Computer Issues

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Change the owner from TrustedInstaller to you, then click apply and close the window. Go back to properties and then add your account has having full control.
Huh, missed that "change" option next to TrustedInstaller. Worked after that, thanks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Have an issue with the wife's computer (windows 7- her keyboard that she loves will not work correctly with windows 8/10)

it is locking up - screen freezes then mouse stops responding only a hard reset to reboot works
reboot comes up and a hardware error for the video card comes up
after checking all connections, i switched video cards to see if that would fix the problem
and it didn't- still locks up after using a while
reinstalled video drivers- clean install- still locks up
thinking it might be the pci slot for the video card- i moved the video card to the other pci slot (mobo is set for sli/whatever amd calls it) and tried running thru that slot, and it works for almost a week and now it is..starting to lock up again and reboot gives the same error "hardware failure" for video card

thinking it is the motherboard and it need to be replaced.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Have an issue with the wife's computer (windows 7- her keyboard that she loves will not work correctly with windows 8/10)

it is locking up - screen freezes then mouse stops responding only a hard reset to reboot works
reboot comes up and a hardware error for the video card comes up
after checking all connections, i switched video cards to see if that would fix the problem
and it didn't- still locks up after using a while
reinstalled video drivers- clean install- still locks up
thinking it might be the pci slot for the video card- i moved the video card to the other pci slot (mobo is set for sli/whatever amd calls it) and tried running thru that slot, and it works for almost a week and now it is..starting to lock up again and reboot gives the same error "hardware failure" for video card

thinking it is the motherboard and it need to be replaced.
i'm interested to know about this keyboard

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
The keyboard is an ideazon merc gaming keyboard. microsoft got rid of being able to assign special keys. (or at least that is what i read on just about every "how to get this to work on windows 8/10" report i found, the keys WORK for their ASSIGNED corresponding keystroke, but these keys are not what my wife has them assigned to.so does not work "right" (i probably could do a work around with wow and their key assignments for controls but that is a pain in the but to make sure it all works the way my wife wants it too)

it is on amazon for 250-500 fucking dollars right now (was like 90 new-we have an extra in its box still for when this one finally wears out)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The keyboard is an ideazon merc gaming keyboard. microsoft got rid of being able to assign special keys. (or at least that is what i read on just about every "how to get this to work on windows 8/10" report i found, the keys WORK for their ASSIGNED corresponding keystroke, but these keys are not what my wife has them assigned to.so does not work "right" (i probably could do a work around with wow and their key assignments for controls but that is a pain in the but to make sure it all works the way my wife wants it too)

it is on amazon for 250-500 fucking dollars right now (was like 90 new-we have an extra in its box still for when this one finally wears out)

did she ever try a separate game pad like the old nostromo52 or
Razer Tartarus V2: 32 Progammable Keys - Detachable Palm Rest - Razer Mecha-Membrane Mid-Height Keys - Gaming Keypad is the updated hotness

Look, i'm not saying she should try new stuff, i'm currently using a 30year old kinesis and on i have on the side a ibm model M
s-l640.jpg

just saying there are options.

heck, you could take a programmable circuit board from a gamepad and rewire the keys

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
WELL DAMN.. google failed me thanks for that, i'll try using the merc on MY computer first and if that works, update windows to 10 for the wife (we have it downloaded) and use that.

i'm using an ~20yr old dell mechanical keyboard@work. thing is just a BEAST.. i am on my 7th computer i have used it on.

now about the freezing issue

motherboard?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
WELL DAMN.. google failed me thanks for that, i'll try using the merc on MY computer first and if that works, update windows to 10 for the wife (we have it downloaded) and use that.

i'm using an ~20yr old dell mechanical keyboard@work. thing is just a BEAST.. i am on my 7th computer i have used it on.

now about the freezing issue

motherboard?
heat/fans first
powersupply second

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Having issues with my new 144hz monitor waking up after going to sleep. Could it be something related to Display Port?

Getting tired of having to turn it off and back on everytime.

Dell S2716DGR

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
what brand video card?

my 200mhz monitor has the same issue with AMD cards.

