Comic Books

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wondering if Original Sin is going to stop all this incursion stuff and break up the Illumaniti, because I can only buy so many more issues that seem to just be them debating some moral dilemma and then blowing up a parallel universe's Earth.
Hopefully it does. I really liked the New Avengers series where it showed the Illuminati doing behind the scenes stuff in other Marvel events, but this incursion shit is really bad. I don't know how you make a comic series that has the likes of Dr. Strange, Namor, Iron Man, Black Bolt, and Mr Fantastic bad, but they did. The only good part was Namor and Black Panther dealing with the fallout from AvX.

On a different note, Superior Spider-Man is done and Peter Parker is back. I highly recommend everyone reading the entire Superior run. The ending was a little rushed, but leaves a lot of room for good spidey stories going forward.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
On a different note, Superior Spider-Man is done and Peter Parker is back. I highly recommend everyone reading the entire Superior run. The ending was a little rushed, but leaves a lot of room for good spidey stories going forward.
Ending was definitely too abrupt I thought. The tiny-woman is adorable though, I really enjoy her, which means she'll probably be dead/gone soon.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, high hopes they somehow bring Superior back in some form. I guess at some point during the Superior run he disappears and then reappears a panel later all beat to shit... Superior resumes for a couple issues next month to show that he was zapped into the future or something and fill in the blanks. Surely that will be the opening to bring Doc Ock back in some form. I really liked the idea of Superior Spider-Man though, the first dozen issues were some of the best Spidey I've read in a long time.

Enjoyed the Thanos Annual, fills in some blanks, ties to Infinity Gauntlet, and leads into a graphic novel coming out in a bit.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Superior spidey was the best spidey. if only parker stayed dead, we could have finally had the spidey we deserve, instead of this lameass.

who gives up their future life and kids and wife for their aunt anyway?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'm still working my way through the New52 Green Arrow volumes and I'm thoroughly enjoying them. I guess having nothing to compare them to helps.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I just read Infinity over the last couple days. What a shitty "event" this was. I feel like I wasted bandwidth downloading it.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Probably the last marvel event. I love Marvel but infinity was so bleh. The only time I enjoyed reading it was when I got behind and read like 5 issue back to back.

It's a large complicated mess for the most part though. Then they went and used shitty paper in the hardcover collected edition, so lame.

Finally got the No More Humans graphic novel, was pretty good. Picked up a hardcover of Age of X too, a surprisingly good story that I wish was revisited somehow. The newer Days of Future Past is in the mail and I'm going to pick up X-cutioner's Song and X-tinction Agenda next.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Yeah I was referring to the latest Infinity event not any of the classic ones.

Also went back and started re-reading the older X-book crossovers starting with X-tinction Agenda. I forgot how much the writing style of comics has changed over the years. I kind of miss thought bubbles. heh

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I was referring to the latest Infinity event not any of the classic ones.

Also went back and started re-reading the older X-book crossovers starting with X-tinction Agenda. I forgot how much the writing style of comics has changed over the years. I kind of miss thought bubbles. heh
Huh? There aren't any thought bubbles anymore? I have only read a couple of comics since the late 80s, and didn't realize this. What do they do now, just the square box in the corner?

Caliane

you have to understand. 90% of comics these days are just movie scripts/pitches/storyboards in disguise. Getting someone to look at your script to produce? nearly impossible. Producers are children. They can't read.
Have it in comic format? you have illustrated pictures to SHOW them! Like a 3 year old.

Plus you have the added bonus of possibly being a proven IP if the comic sold.

So yeah, thought bubbles do not work in film/tv. Narration does however. or on screen text.
PS. this isn't even a joke.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Frank Cho used thought bubbles when he was doing Mighty Avengers. It was fucking terrible and distracting, but that's probably more down to his writing than the actual format.

Seriously though, it was like a 13 year old.

ma31xn2.jpg

Wish there was a better quality version of that page, because it's a great example.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, that's just an example of horrible writing. More like he's trying to justify his paycheck rather than actually tell a coherent and uncluttered story.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, it was just so bad that any mention of thought bubbles brings it immediately to mind. I'm no comic book savant or anything so there's not much for me to draw from on the subject. But man does that stick out, maybe because I was really excited about the idea of the team when the line up came out. Then the actual comics were such a huge disappointment, I think I read 2-3 before giving up entirely.

Looking on Wiki now, those were actually written by Bendis. Which is shocking to me. He was one of my favorite writers a few years ago based mostly onPowersandAlias, another reason I was excited for it I guess. I just assumed Cho wrote it because they were so bad.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Funny, I just reread Who Killed Retrogirl the other day, and I don't believe there is a single thought bubble in the entire TPB. (which is fine because of how it's written) But it makes me think he doesn't understand how to write in that voice/perspective.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
you have to understand. 90% of comics these days are just movie scripts/pitches/storyboards in disguise. Getting someone to look at your script to produce? nearly impossible. Producers are children. They can't read.
Have it in comic format? you have illustrated pictures to SHOW them! Like a 3 year old.

Plus you have the added bonus of possibly being a proven IP if the comic sold.
yup, read every six part series M.Millar has released, just a movie script.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And you've got guys like Straczynski who write movies/TV shows in addition to comics, which pushed it even further that way.

Column_sl

shitlord
In retrospect tho, the writing is still better compared to allot of stuff in the 80's 90's.

It's just some boring ass shit.