Computer Issues

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If you're hitting that high then thermal paste is most likely the culprit. What was your application method? Did you clean off all previous paste?

Max temp before throttling is 95C. You ideally want to be 70-75. 80 and 85 is still fine honestly but above that is no bueno.

What's the rest of your case fan setup look like? What case?

I doubt you'd be auto-ocing like that, but you could look at what the CPU vcore is set. My msi uefi menu has an over clocking menu.

My guess is paste though. What brand?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Also speccy will tell you temps and clock speeds. You'd be able to easily tell if you were overclocking

Its not the paste, I’ve done those enough to know what I’m doing with that regard.

I have three front fans and the one back exhaust.

Speccy is something I can download that will let me see if that’s the case? Someone in another thread said that the ryzens are set to self autoclock usually.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Backup your bios settings to a profile and then reset everything to default, and make sure there are no sort of auto-OC settings running. See what happens and report back

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Anything that says "boost" "overclock" and things of that sort. There might be a "simple mode" GUI in the OS that might have buttons you can press for it as well (after you set to default mind you)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Its not the paste, I’ve done those enough to know what I’m doing with that regard.

I have three front fans and the one back exhaust.

Speccy is something I can download that will let me see if that’s the case? Someone in another thread said that the ryzens are set to self autoclock usually.
It's just another sensor monitor like hw monitor. Notnsure if hw monitor lists CPU freq

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Thing is, even if it is OC'd or overclocking, there is no legitimate situation outside of stress/torture tests that a CPU should be reaching those temps unless there's a severe issue with cooling, voltage, or just a faulty temp reading.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Argarth

On the verandah
As far as that goes, is there anything special to do for that? It’s not a matter of a simple installer is it?

I imagine it will work the same way as mine.

Download the BIOS file to a USB drive > boot to the BIOS screen > select some sort of "Auto Flash" menu item or hotkey > point to BIOS location > done and re-boot.

You will have to re-enter any changes you may have made, including setting up fan profiles again.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Don't get him worrying about updating his bios as the process is generally completely hassle free these days.

Also Tarrant Tarrant Your cross-posting makes all of this difficult.

Try the default settings before you go updating the bios. One step at a time, my friend.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Argarth

On the verandah
Don't get him worrying about updating his bios as the process is generally completely hassle free these days.

Also Tarrant Tarrant Your cross-posting makes all of this difficult.

Try the default settings before you go updating the bios. One step at a time, my friend.

Assumed he's already tried default settings. Too many cooks spoil the broth, so I'll stay out of it. Carry on! :emoji_grinning:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Look man the only reason I say it is I used to write bios as a profession. One hiccup and you brick your chip. For some mobos, there's a backup bios chip. For others you can just pop the chip out. But for many boards that chip is soldered in. Ive bricked so many bios chips at work doing mundane updates that I do always warn people about it. I usually recommend that unless you have a serious issue, you do not update bios. You may be the 1% that actually does need to update - but I would still rule everything out.

Set defaults first.

Also what's your temp just idle in windows?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Look man the only reason I say it is I used to write bios as a profession. One hiccup and you brick your chip. For some mobos, there's a backup bios chip. For others you can just pop the chip out. But for many boards that chip is soldered in. Ive bricked so many bios chips at work doing mundane updates that I do always warn people about it. I usually recommend that unless you have a serious issue, you do not update bios. You may be the 1% that actually does need to update - but I would still rule everything out.

Set defaults first.

Also what's your temp just idle in windows?

35-40c