Comic Books

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I don't know about "All Good", but the original Infinity Gauntlet which also had a little miniseries lead-up (Infinity Quest? or something) that was the lead up to show about how Thanos got the gems to lead off Infinity Gauntlet. This plus Thanos Imperative was the key Thanos stuff to me.

Infinity War/Abyss/Crusade/Watch was all too little Thanos and too much Adam Warlock, who I never cared much personally.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Infinity Gauntlet and Thanos Imperative are definitelythebooks to read. But I've always had a thing for the Marvel Cosmic stuff, so your mileage may vary.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
NERD FIGHT!
smile.png

I'm not saying everything else is horrible. I just don't think, say, Infinity Crusade with the Goddess and whatever, was on par with either Infinity Gauntlet or Thanos Imperative.

The original was a pretty brilliant piece of work, then they kind of turned into "Summer Blockbuster Sequliitis" events, where while cool and interesting and important to the "lore" in their ways, not really as good as the original.

If you have the inclination to read 200 issues worth of comics. Go for it, everything "Infinity" related will cover every bit and it'll be a pretty fun ride. Really though, the 30ish issues of the original Gauntlet and Imperative (plus add-ons) is the core meat of Thanos lovin'.

smile.png

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Like usual, wiki answers all:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanos

Thanos' first appearance was in an extended storyline that spanned Iron Man #55 (Feb. 1973), Captain Marvel #25-33 (bi-monthly: March 1973 - Jan. 1974), Marvel Feature #12 (Nov. 1973), Daredevil #107 (Jan. 1974), and Avengers #125 (July 1974). He returned in an extended storyline that spanned Strange Tales #178-181 (Feb.-Aug. 1975), Warlock #9-11 (Oct. 1975 - Jan. 1976), Marvel Team Up #55 (March 1977), and the 1977 Annuals for Avengers and Marvel Two-in-One (Thanos does not actually appear until the end of Warlock #9). He was also featured in a short backup story in Logan's Run #6 (June 1977) and had a small role in the Death of Captain Marvel graphic novel (April 1982).
The character was revived in Silver Surfer vol. 3 #34 (Feb. 1990) and guest-starred until issue #50 (June 1991), while simultaneously appearing in Thanos Quest #1-2 (Sept.-Oct. 1990) and Infinity Gauntlet #1-6 (July-Dec. 1991). Thanos had a recurring role in Warlock and the Infinity Watch #1-42 (Feb. 1992 - Aug. 1995). This was followed by crossover appearances in Infinity War #1-6 (June - Nov. 1992), Infinity Crusade #1-6 (June - Nov. 1993), Silver Surfer vol. 3 #86-88 (Nov. 1993 - Jan. 1994), Warlock Chronicles #6-8, Thor #468-471 (Nov. 1993 - Feb. 1994), Secret Defenders #11-14 (Jan.-April 1994), Cosmic Powers #1-6 (March-July 1994), and Cosmic Powers Unlimited #1 (May 1995).
Thanos appeared in a connected storyline in Ka-Zar vol. 2 #4-11 (Aug. 1997 - March 1998), Ka-Zar Annual (1997), and the X-Man and Hulk Annual (1998), before featuring in Thor vol. 2 #21-25 (March - July 2000) and the 2000 Annual. The character was next used in Captain Marvel vol. 4 #17-19 (June-Aug. 2001), Avengers: Celestial Quest #1-8 (Nov. 2001- June 2002), and the Infinity Abyss #1-6 (Aug. - Oct. 2002).
In 2004 Thanos received an eponymous title that ran for 12 issues. In 2006, the character played an important role in Annihilation: Silver Surfer #1-4 (June - Sept. 2006) and Annihilation #1-6 (Oct. 2006 - March 2007). The character was re-introduced in Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 #24-25 (April-May 2010) and played a major role in The Thanos Imperative: Ignition (June 2010) and The Thanos Imperative #1-6 (July-Dec. 2010).
The character returned in Avengers Assemble #1 (March 2012).[4] A mini-series titled Thanos: Son of Titan by Joe Keatinge was planned for publication in August 2012, but was cancelled.[5]
The character's origin will be revisited and expanded in an upcoming miniseries by Jason Aaron and Simone Bianchi titled Thanos Rising. The first issue will be released in April.
40 years of Thanos!

p.s. I fuckin' hate you guys. I have been comics clean for a few years now, I quit when DC comics rebooted, some kind of X-men event (the monkeys came from the futures past or something?) and something about Grey Gargoyle killing everyone in Paris with Iron Man there.

Now like 3 posts here and I'm like "Oooo, I should pick up that Avenger's Assemble #1 with Thanos..."