Nvidia, however, the monitor starts right up

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
your wire could be fucked, my wifes new battlestation had issues too when it went to sleep on one monitor. i had a hunch it was the hdmi to dvi cable. I then tried an old hdmi to dvi connector, same issues, then i just bought a new hdmi to dvi cable, no problems, it also worked on displayport too, so it was a cable issue. (it's a laptop dock, so i only had 1 displayport, 1 dvi port and 1 vga port to work with, no way i was gonna use a 27in on vga)

try a different cable.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
it definately was not the cable (tried different hdmi cables we had on hand, and the issue remained (even tried the other hdmi plugs on the video card-and other video cards)

got a new power supply- it arrived doa...wife pissed since i had to take APART everything to install the power supply,

so i plugged her keyboard into my computer, let her use mine while i stole my son's laptop gaming (which he never uses due to-shrug- college this upcoming fall(Umaine -Civil Eng or land survey major), got him a good high end gaming computer for taking to school) her keyboard- while not working with the game profile software(zengine) with her left gamepad, works close enough (oh and that work around listed above for her merc, didn't work, the driver installed, the software installs, but the second you switch from the zengine software to the game, the zengine deactivates the profile you loaded) that she was ok with it- ~4 buttons on the left side are not "right" now- using wow's interface setup, i could assign 1 of the 4 to what she wanted, the others, are set to shift alt and ctl buttons and cannot be reassigned via wow)

ultimately, i got her a midrange cyberpower computer from amazon( intel i5 8gig ram 120gig ssd 1tb hdd, nvidia 1060 video card), the mobo(b360 chipset) supports win7 but she was ok with using windows 10, so when it arrived i plugged in her ssd that has win7 and wow on it.
i did try to just boot to that drive- and it worked but no usb drivers for said mobo on ssd= no keyboard or mouse. so i booted to 10, installed her browser, discord, curse client(twitch app that boots directly to the addon section for wow) battle.net, pointed battle.net to where wow was, copied her profile from her win7 ssd for browser so that her bookmarks, settings, password stuff works in new installed browser) and she hasn't complained once. (ya i know workaround would be to boot the win7 ssd to win7's safemode with networking to load generic usb drivers and then install the mobo drivers for win7 that way, but i ran out of time due to me wanting to have it all set for her when she got home from work).

thanks for the suggestions you all had on the issue.

getting another power supply and using her 2tb hdd(that has windows 7 installed on it) from her old setup to get the "broken" computer running this weekend.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Here's an odd one: Just today mouse cursor suddenly moved like it was in quicksand. Took ages to move it across the screen. I take mouse off mousepad and works perfectly. I flip the mousepad over to the kind of sticky side and its works perfectly. But suddenly today it wont work on the proper side where it's supposed too and has for years.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Here's an odd one: Just today mouse cursor suddenly moved like it was in quicksand. Took ages to move it across the screen. I take mouse off mousepad and works perfectly. I flip the mousepad over to the kind of sticky side and its works perfectly. But suddenly today it wont work on the proper side where it's supposed too and has for years.
what mouse is it, won't hurt to give a quick dust off spray on the sensors.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
g600. I cleaned the sensors with rubbing alcohol after using my air duster on them. It helped slightly. I ended up just ordering a new mouse. As it had the problem on multiple mouse pads. I figured the sensor was weirding out and only reason it worked so well on the desk is the glossy finish. Not sure why it worked for the underside of the mousepad. And I don't really want to use my mouse on the desk and wear that down.

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
g600. I cleaned the sensors with rubbing alcohol after using my air duster on them. It helped slightly. I ended up just ordering a new mouse. As it had the problem on multiple mouse pads. I figured the sensor was weirding out and only reason it worked so well on the desk is the glossy finish. Not sure why it worked for the underside of the mousepad. And I don't really want to use my mouse on the desk and wear that down.
Optical sensor is likely weirding out, try a different color mouse pad.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I have a Ryzen 5 2600 and my motherboard is a ASUS ROG STRIX B405F

I -CAN NOT- get this processor to not go out of control with temp when gaming. I used a stock heat sync, hit 85c, I bought a 3rd party beast and some cool labs ultra grease and its still pushing 85c-87c. I don't want to get liquid cooling and frankly I dunno if that would even help at this point.

I know nothing of overclocking, so to my knowledge it's not. I've re-seated it 3 or 4 times with no better or worse result. the voltage I'm putting out is between 1.2-1.3 and I dont see any undo stress on the processor when watching it at idle and game loads. WTF am I doing wrong?

Could the ROG motherboard be preset to overclock? If so, what do I do to get that to not do it?