Computer Issues

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Look man the only reason I say it is I used to write bios as a profession. One hiccup and you brick your chip. For some mobos, there's a backup bios chip. For others you can just pop the chip out. But for many boards that chip is soldered in. Ive bricked so many bios chips at work doing mundane updates that I do always warn people about it. I usually recommend that unless you have a serious issue, you do not update bios. You may be the 1% that actually does need to update - but I would still rule everything out.

Set defaults first.

Also what's your temp just idle in windows?

Yeah, I agree on not updating it unless you have specific reasons to believe you will benefit from it. I just don't want him panicking over worrying it's going to blow his PC up or something.

Tarrant Tarrant Some stupid questions that have to be asked: are the fans actually running? Are they getting loud when things are hot (indicating they're actually running at high RPM) and have you seen any sort of fan speed indicators? (usually in the 500-2000 range) while it's under load or even just in bios?

When you get a chance, take a picture for us of the open case and Ms-paint circles around your fans with an arrow indicating which way the air is blowing.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Here’s photos of my bios. One thing I noticed in the cpu hardware monitor is says -99c. What’s up with that?

What should be different if anything?

45FFF692-B9B0-4424-A1C9-A2B07305363C.jpeg

14916043-BF47-482B-A45C-D7BEFDFEDE51.jpeg

DD464640-A353-46EF-815A-060196603F5C.jpeg

44C70070-F8D9-4187-885E-B66816AA69B6.jpeg

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Someone familiar with Ryzen can hopefully pipe up, but I'd assume you'd want to try turning off AI overclock and performance enhancer to see if that helps.

That -99c is suspect. I can't remember, is performance tanking when you're seeing the high temps too? Can you physically feel the case getting really hot? Could just be a faulty temp guage (not a good thing, even if it's just the readings that are high. Lots depend on this reading)

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
They might have it setup to have manual as a sort of off for their OC setup. I have no experience with asus boards or Ryzen, so I'll let someone else take over. Tag me if/when you get the case pic/fan test stuff figured out.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Won't hurt to try disabled. That -99C is pretty suspicious as well

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That's probably handled in a bios update.

Tarrant Tarrant from what I gather you'd want that auto OC turned on, but there should be a spot where you can set a limit. If you set the limit to something like 1.4V it should lower how high your proc is going. It might be going up to like 1.5V during intense loads.

Btw it seems this chipset has a lot of people complaining of similar issues.

Argarth

On the verandah
I know I said I'd stay out of this, :emoji_innocent: but even weirder: The BIOS version showing in your screen-shot is 1001. ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING right?

That's not even showing on the product page for your motherboard (older and newer versions are both there), like they removed it for some reason?

(edit: and the build date for the BIOS (your screen-shot) puts it right between 0602 and 1003 on the product page)

Last edited:

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
It's definitely 1001. It's in the second screenshot he posted

EDIT updating should priority #1 now

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone here use Adblock Plus on Chrome? I've used it for years, only today it's started to act up. It needs me to reload each and every webpage in order for it to work, which kind of defeats the point. Anyone know what is causing it, or better yet, have another extension that works better?

Edit: You know, why not just ask here what are essential security extensions for Chrome? I suppose now is as good a time as any to review how my Internet security is and add and remove shit as needed. :)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Anyone here use Adblock Plus on Chrome? I've used it for years, only today it's started to act up. It needs me to reload each and every webpage in order for it to work, which kind of defeats the point. Anyone know what is causing it, or better yet, have another extension that works better?

Edit: You know, why not just ask here what are essential security extensions for Chrome? I suppose now is as good a time as any to review how my Internet security is and add and remove shit as needed. :)
ublock origin is the new better adblock plus

just get webroot, uses .0001% resources, if you want you can pair it up with avast or whatever other bloated antivirus.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Bios update might fix it. The BMC runs the sensors and for desktop PCs that might be part of the bios image but I'm not sure

Usually sensors don't just go on these boards