Fuckyoufuckyoufuckyou.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Holy crap.

Caliane pointed this out in another thread, but Batman: Brave and the Bold, Batman Beyond, Justice League and JLU are now on Netflix streaming. Apparently Green Lantern will be also.

No more low def rips with crappy audio on these.

fucker_sl

shitlord
What would be the best way to read the best stuff on Thanos?

Like which story arc's and in which order?
- the Thanos Quest is absolute the masterpiece of Thanos comicology

- Infinity Gauntlet, Infinity War and Infinity Crusade are must read (Crusade is inferior quality but still good)

- You should then read Marvel:The End (a small miniserie that is supposed to be non-canon) just for the last few pages

- then the miniserie The Samaritan

- Samaritan will lead you to Annihilation, a massive cosmic crossover. Must read. Every part of it (after that there were other 2 crossovers called "Realm of Kings" and "War of Kings". Thanos is not present in them, but their storyline will bring you directly to....)

- Thanos Imperative. The last major Thanos appearance. Read it from start to finish, including the series interlinked with it ("Nova" and "Guardian of the Galaxy")

this will bring you up to date with the major "modern" Thanos appearence (for modern i mean after his resurrection)

An origin story will start next month called Thanos Rising. They probably want to prepare him for the movies

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
This age of Ultron feels too familiar. Let me guess, they'll find a way to re-do time and no one will have died.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
There was way too much destroyed in the very first page or two, it distracts from the story when you spend half the time wondering which way they'll go about undoing it.

Still annoyed Age of X turned out the way it did.

Caliane

who are you?

Cons scare me, and so busy working, never have time for them either.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
This age of Ultron feels too familiar. Let me guess, they'll find a way to re-do time and no one will have died.
Just like any other industry, when something works and is huge the first time, "Age of Apocolypse" they keep re-doing it over and over again. By now it's just a really tired plot scenario that lets writers fuck with characters and kill off anyone they want while not having to worry about Earth-616 heroes.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just like any other industry, when something works and is huge the first time, "Age of Apocolypse" they keep re-doing it over and over again. By now it's just a really tired plot scenario that lets writers fuck with characters and kill off anyone they want while not having to worry about Earth-616 heroes.
The only reason I'm reading Age of Ultron is that it's the big crossover right now. But, like you said, "it's a really tired plot scenario," and I find it boring.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
At this point the whole Big Cross-over Event that Marvel and DC keep doing are so tired. I just don't care about any of them anymore. Sometimes they manage to start with a bang but they almost always end in a whimper. Just tell some GOOD stories please. Stop trying to sell comics by having everyone crossing over with everyone elses books which makes you almost have to buy every issue to have a clue with what's going on. I've migrated to smaller publishers these days and enjoy the smaller (comparatively speaking) scopes of their stories. I've only read the first omnibus edition of The Stuff of Legends and it has blown me away so far. And several books from Boom! Studios are fun as hell to read. Adventure Time is pure gold and Regular Show has a book starting up soon too which I'm really looking forward to.

Caliane

its natural as you grow older. Mainstream comics are not for mature readers really.
That is the point of the constant reboots of the big stuff. Keep a status quo, so when a new comic reader comes in looking for what to read, they have something familiar to start with.

12yr old walks into a comic shop. he does not pick up Lucifer, he does not pick up Atomic robo, he does not pick up Demon Knights. he picks up uncanny xmen, or Justice league, or Batman, or Spiderman.
They maintain the status quo for that. If you are a veteran comic reader, I hope that stuff has largely become stale for you. Its a constant rehash. check out the C listers. the question, batwoman, booster gold, Demon knights,Powergirl, etc for DC. Marvel uh... not sure on what C list is good atm. Thunderbolts was good. Hawkeye is amazing right now. C list gives the writers alot more room to do what they want.

(honestly kindof like new xmen, Avengers, etc...) There is some backlash on that. Mainstream stuff also has the best writers on it. Grant morrison, Hickman, etc. Wonderwoman right now is one of the best books on the market.

But yeah. fuck mainstream. I kill giants, red wing, the manhatten projects, Mind the gap, Rachel Rising, Saga, Prophet, Glory, Harbringer, Morning glories etc I could go on all day.. the best stuff is definitely not DC/Marvel.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
As a 12 year old when I started getting into comic books I didn't even know you could have a pull list. My brother and I would go in and just buy whatever we could with our $5 or whatever. Times have definitely changed since those days heh.

Oh yeah I loved I Kill Giants. That book really hit close to home for me. Definitely one of my favorite stories I've read in any medium in a very long time.