Computer Issues

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I did try same sizes in 1-3 and 2-4. Any time there is a stick in slots 3 or 4 I get the debug lights.

I just tried updating my BIOS and that didn't fix it. I thought it might because a few of the updates said better memory compatibility, but it didn't.

The issue seems to be slots 3 and 4, not the memory, because both of them work when in slots 1 and 2.

Just want to be sure, you had just you old ram moved to slots 3 and 4 and nothing else in and it still bugged out?

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Bought SSD for the wife.

She has a shitty prebuilt.

Unplugged the CD drive cables, plugged in the SSD and it won't let me give myself permissions. Not at home so I don't remember exactly what.

Essentially it won't let me do the thing every site and video says to do to fix it. Don't have permission to set permissions. It's strange.

Yeah it's logged in as admin etc

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Okay I'm at a fucking loss. Lately my computer has started just instant reboot, no blue screen or anything, while playing PUBG (not consistently, sometimes I play for hours no problem, sometimes it happens back to back). I've tried doing everything. Ran Memtest for 8.5 hours last night no hours, I've tried stress testing the CPU and GPU, neither crashed (oinly ran each for like ~15m though). I've reset bios to default (minus ram speed/timing). Temps are high but not out of line (70-80c).

I'm rolling back my video driver now, because that might have been the same time I started getting the problem. I really don't know what else to try if the problem persists

Edit: the only thing Event Viewer has to say is the system recovered from an unexpected shutdown or something like that.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
The worst thing is that I can't get it to crashes on its own. I have both prime 95 and furmark running at the same time and it's stable

I also ordered a ups, because I'm somewhat concerned it might be surges or something along those lines.

Hopefully when I get new PSU tomorrow that solves it, because this is frustrating

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Id guess maybe it isn't overheating then and your card or CPU is drawing some extra voltage while gaming and dying. Not sure though

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Okay so this might sound stupid, but whatever

New PSU installed. My temps decreased while playing PUBG. I've only played one game, so not a huge sample size, but before I was hitting 70-80c consistently. 3 of my 4 cores topped out at like 65c. Is it possible my PSU was faulty in a way that was pushing more power than it should, causing higher temps and the crashes?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Okay so this might sound stupid, but whatever

New PSU installed. My temps decreased while playing PUBG. I've only played one game, so not a huge sample size, but before I was hitting 70-80c consistently. 3 of my 4 cores topped out at like 65c. Is it possible my PSU was faulty in a way that was pushing more power than it should, causing higher temps and the crashes?

An hour of playing and no crashes, sitting at ~60c while playing instead of like ~75c. Crazy that a bad power supply causes that much heat in addition to the crashes and stuff

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
Could be that the power supply itself was throwing off a ton of extra heat due to failing.
Were the fans on the old PSU actually working? Depending on how your case is situated the PSU could be sitting on top so the intake fan for it sucks air from the interior of the case and the exhaust pushes it out the back. If either of those 2 fans failed the extra heat could stall out and stay in the case. If your case was set up such that the PSU sits on the bottom with the intake pulling from outside, and the exhaust pushing out the back then the extra heat it would produce from failing fans would only be radiating off the top (which would probably be less).

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
wow weird, quality psu like that woulda been my last checklist
I mean it was 7 years old. I also wouldn't be surprised if it ate one or more surges from a lightning strike over the years, I do live in South Florida. I know at some point I had the HDMI ports on a TV and a GTX 680 get knocked out by lightning, can't recall if that was on that PSU or not