Comic Books

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
kinda wish i still had my infinity gauntlet. after reading it a bunch i traded it back in the early 90s when i was a kid.

haven't kept up w/ comics for many years, but i grew up on that shit. dc/marvel/dark horse/image

Touraxus_sl

shitlord
This is my 3rd time posting this (FoH, MN, now here) lol. But seriously, The Stuff of Legend is the best graphic novel I have read in, well, my entire life. It's the story of toys who have to enter the "Dark" to save the boy who owns them from the boogeyman. I bought the first 2 collected novels, couldn't put it down and went on a day trip just to locate the third. The characters all feel very real, considering they're toys, and the jester is just a badass. Disney is in works to make a movie of it once the series has run it's course. As far as I understood it, it plans to finish by book 4/5.

ZTFrN.jpg

dzg5d.jpg

pOx3c.jpg
Just wanted to second this. My store finally got the collection of this in after i ordered it two months ago.
Just read through it all. One of the best written stories i have read in a while.

businesscats_sl

shitlord
Apparently Apple 'banned' this week's issue of Saga - #12 - from being sold via any iOS apps because of two stamp sized images of dude on dude oral sex.
Edit: Turns out it was Comixology that decided not to sell it, not Apple.Source.

rrr_img_20308.jpg
rrr_img_20309.jpg

Caliane

Saga #12 had a bit of a shitstorm around in the last day.
Yesterday, BKV let it be known that Comixology would not be selling SAGA #12 due to Apple not wanting a scene depicting a guy giving another guy a blowjob. (the character in question, emotes images on a TV screen while talking. I believe the image was, "go suck a cock")
This getting around pissed of a great deal number of people and creators as you might image.
Distributors censoring content is pretty ridiculous, and has always failed horribly.

Today, Comixology rescinded the ban. And offered an apology, as well as took the blame. They made the choice, Apple contacted them, and said, nah we cool with it.

Regardless, its bringing up some of "comixology fucking sucks" calls again too.

Nathan Fairbairn So, to sum up, Comixology offers rickety servers that can't handle volume, random censorship, and no transferrable or downloadable copies of the digital comics you pay FULL COVER PRICE for, and all they ask in return is 50% of net. What a fucking deal.
In that vein, check this out. Comic bought direct. Brian K. Vaughan. Digital, no drm. Skip all the middleman.

Welcome to Panel Syndicate, where artist Marcos Martin and writer Brian K. Vaughan deliver original comics directly to readers around the world, who pay whatever the hell they want for each DRM-free issue. Our first new storyline is THE PRIVATE EYE, a forward-looking mystery we created with colorist Muntsa Vicente. Set in a future where privacy is considered a sacred right and everyone has a secret identity, The Private Eye is a serialized sci-fi detective story for mature readers. You can download our 32-page first issue right now, for any price you think is fair. 100% of your payments go directly into our greedy mitts and will help fund the rest of a story that we're both very proud of (we hope there will be around 10 issues total; an old-school "maxiseries!"), so thanks for reading...

http://panelsyndicate.com/

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
its natural as you grow older. Mainstream comics are not for mature readers really.
That is the point of the constant reboots of the big stuff. Keep a status quo, so when a new comic reader comes in looking for what to read, they have something familiar to start with.
You are so correct on this. As an on again off again comic book collector since 1977, I can definitely say I am off again and have been off for quite some time now. I tried picking some books up but they really are just terminally boring and are almost all just picture books now. Also, why is it every freakin story feels like it's being made for a trade paperback.

A good example, around the early 80's, the two biggest comics were Uncanny X-Men from Marvel and Teen Titans from DC. If you can read any of those books back then do so. The Dark Pheonix saga for the X-Men and the Judas Contract for Teen Titans are some of the best stories even today. Those books actually took a long time to read, because there was huge amounts of dialogue. Compare that to now, when I can almost read an entire comic book in like 5-10 minutes.

Comic books, like every other entertainment medium has devolved into an eerie Michael Bayish world, where everything is like an explosion, hitting you fast and hard but with no substance behind it.

Hamscratch_sl

shitlord
Just a quick question for all you comic readers. I picked up issues #1 and #2 of the new run of Batman. I didn't get any of the other ones out of laziness. Now I really want to continue the story but it seems the only way to do so is with the trade paperback (or whatever you call it when they put all the issues into one book). I'd really like to get the individual issues. I've been trying to understand backordering, but theres not much info for it. I would really appreciate any sort of info from some of you veterans out there.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Just a quick question for all you comic readers. I picked up issues #1 and #2 of the new run of Batman. I didn't get any of the other ones out of laziness. Now I really want to continue the story but it seems the only way to do so is with the trade paperback (or whatever you call it when they put all the issues into one book). I'd really like to get the individual issues. I've been trying to understand backordering, but theres not much info for it. I would really appreciate any sort of info from some of you veterans out there.
There's no such thing as individual back ordering from the publisher given the way comics are distributed. Search for many of the places that sell back issues of many comics. The Batman ones from the new run should be dead easy to find.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I love how once again, when someone wants to defeat the JLA, they break into the Batcave and steal Batman's stuff. If Batman is so smart, why do his security and firewalls suck so bad?

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Because his always plan ahead strategy accounts for slumping JLA sales, so he intentionally leaves it just vulnerable enough for a real threat to find and exploit it. Duh!

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Because his always plan ahead strategy accounts for slumping JLA sales, so he intentionally leaves it just vulnerable enough for a real threat to find and exploit it. Duh!
I can't believe they are recycling the "Tower of Babel" storyline. But that was in 2000, I bet they think no one remembers. Replace Ras Al Ghul with a nameless ninja, and it's the same so far.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I definitely found Wolverine going back in time and eviscerating Hank Pym before he can create Ultron as memorable.

rrr_img_21976.jpg

rrr_img_21977.jpg

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fuck.....I haven't read any major Marvel storyline since Civil War but that has me interested.

Wolverine is such a badass character when he's used right, and sparingly.

Old Man Logan doesn't count, it was a self contained thing.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
that wolverine scene was from the age of ultron, since that's the biggest spoiler...ultron tries to take over the world, succeeds, most every superhero is dead, the a-team goes in the future to stop ultron in the present, wolverine stays behind and says, something like take care of the ultron problem from the very beginning, the past.

age of ultron i think was supposed to be released 2 years ago, when nova was still alive. (not this new shitty nova)

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
It's really only picked up in the last issue or two, really have hated it prior. These 'how will this all be undone?' type stories annoy me now after being so disappointed with Age of X.