, checking back. Lots of 1 shot stuff. Doc savage, Booster gold, Shazam, Magog.
Titans v2 was regular too. Marvel stuff isn't monthlies. its been painted stuff, ala Golden books. Disney too. we do Image, dark horse and randoms as well.
I have Dr who 12th Dr, dr who 11th dr atm. The evil within game tie-in comic. Sidekick, Dream Police, all as ongoings atm as well.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Why didn't you guys tell me about comics + the cloud + ipads? I uploaded some comics to the cloud, and now I can pull up any comic from anywhere in the world? It's awesome. It's like I've died and gone to nerd heaven.
yea ipad is as good as anything to view (i really like the 10 vs. the 7 of my other tablet), but then i'm a foggie that likes the smell of paper and my parents are only about 1hours away now with a basement, so like instant storage!