Comic Books

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
lol, you do the color right?

might as well go all in and make them minority’s
you say that, as if its not already literally a mandate. I get yelled at, if there are more then 2 white people on a page. regardless of location. Hispanics? look too white, better make them browner. Asians, same thing. Middle east? same as well. Anyone that has a skin tone that might be confused with being white, regardless of lighting, must have a skin tone thats clearly not. Its so hilariously racist.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nester

Vyemm Raider
you say that, as if its not already literally a mandate. I get yelled at, if there are more then 2 white people on a page. regardless of location. Hispanics? look too white, better make them browner. Asians, same thing. Middle east? same as well. Anyone that has a skin tone that might be confused with being white, regardless of lighting, must have a skin tone thats clearly not. Its so hilariously racist.

Fascinating.

How much artistic license do you get? Can you make all the soda cans Blue for Pepsi rather than red for coke or is all that stuff mandated.
Do you get to decided if Lois Lane's Jacket is Yellow or Orange or do they lay that out for you ?
How bad would be if you made batman's suit old school blue again vs black from the most recent issue?

• 1Barf

Caliane

Depends.

for brands, its been pretty rare to have any complaints. its probably happened. DC comics also has a number of fake brands. like Soder cola. We established that as having orange and yellow cans/marketing, back in Booster gold. Typically, I'll use those fake brands first, if I can.

for someone like Lois, or any one in street cloths. free reign. Sometimes, we may have to match previous issues for continuity.

For Batman's suit. usually its editorial mandated. and will even often bitch about colors being "off" from environmental lighting. Some colorists seem to get more leeway with this. Also, varies greatly with each editor.
we'll often get turnarounds to match, when a suit is changed. Its usually pretty unified.

Editorial has fallen apart in the last 5 years or so. used to be, if a costume was wrong, we'd get patch art. they'd be right on top of that shit. lately... not so much. Costumes not matching, or being off model is pretty common these days. artist to artist... within the same issue even.

Goatface

The company released a new mission statement for the 83-year-old icon who famously fought for “Truth, Justice and the American Way.”

Now Clark Kent’s Man of Steel is about “Truth, Justice and a Better Tomorrow.”

as always evs is long winded, but does explain some stuff
tldr
1634476650480.png

• 1Like
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
meanwhile, every minority woman since birth has been told by their own mother and aunts and grandmas, the lighter the better
s-l640.jpg

Caliane

At first, I thought we got the work because DC was being a souless corp, and pandering. I thought they had page 20 of Superman done, and shopped it around for promotional purposes by one art team. then, sent the rest of the book off, to others to have it done normally.
I learned later, when I also got page 20 to color, that was not the case. The previous colorist of the series quit, and demanded none of their work be used for the issue. It was sent to us then to be redone. I knew this a few days ago, considered sharing... but, decided not a great idea to share such inside baseball publicly.

anyway, story broke. so there.
[edit] swapped to a link thats not that gaslighting sack of crap.

Personally, if DC wants to pay me to shoot themselves in the dick. whatever. I haven't found my limit yet. The WW thing we are doing is very frustrating too.. we did an insane feminist thing a couple years back. had some fluff pieces on Hilary, and some absurd youtube personalities...

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

was trying to come up with the last comic book I worked on, I actually enjoyed/recommended.. Much of the DC stuff has good art here and there. I love working with Sam Basri these days. Howard Porter usually great. But most of the stories/writing.. ooph.

Anyway, I noticed this indie book we worked on, is out.

the UI looks a bit rough. Issue #9, and Issue #8 we both worked on. A and B denote alt covers.
light hearted horror anthologies. 2 stories in each.

We didnt work on the prior issues. but, I would think they are fun too.

So far the black list has not hit us... not sure what the studio head has said. or, what the future plans are at the moment.
We've done a ton of work with Aaron Lopresti over the years.
We did the Shi reboot for Billy Tucci.
We also did the Wrath of God promo for Aarons crowdfund.

Caliane

Nice, I actually have that one!
thanks for the support!

that was a decent job. I thought there were a few things that should have gone a bit different. Shi was a 90's title. I thought it should have been inked.

billy is also one of those guys that, gives no notes. then when sees the product, says, heres some notes. I imagined something completely different, didnt tell you, and want you to follow my art direction. This isn't meant as a slight. Just saying theres some places I would have gone differently with creative control.

