Computer Issues

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Do you have a spare HDD or something you can install Windows onto?

Go here

Grab Standard W10 ISO. You don't need a key.

Put it on a thumbdrive with this

Once it's flashed, go into your BIOS and make sure the thumb drive is the first bootable drive....then load Windows from it on whatever HDD you swapped into the SSD spot.

Make sure the spare HHD is the only one in your system, otherwise you could nuke your main W10 install.

It should only take about 10-15 minutes to load Windows 10 onto a fresh drive. If it boots quickly, then you have a W10 issue on your main drive. DO a backup of your stuff and reinstall W10.

If it is still slow, then you have to start juggling hardware.
btw, this worked best for me rather than the traditional ms download from here

had an install error, then loaded up that site with iso's, easy peezy

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
yea, i'm just getting hit up in deal notifications for ssds lately
OH I see. Sorry, and thanks for the heads up. I haven't had any time to sit and work on the PC, but maybe I will order that and hook it up.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Can a PC guru explain to me how in the hell my mobo caught on fire? PC was in sleep mode and suddenly I smelled something weird. Couldnt figure out where it was coming from. Went upstairs to play a game and my computer wouldn't come out of sleep mode. Tried powering it up and still nothing. Opened my case and saw a small singe in the photo. Thought my power supply died so I tried another one. Powered it up and a small flame erupted where the pictures shows. And what part of the mobo that caught on fire?

And what's a good mobo for a AMD Ryzen 7 1700 CPU since I need a new mobo.

20190705_223430.jpg

20190705_223435.jpg

Last edited:

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
No idea what happened there. The only computer fire I've dealt with was a grease fire inside a computer that was in an office attached to a commercial kitchen.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I removed the red heat sink and found this. Dunno what are these but this what caught on fire.

20190705_231556.jpg

20190705_231550.jpg

Argarth

On the verandah
That's life with complex electronics. In your case it looks like the circuitry associated with the VRMs (power modules); unfortunately things just let go sometimes.

It's not that uncommon, if you work with this stuff regularly, to see brand new components self-destruct the first time power is applied to them. Considering the enormous complexity in some of this circuitry these days, the reliability of it is pretty amazing really.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It's a thing that happens, albeit not often. It's nothing you did. Sometimes there are just faults in one of the hundred or so components that make up a mobo and it can't handle power correctly or some shit and it blows. More common with cheap boards that have low end components and cut corners out of necessity of the price point.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
And what's a good mobo for a AMD Ryzen 7 1700 CPU since I need a new mobo.

Something from MSI like a B450 Tomahawk or something for Gigabyte if you need on-board wifi. Not sure on the 570s yet. I think they are all starting near $200 and go up.

Maybe get a mobo/cpu combo deal with a new Ryzen 3000 CPU?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The initial event probably left them fine. The second one with the other PSU might have put them at risk. The likelihood is they're fine though. Impossible to tell until testing is done. Note that warranties long than 1 year aren't uncommon with mobos. Check into it.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Not seen a component burnout for years, shit like this used to happen all the time. Things have got alot better but you can still get a bad pcb or dodgy component on the board.

Happens a fuckton on fake items like hairdryers and shit like that which are copied all the time using shit chinese pcbs.

Might be worth contacting them, they might give you an upgraded replacement for the cost of a call.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah, a good bit of tagging them on twitter with those pics could get you fixed up if you're out of warranty as well. No company wants pics of burned boards on their social media presence.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Those are MOSFETs.

Grab a Gigabyte or Asus B450 board. Avoid Asrock and MSI like the plagues they are.
That's what I ordered an Asus rog Strix 450-f gaming mobo this time. Do you think my CPU or GPU may be damaged?

Kiki

Log Wizard
That's what I ordered an Asus rog Strix 450-f gaming mobo this time. Do you think my CPU or GPU may be damaged?

I hardly ever see cpu's die, they are usually tanks. GPU's are much more sensitive. Hopefully it's fine as it's probably some cheap chinese chips fault and not a power surge but who knows what the mobo did at that point.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I'm back up thanks for all the advice and tips but 1 question. Apparently since I have a new mobo my copy of Windows 10 is no longer registered. What can I do other than buying a new copy to get it activated? And no it's not pirated.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user