Comic Books

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
My 1981 price guide and the Spiderman prices from that year.
20220616_123109_resized.jpg

20220616_123338_resized.jpg

Goatface

youtuber eric july (youngrippa) launched the 1st issue of the rippaverse today, about 10 hours in and sold almost 14k copies to 7.5k people. while don't think the book is for me, really impressed with his drive. said he spent 2 years and near $200k out of pocket. currently at $700k+ and said still not in profit as going to invest a lot back into it.

Caliane

whelp. DC is officially retconning Tim and Conner. No longer just friends. Tim was gay for Conner.

• 2Barf
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 2 users

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
The state of comic books is just depressing. Oh how I would love to read them again but why even bother?

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

as far as i can see, still no release dates for Jupiter's Legacy: Requiem 7+, going on 10 months now.
1662421735668.png

hmmm

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
I've decided to sell all my old books so I'm getting some of them slabbed. First set of books back from CGC:

20220914_121825.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
I bought this book just for reading way before better condition copies became very valuable - probably paid a quarter for it. In addition to the scratches on the cover, that is a severe miswrap, not a spine roll, and the top staple is completely detached from the inner pages. If only I had been a bit more discerning.

20220920_102451a.jpg

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I've decided to sell all my old books so I'm getting some of them slabbed. First set of books back from CGC:

View attachment 434649
Very nice!

How long did those take to get back? I need to send some in, but I want to do the pressing as well, and it was something like a year and a half for both pressing and grading last time I checked. I could be dead by then!

• 1Like

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
They are expensive books (more than $400 each), so I had to pay $80 each to get them graded, which sort of fast tracks them. They advertised 5 weeks and It took 3. I sent in some lower value Silver Age books (under $400) 2 months earlier and still haven't got those back. The turnaround for those is advertised as 8 months (I'm guessing this is the hugest demand). This is all without pressing. If your books are 1975 or later and less than $400, the turnaround time, without pressing, is 20 days.

As I posted here previously, I have a lot of valuable books with long box storage issues - warping, dents, gouges etc. due to packing them tightly for 35 years without backing boards. So I bought my own heat press for about $200 and it has been a godsend. It basically eliminates almost all of my storage sins. Wolverine #1 currently under the press - crossing fingers!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
They are expensive books (more than $400 each), so I had to pay $80 each to get them graded, which sort of fast tracks them. They advertised 5 weeks and It took 3. I sent in some lower value Silver Age books (under $400) 2 months earlier and still haven't got those back. The turnaround for those is advertised as 8 months (I'm guessing this is the hugest demand). This is all without pressing. If your books are 1975 or later and less than $400, the turnaround time, without pressing, is 20 days.

As I posted here previously, I have a lot of valuable books with long box storage issues - warping, dents, gouges etc. due to packing them tightly for 35 years without backing boards. So I bought my own heat press for about $200 and it has been a godsend. It basically eliminates almost all of my storage sins. Wolverine #1 currently under the press - crossing fingers!
How hard is the pressing to do? How long does it take, how easy is it to fuck up, etc? I considered that based on cost of paying for pressing vs. buying one myself, with the overwhelming cost saving pointing to buying one myself, but it seemed like something I wouldn't want to fuck up. And which one did you buy, if you don't mind sharing?

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
How hard is the pressing to do? How long does it take, how easy is it to fuck up, etc? I considered that based on cost of paying for pressing vs. buying one myself, with the overwhelming cost saving pointing to buying one myself, but it seemed like something I wouldn't want to fuck up. And which one did you buy, if you don't mind sharing?
Here's what I bought: 15"x15" 5 in 1 T-Shirt Heat Press Machine Transfer Sublimation Mug Hat Plate 832419275379 | eBay

I'm among the most mechanically inept persons you will find, but it is actually easy. I've only screwed up one book out of hundreds so far - it was a square-bound King Conan #1. You have to press those kinds of books a certain way - I didn't and basically crushed the spine. I also started increasing the heat time at first and ended up with some slightly wavy books, so I dialed that back. There is definitely a learning curve, so practice on cheap books at first. I also clean dirt soiling/color rub on the white parts with an eraser. That can leave waviness, so do that before pressing.

I bought a tacking iron for some of the tougher surface creases and non-color breaking spine ticks. This also creates waviness, so use before the heat press. I bought the Clover Mini Iron II w/adapter set on Amazon.

And, you need to humidify your book before the press, so I bought a garment steamer. Professional pressers use custom-built humidity chambers, which don't look hard to build.

Supplies: magazine-size backing boards, distilled water for the steamer (ONLY distilled), parchment paper such as SILICONE PARCHMENT PAPER FOR HEAT TRANSFER APPLICATIONS (8.5"x11") 250 SHEETS | eBay, inkjet printer paper

If you actually do this, I'll post some detailed steps and lessons learned.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Here's what I bought: 15"x15" 5 in 1 T-Shirt Heat Press Machine Transfer Sublimation Mug Hat Plate 832419275379 | eBay

I'm among the most mechanically inept persons you will find, but it is actually easy. I've only screwed up one book out of hundreds so far - it was a square-bound King Conan #1. You have to press those kinds of books a certain way - I didn't and basically crushed the spine. I also started increasing the heat time at first and ended up with some slightly wavy books, so I dialed that back. There is definitely a learning curve, so practice on cheap books at first. I also clean dirt soiling/color rub on the white parts with an eraser. That can leave waviness, so do that before pressing.

I bought a tacking iron for some of the tougher surface creases and non-color breaking spine ticks. This also creates waviness, so use before the heat press. I bought the Clover Mini Iron II w/adapter set on Amazon.

And, you need to humidify your book before the press, so I bought a garment steamer. Professional pressers use custom-built humidity chambers, which don't look hard to build.

Supplies: magazine-size backing boards, distilled water for the steamer (ONLY distilled), parchment paper such as SILICONE PARCHMENT PAPER FOR HEAT TRANSFER APPLICATIONS (8.5"x11") 250 SHEETS | eBay, inkjet printer paper

If you actually do this, I'll post some detailed steps and lessons learned.
Damn, that's quite the contraption. I have no fucking clue where I'd even set that up to use! (I live in an apartment.)

Thanks for the info. To be honest, I'm still considering it, as the membership to CGC where you get credit towards grading can't be applied to pressing, so all pressing is automatically an extra cost, and the time for pressing is fucking absurd.

I will let you know if I go ahead and get one. Seems like a definite commitment and not just something to fuck around with and then lose interest in. Thanks again for the detailed info. I am definitely going to think about it.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream

Todd McFarlane was in studio with Jim & Sam a few months ago with the primary purpose of promoting Batman / Spawn. Well, that book came out today. It's expected to be the largest book sale in decades, so it probably won't be worth anything. But if you like either character, give it a shot.

The video has nothing at all to do with the book though. The guys asked him about Aaron Judge's 62nd homerun ball, which ultimately changed the direction of the conversation for a while. But it started off as well as ended by talking about the new Batman / Spawn book, which came out today.

...and if you don't mind pirating, you can download it here to look at the pretty pictures.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users