I suppose it would be poetically funny if Gabe took over on Lopresti, Shi, etc.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
thanks for the support!

that was a decent job. I thought there were a few things that should have gone a bit different. Shi was a 90's title. I thought it should have been inked.

billy is also one of those guys that, gives no notes. then when sees the product, says, heres some notes. I imagined something completely different, didnt tell you, and want you to follow my art direction. This isn't meant as a slight. Just saying theres some places I would have gone differently with creative control.

I suppose it would be poetically funny if Gabe took over on Lopresti, Shi, etc.
I don't know shit about whether something is inked or whatever, but it would be sweet if you guys could get in on Brian Pulido's Lady Death Coffinverse. I'm sure he's got most of his team dialed in already, but that motherfucker makes bank on Kickstarter (partially thanks to me, I buy them all). I love most of the art in the books too, which is one of the biggest things that sways me to buy.

Caliane

I don't know shit about whether something is inked or whatever, but it would be sweet if you guys could get in on Brian Pulido's Lady Death Coffinverse. I'm sure he's got most of his team dialed in already, but that motherfucker makes bank on Kickstarter (partially thanks to me, I buy them all). I love most of the art in the books too, which is one of the biggest things that sways me to buy.
We actually did Lady Death 14 (Annihilation) as well.

That was actually rough sadly. Almost made me quit. I don't know how much they paid colorists in the past. or, how much our studio head asked for. did he undercut them badly? But, we were getting the same page rates, as for other work, DC, etc.. while, Lady death is heavily painted over work. Easily 4 times as much work. I normally do 2 pages a day, for standard work. Lady death pages were 1 a day, best case. 2-4 days for a single page on others.. with extended 12-16hour days too.. I was making like $2/hour. was 100% this can not stand.
It was like 60 pages too iirc. so they locked us into this insanely time consuming book, for super low pay. it killed my finances this spring, AND chained me to the desk, so I could not go out and do anything else. I dont blame Pulido for this. I think our studio head massively underestimated how much work it was going to be.

other indies this year.
Usagi Yojimbo, Sons of Ashgard
and just started doing some Interpop Comics stuff.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
We actually did Lady Death 14 (Annihilation) as well.

That was actually rough sadly. Almost made me quit. I don't know how much they paid colorists in the past. or, how much our studio head asked for. did he undercut them badly? But, we were getting the same page rates, as for other work, DC, etc.. while, Lady death is heavily painted over work. Easily 4 times as much work. I normally do 2 pages a day, for standard work. Lady death pages were 1 a day, best case. 2-4 days for a single page on others.. with extended 12-16hour days too.. I was making like $2/hour. was 100% this can not stand.
It was like 60 pages too iirc. so they locked us into this insanely time consuming book, for super low pay. it killed my finances this spring, AND chained me to the desk, so I could not go out and do anything else. I dont blame Pulido for this. I think our studio head massively underestimated how much work it was going to be.

other indies this year.
Usagi Yojimbo, Sons of Ashgard
and just started doing some Interpop Comics stuff.
Oh shit, that's the one that just finished. I see HiDef on there now that I look for it. I assume that dude shown (Brian Miller) is your studio head that fucked up and underbid.

That sucks, I'm sorry you got screwed like that. It is a shame too, because Pulido seems like a pretty cool dude, and he clearly makes a fuckton off of those. That one just barely missed half a million in pledges, and the current one (Hellwitch vs. Lady Death, which I'm actually pretty excited for) has only been up 8 days and is at almost $340k already. And they are great books. Can't wait to see what that one looks like with your coloring.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
George Perez has stage 3 pancreatic cancer. He's forgoing treatment, planning one last hurrah with fans.

Just like my dad, chemo almost killed him so he stopped, just wanted more time with grandkids. We got another year with him.

George has been given 6-12 months.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
George Perez has stage 3 pancreatic cancer. He's forgoing treatment, planning one last hurrah with fans.

Just like my dad, chemo almost killed him so he stopped, just wanted more time with grandkids. We got another year with him.

George gas been given 6-12 months.

the artwork our generation grew up with
148102_ce7b7b752698d6a065aa5ee9e6128c96c3f033d8.jpg

his book was reguarly going for 74 used now it jumps to 194
13eba0d7ab294a0a363611e414e4b241.png

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Caliane

yeah. It can't be overstated the legend. at least once of month I see, "after Perez" or, other direct homage, or calls to use his work for reference.

• 1Like