Computer Issues

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Thanks, will have to try some things. Even just disabling the 2nd monitor the audio is clearly improved. If I need to play media on a second monitor knowing the above I'll try things like casting it to the TV in the room instead maybe.

Thanks.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So I get home last night and notice there is a new release of nvidia drivers. So I click it to install it and it fails. Wahtever I just updated like a few weeks ago so whatevs. Watch some netflix for a while and then fire up Planetside 2, failed to launch... Fucking windows is broken. Fresh install too like a few days ago. This new 1803 version is a piece of shit. Fucked around for like 4 hours last night trying to fix it to no avail. Even tried to do driver cleaner and all that and still would not install my new GPU drivers. Tried a few more fixes from the web and nothing works. Even keep getting windows UAC pop ups that im not authorized to do shit, first time ever I got shit like this. Even deleted PS2 and redownloaded it and still not working, but now my drivers are fucked trying fixes and shit, and I cant get one to install no matter what I do. So after a while I said fuck it and reinstalled Windows last night. I just fucking played PS2 the night before, lol.

Anyone else getting fuck ups with build 1803? Fuck even chrome was stuck on "establishing a secure connection" loop.

So this morning all fresh and updated, AGAIN, to 1803 because windows updater, finally got gpu drivers to install. Still getting the google chrome thing timing out on establishing a secure connection though.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So fucked around and tried a few games today after fresh install. Crashing every 5 min in game. Ran memtest and it failed. Fuck me. First time ever having bad memory. Best rated shit on amazon too. Some vengence shit. Anyway, computer still works, just cant game on it. Funny since when I first set it up I had like 16 hour gaming sessions on it last weekend.

Getting a new set through amazon through their return.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Been a good long while since I had a motherboard fail. Wife's computer doesn't start up. No video output, no USB power. Going to try and see if it'll start from a windows image but not expecting that to work, and finally going to pop it open and reseat the RAM but not much else it'd be, no?

Worked fine on Monday, she left for lunch and came back and it was as if the computer was stuck asleep. She restarted it and it hasn't come back up since.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Been a good long while since I had a motherboard fail. Wife's computer doesn't start up. No video output, no USB power. Going to try and see if it'll start from a windows image but not expecting that to work, and finally going to pop it open and reseat the RAM but not much else it'd be, no?
Always check the power supply (PS)first. Only ever had one motherboard fail on me here in some 40 years, first one a couple of weeks ago where BIOS died. Its a pain but try swapping in another PS that can handle the peak startup power of your regular one. Unplug GPU and use integrated gfx if your spare PS cant handle the wattage. You do not have to connect all internal devices, just motherboard power, cpu fan, reseat RAM etc and see if it posts/beeps, bugs you about no hard disk boot device etc, and move from there.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Couple issues have started popping up on my system:
1 - Computer won't actually shutdown without turning power supply off. Windows shuts down (doesn't go into sleep mode as far as I can tell), but all the hardware stays powered up.

2 - I am hearing a slight, intermittent buzzing during quiet moments while using headphones, and I've started to hear a slight warping in music (so far ONLY while watching a Twitch stream). I have sound going out from PC via SPDIF to my reciever, not using any spatial or sound enhancements in Windows or Reciever.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I want to remove GameBarPresenceWriter from my computer, but even though I own it and have Admin rights, I cannot. Never really had an issue with it popping up and using badnwidth, but since I've started playing PoE every time I've happened to get laggy or even dc, the GameBar was running and connected to somewhere.

I had the Xbox app installed a long time ago, but uninstalled it. I've turned "off" anything related to Xbox / Dvr in control panel as well. There is one key in the registry which still set to "1" (on)... and that is the key I cannot change at all.

When I try to give Admin / Myself "full" control of that section / key, I always get access denied. No idea what else to do.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So I want to remove GameBarPresenceWriter from my computer, but even though I own it and have Admin rights, I cannot. Never really had an issue with it popping up and using badnwidth, but since I've started playing PoE every time I've happened to get laggy or even dc, the GameBar was running and connected to somewhere.

