Computer Issues

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Have you tried trying to power this thing on without the ram?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
For reference this is what I'm looking at. Sorry for the bad picture

IMG_20181006_012503703.jpg

Lurkingmoar

Molten Core Raider
Here is a shot in the dark, have you tried using a different ram kit? The one you listed isn't one on the QVL list.

Asrock and MSI havent done me wrong yet. From experience MSI Tomahawk(using a 1600X) or a Gaming Carbon pro(Using 1800X) have been solid, and mini itx boards from Asrock have been decent. Although Asrock's bios is hot garbage imo.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Here is a shot in the dark, have you tried using a different ram kit? The one you listed isn't one on the QVL list.

Asrock and MSI havent done me wrong yet. From experience MSI Tomahawk(using a 1600X) or a Gaming Carbon pro(Using 1800X) have been solid, and mini itx boards from Asrock have been decent. Although Asrock's bios is hot garbage imo.
I haven't, I don't think i have anything compatable. Though the fact that it's the same status without any ram and the ram in different slots makes me feel like that's not it

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Speaker came in today. I'll throw it in there tonight and see if anything comes out. Part of me is expecting nothing

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Okay so I got a gigabyte ab-350 gaming 3 and swapped it out. Everything turns on correctly, lights up keyboard, but I'm getting no video from either onboard video or the video card. What simple thing am I missing

Edit: CPU QLED light on, why am I not surprised

Last edited:

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Anyone ever do a dual boot with windows 7 and windows 10? Did it work or total pain in the ass? I installed 10 a few months ago and everything is going OK except when I take my computer to work on a homeade machine at a company. I have a driver in 7 but not 10 and I've not been able to get it work. No idea where I would look. It's homemade CNC machine that submerge arc welds (4) 10' or (5) 8' at a time to make a 40' wide plate in any length. Apparently I have the only backkup of the software used to run it. I "think" it was programmed by an intern engineering student at the time and I have no way of tracking him down or even knowing who it actually was. Not my company.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Dual booting 7 & 10 now. There are some possible complications when it comes to installing 7 on the right partition type if you're using a loader to bypass activation, and some possible EFI issues, but it's certainly doable. You'll need to add some appropriate USB drivers to the installation files if you're doing it via USB. Just google for dual-boot windows 7 & 10 and you should find a bunch of guides. Mydigitallife forums will have info on the activation stuff if you don't have a key

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Maybe running 7 in a VM would work? We have to do this at work, because the last version of the software for some of the hardware we have only works in XP.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Thanks I'll look into the dual boot. Right now I might can avoid it, so might as well push it down the road for now and hopefully it blows over.

Any ideas on this one. Error every time I try to install. I've installed it and uninstalled it before with no issues. Just started today, last time I put it on was windows 7 however and now on 10. When I search for error 1622 I get a ton of stuff, most of it out of date.

All I could get out of the 2016 error was to turn off antivirus which I did to no effect. Also several mentioned didn't have rights to write/open a file. Ran as administrator, same error. Went thru the list of stuff to remove autocad (which this also installs) all the stuff in several directories and registery entries. No luck. The files listed in the error log are there if that helps. I don't know how to clear the fileinusetext deal.

DESKTOP-UV88HS9 Installing Autodesk Advance Steel 2016: TRANSFORMS="C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Temp\_AI8471.tmp\x64\AdvanceSteel\AdvanceSteel_en-us-standalone.mst" ADSK_EULA_STATUS=#1 ADSK_SOURCE_ROOT="E:\AcadDesign\" INSTALLDIR="I:\Advance\" FILESINUSETEXT="" REBOOT=ReallySuppress ADSK_SETUP_EXE=1

2018/10/9:08:14:27 Me DESKTOP-UV88HS9 Install Autodesk Advance Steel 2016 Failed Installation aborted, Result=1622

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Okay so I got a gigabyte ab-350 gaming 3 and swapped it out. Everything turns on correctly, lights up keyboard, but I'm getting no video from either onboard video or the video card. What simple thing am I missing

Edit: CPU QLED light on, why am I not surprised
Is there another CPU power header you're not connecting to power? If not, I assume the CPU is fucked up. Bent pins?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Is there another CPU power header you're not connecting to power? If not, I assume the CPU is fucked up. Bent pins?
Both the power things on the motherboard are plugged in, the 8 and 24(?) pin ones. I did look for bent pins and didn't see any

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the cpu is fried. I've gotta imagine that when they had the motherboard screwed to the case they tried tons of times to start it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Both the power things on the motherboard are plugged in, the 8 and 24(?) pin ones. I did look for bent pins and didn't see any

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the cpu is fried. I've gotta imagine that when they had the motherboard screwed to the case they tried tons of times to start it.
but what did the speakers say?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Okay this computer is giving me cancer. I don't know what else to try other than different RAM at this point. New CPU, on boot CPU QLED is still on, nothing from the speaker, no video boot. This is with the Gigabyte AB-350 Gaming 3 motherboard. Fans spin up, including CPU and GFX card. RAM isn't on the supported list, would that really cause the CPU QLED instead of the RAM QLED? Along with just no boot?

RAM is G.SKILL. F4-3000C16S-8GISB, DDR4-3000 CL16-18-18-38 1.35v. Honestly seems like it should work

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Okay this computer is giving me cancer. I don't know what else to try other than different RAM at this point. New CPU, on boot CPU QLED is still on, nothing from the speaker, no video boot. This is with the Gigabyte AB-350 Gaming 3 motherboard. Fans spin up, including CPU and GFX card. RAM isn't on the supported list, would that really cause the CPU QLED instead of the RAM QLED? Along with just no boot?

RAM is G.SKILL. F4-3000C16S-8GISB, DDR4-3000 CL16-18-18-38 1.35v. Honestly seems like it should work

Sounds like good times. Got a spare power supply you can swap in? Never hurts to swap out every possible part that you can.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Just tried a spare power supply, no change. Everything spins up, CPU QLED on, no boot.

Made a post over on hardforums, see if anyone there has any ideas

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just tried a spare power supply, no change. Everything spins up, CPU QLED on, no boot.

Made a post over on hardforums, see if anyone there has any ideas
are you positive you got the fans on straight? try the super barebone min

take out cmos battery

unplug all sata anything

unplug ALL fans (even cpu fan, don't worry it'll survive to boot at least, if you're worry power it separately elsewhere)

only have

1 ram

1 gpu (or onboard, not both)

cpu+heatsink

speaker and power connections

Also try different vga/hdmi/dvi etc cables.