Comic Books

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
For real. Soulfire had amazing art before it became some TV show with a thrown in artist of the week.

Look at that artwork? Turner was the best.

This image alone has stuck with me since I saw it in the book 20+ years ago.
Beautiful.
3006080-witchblade_2_p13-p14.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

yeah. Perez was a king. the almost perfect comic book art. Clear, readable, etc. its frustratingly sad there aren't really any people that based their work off his.

• 2Solidarity

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
Is it OK to show off books from your collection here? If no one minds, I'd like to post a few pictures from my collection over the next few days/weeks.

Avengers #4. I bought this in/around 1980 for $3. It's in pretty bad shape with severe spine roll and is considerably more yellow than the photo shows. I was thinking of paying for a restoration but haven't taken the plunge. It's a great piece of Americana.

20220607_113132_resized.jpg

• 7Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 7 users

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
Detective Comics #362. Nothing notable about this one, except to me. It was one of the first comics I remember owning as a kid. My mom was dragging me around to a bunch of garage sales and I was bored stiff until I saw a pile of old comic books at one home. My mom let me choose one and bought this for me. I think I liked the idea of a bad, giant Batman wreaking havoc on Gotham City. This isn't the copy I had as a kid, but a nostalgia purchase.

20211114_104857_resized_1.jpg

• 2Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Most of my comics are nostalgia. Just a dozen long boxes of 90s books, and a few dozen books signed from cons and events we had at the comic shop I worked at for a few years as my first job. Proud of this one though. Not slabbed, just in a frame that was on the wall, was fun attending as a fan and not obsessed w/ quality, etc. Stan Lee mentioned all sorts of stuff years before it happened in the MCU, was much neater in hindsight. The whole setup of him signing and taking photos was so sad though, he was a cog in a machine. He really lit up in the sessions later in the day when he got to talk about comics and movies.

1654709228486.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Speaking of old comics, I've long had a project on the backburner of re-boxing my large collection from their 30 yo boxes as I hand them off to my son soon. I've been looking at everything from the cardboard comic boxes to the plastic $45 boxes (which don't appear all that sturdy anyway). I would guess I have about 2000-2500 comics, and ideally I'd like extremely sturdy boxes I can stack 2, even 3 high.

I was wondering if anyone had something they use that they absolutely love and would rec.

Goatface

I was wondering if anyone had something they use that they absolutely love and would rec.
one of my friends has 48+ of these, not sure if anyone else makes box "houses"
he has stacks of 3, some 2x4s, then more stacks of 3.
iirc they offer discounts if you buy 10

he really likes them as can easily pull or add books without having to unstack/stack

the plastic bins are nice, but don't know anyone that using them for whole collections. most people i know just use them to hold books they are reading or waiting to store.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I was looking at those. Didnt realize they were a little reinforced. I have a few of their card motels and they are legit.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I recently bought a ton of the standard design "short" boxes from BCW to replace all my aging long boxes. They are decent, nothing special. Some of them could fit together a little more snugly or with smaller gaps, but since you're storing bagged and boarded comics in them it really isn't a big deal unless you have some external issues like water, bugs, rodents, etc. Which that box won't stop anyway.

I did buy a couple of the plastic ones, one for graded comics and two for top-loaders because they won't fit in a normal sized box. The top-loaders I actually bought the plastic magazine box, as there isn't really a dedicated size for them. The plastic ones are really nice (although a huge pain to put together) but the price is really rough if you want a lot of them.

• 1Like

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
I lost interest in comic books around 1985 and put all my books into long boxes in a closet and didn't look at them for 35 years. I made some storage mistakes and here are some examples - don't do what I did! I stored them in poly bags without backing boards and packed them tightly into the long boxes. You can guess where this is going. Here's one thing that happened - this was pretty rare fortunately, but it happened to a valuable book. It slid under an adjacent book.