I had the Xbox app installed a long time ago, but uninstalled it. I've turned "off" anything related to Xbox / Dvr in control panel as well. There is one key in the registry which still set to "1" (on)... and that is the key I cannot change at all.

When I try to give Admin / Myself "full" control of that section / key, I always get access denied. No idea what else to do.
Turn On or Off Game Bar in Windows 10

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, those are the default ways to disable it, which I've done already.

This is the Key that keeps allowing Windows to run it:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsRuntime\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Gaming.GameBar.Pres enceServer.Internal.PresenceWriter

That is the Key I cannot get the permission to change to "0" so it will never run again.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I'm thinking of at last making the jump from 8gb to 16gb ram on my main home computer. Problem is when I got this computer in late summer 2017 the Ryzen, or the MSI bios for the b350 had an issue where it basically could only run at 2100 even with my 2400 ram. I did a good bit of research at the time and it seemed this was an issue lots of people were having although some apparently were getting stability at 2933.

So basically I'm wondering am I stuck using 2100 ram? I guess I don't care too much if it's cheaper but it would be nice to get the actual full speed of the ram I already have as I'll likely just buy another 8gb stick at that price to save money. A few google searches gave me no answers so maybe this is no longer or issue, or just forgotten by many. It's a r5 1400 with an msi b350 if that helps.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I grabbed the Velop on sale a few weeks ago (Velop Whole-Home Mesh WiFi) and set it up, but mid setup had some weirdness with the iOS app. Now I'm constantly being forced pick my wifi network on my phone, like anytime I jump from one node in the mesh it makes me re-auth.

Any suggestions?

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Yea, those are the default ways to disable it, which I've done already.

This is the Key that keeps allowing Windows to run it:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsRuntime\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Gaming.GameBar.Pres enceServer.Internal.PresenceWriter

That is the Key I cannot get the permission to change to "0" so it will never run again.

Right click the key, permissions, take ownership, and assign yourself rights to the key.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
So I'm thinking of at last making the jump from 8gb to 16gb ram on my main home computer. Problem is when I got this computer in late summer 2017 the Ryzen, or the MSI bios for the b350 had an issue where it basically could only run at 2100 even with my 2400 ram. I did a good bit of research at the time and it seemed this was an issue lots of people were having although some apparently were getting stability at 2933.

So basically I'm wondering am I stuck using 2100 ram? I guess I don't care too much if it's cheaper but it would be nice to get the actual full speed of the ram I already have as I'll likely just buy another 8gb stick at that price to save money. A few google searches gave me no answers so maybe this is no longer or issue, or just forgotten by many. It's a r5 1400 with an msi b350 if that helps.
Have you tried new BIOS updates? Most AM4 boards got BIOS updates to AGESA Code 1.0.0.6 in Nov/Dec 2018. People say it has helped them OC their RAM. It helped me tweak my RAM timings a little on my Asrock X470 board @ 3200MHz with a Zen 1 CPU just like yours (2400G).

If you're planning on plopping in an upgrade (Ryzen 2x00 or new 3x00 in a few months) I would say maybe bite the bullet and go for a 16GB 3200MHz RAM set.
RAM compatability on Zen+ and is much much better than Zen 1 and the performance jump from 2100 and 3200 MHz ram can be significant.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I grabbed the Velop on sale a few weeks ago (Velop Whole-Home Mesh WiFi) and set it up, but mid setup had some weirdness with the iOS app. Now I'm constantly being forced pick my wifi network on my phone, like anytime I jump from one node in the mesh it makes me re-auth.

Any suggestions?

Take it back and get the Orbi. Dead serious. Its so much better. Almost everyone I know that has Velop has issues.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So just this afternoon, in Chrome, whenever I middle mouse click a link (any link) it gets a pop-up blocked in the search bar.

What the fuck? How do I get rid of this?

Edit: Turns out it was Ghostery. God damnit. I guess I need to find a new popup blocker that's not retarded

Last edited:

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Right click the key, permissions, take ownership, and assign yourself rights to the key.
I get this every time I try to alter the permissions on that key:
denied.png

If you know of a way around that denial, I'll try it.