Avengers #58.
20220609_092453_resized1.jpg

In this next example, our resident genius managed to produce this result for 100s of his books - what looks like a spine roll running up and down the length of the book. Some of the right edges were also warped in a similar manner. I'm going through my inventory right now and trying to correct these defects with humidification of the covers and cold presses. It works pretty well for some of the milder examples. This is one of the worst.
20220609_094324_resized.jpg

The last thing you should take care not to do is let your poly bag flaps touch another comic's cover. I have many comics with subtle indentations from the adjacent comics' poly bag flaps. These have been very tough/impossible to remove with my pressing technique, which is very low tech compared to the hot press techniques I've seen on YouTube.

• 1Rustled

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I lost interest in comic books around 1985 and put all my books into long boxes in a closet and didn't look at them for 35 years. I made some storage mistakes and here are some examples - don't do what I did! I stored them in poly bags without backing boards and packed them tightly into the long boxes. You can guess where this is going. Here's one thing that happened - this was pretty rare fortunately, but it happened to a valuable book. It slid under an adjacent book.

Avengers #58.
View attachment 416233

In this next example, our resident genius managed to produce this result for 100s of his books - what looks like a spine roll running up and down the length of the book. Some of the right edges were also warped in a similar manner. I'm going through my inventory right now and trying to correct these defects with humidification of the covers and cold presses. It works pretty well for some of the milder examples. This is one of the worst.
View attachment 416234

The last thing you should take care not to do is let your poly bag flaps touch another comic's cover. I have many comics with subtle indentations from the adjacent comics' poly bag flaps. These have been very tough/impossible to remove with my pressing technique, which is very low tech compared to the hot press techniques I've seen on YouTube.
That sucks.

Speaking of the flaps...I think I fucked up with my recent bag purchases. I got the ones that have a seal already on them, because I remembered taping hundreds of flaps down decades ago and hating it. Furthermore, when you take the comic out (which I never do, let's be honest) there is the chance of snagging the comic with that tape on the flap. I thought, it would be so much easier to just pull a strip off and have it seal like that. Easy peasy, and it will never snag on the book because it is on the back of the bag itself, not the flap.

Well, since that seal is across the entire bag, it never seals perfectly flat, so you get some ridges, bubbles, whatever, so if the cover of another book is behind it you're going to get something a thousand times worse than the tiny indentation you are talking about from the tape, if I were to store them away for many more decades. Not that I'll likely even live that long, but still. Of course I bought 500 of the fucking things too. So now I'm gonna have to front-to-front them all, which is how you are supposed to do it, but is still annoying and I've never actually done that before.

I wish I had something old to show, but my oldest comic is X-Men #121, which isn't really all that amazing. All my shit is 80s-90s and 2000s+ Lady Death stuff.

• 1Like

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
That sucks.

Speaking of the flaps...I think I fucked up with my recent bag purchases. I got the ones that have a seal already on them, because I remembered taping hundreds of flaps down decades ago and hating it. Furthermore, when you take the comic out (which I never do, let's be honest) there is the chance of snagging the comic with that tape on the flap. I thought, it would be so much easier to just pull a strip off and have it seal like that. Easy peasy, and it will never snag on the book because it is on the back of the bag itself, not the flap.

Well, since that seal is across the entire bag, it never seals perfectly flat, so you get some ridges, bubbles, whatever, so if the cover of another book is behind it you're going to get something a thousand times worse than the tiny indentation you are talking about from the tape, if I were to store them away for many more decades. Not that I'll likely even live that long, but still. Of course I bought 500 of the fucking things too. So now I'm gonna have to front-to-front them all, which is how you are supposed to do it, but is still annoying and I've never actually done that before.

I wish I had something old to show, but my oldest comic is X-Men #121, which isn't really all that amazing. All my shit is 80s-90s and 2000s+ Lady Death stuff.
As long as you pack them loosely, I think you'll be all right. You should be able to easily thumb through them and pick one up and insert it back down with little effort. I also put a comic-size cardboard piece at the front and end of each long box, as those areas were subject to the most damage.

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
I read a lot of Robert E. Howard Conan paperbacks so of course I had to pick up some of the comic books. The paperbacks are long gone and I'd like to read them again, so can anybody here recommend a Conan anthology/collection?

Conan the Barbarian #4
20220610_094720_resized.jpg

• 1Like