Computer Issues

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've said it here before but I had to deal with ASRock engineers when we were using their motherboards for awhile and they seemed like they had no idea what they weere doing

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Okay, I need some input from some of you bios geniuses...

I was running 2x 8gb DDR4 PC3200 Team Dark Pro memorry with an XMP profile @3200mhz. With some credit card company fuckery I now have 4x8gb of the same ram, so I have installed it and now I can no longer run an xmp profile or even get close to 3200mhz. I've tried updating BIOS, attempting to get Ryzen Master Software to push it to 3200hmz and even tried manually adjusting it in the bios with no luck (Even with more relaxed timings, although I'm not 100% certain I did everything correct).

Any input or tips on wtf I'm doing wrong? Any help greatly appreciated.

System

MSI X470 Gaming Plus
Ryzen 2700X
Corsair H115i Cooler
RAM in question here

Argarth

On the verandah
Hekotat Hekotat
This probably isn't much help, but there are only 2 versions of TEAM memory that are shown as tested/supported in 4 stick configuration for your MB, taken from MSI support page.
None of the listed 3200 sticks are supported in 4x config. Check your part numbers maybe, you might have to drop the speed to 3000 or lower to get it to work?

edit: Missed your link. Yours isn't listed, but is better than the TDPRD416G3200HC16ADC01 that is. Still, they only list that part as supported with 2 slots @3200.

TeamTF1D48G3000HC16CBK2133MHz3000MHz2933 MHzSK hynix1.35vSINGLE8GB√ | √ | √

TeamTF3D48G2400HC15BBK2133MHz2400MHz2400 MHzMicron1.2vSINGLE8GB√ | √ | √

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Hekotat Hekotat
This probably isn't much help, but there are only 2 versions of TEAM memory that are shown as tested/supported in 4 stick configuration for your MB, taken from MSI support page.
None of the listed 3200 sticks are supported in 4x config. Check your part numbers maybe, you might have to drop the speed to 3000 or lower to get it to work?

edit: Missed your link. Yours isn't listed, but is better than the TDPRD416G3200HC16ADC01 that is. Still, they only list that part as supported with 2 slots @3200.

Well damn, I was looking for that information but was limited on time to search when on break. Looks like I'm going to be motherboard shopping soon.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Hekotat Hekotat

Those sticks in question are the same as every other Samsung B-die 3200 CL 14 ram, so check for those on the QVL as well.

You may have to drop them to CL 15 with the same timings.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Have a relatively new desktop build and a curious issue has come about. Whenever I open some of our model files in excel (30-40mb), it shows a little processing blurb about 8 cores in use / calculating etc. Only when I see that do I hear a noise that sounds like something hitting a fan like plastic dangling and just rapidly getting beaned by a moving blade, soon as its done processing the noise stops.

I checked the obvious fans but couldn't find anything dangling nearby, and don't think I'm missing any that I can't see (at least I sure hope not). Anyone know of anything else that may make that noise when the processor/cores are taxed briefly? I know next to nothing about multi-cores and such so might be a dumb question.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Have a relatively new desktop build and a curious issue has come about. Whenever I open some of our model files in excel (30-40mb), it shows a little processing blurb about 8 cores in use / calculating etc. Only when I see that do I hear a noise that sounds like something hitting a fan like plastic dangling and just rapidly getting beaned by a moving blade, soon as its done processing the noise stops.

I checked the obvious fans but couldn't find anything dangling nearby, and don't think I'm missing any that I can't see (at least I sure hope not). Anyone know of anything else that may make that noise when the processor/cores are taxed briefly? I know next to nothing about multi-cores and such so might be a dumb question.

The only moving pieces in a PC are fans and hard disk drives. Did you check the graphics card fan? Could also not be something dangling and instead be a fan that is warped and so the blades are hitting the casing.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Had someone else build it / professionally wire it so it wouldn't have wires all over the place. Fans didn't look bent and its silent the rest of the time so hopefully not an issue with those, but gives me a place to look. Thanks gents

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
if you can, try replacing the cpu fan, it could be fine at low rpm, but when ramped up it warps and you get clicking rattle (when they ramp up, they deform a teeny bit)

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
It's a long shot, but I have a problem with the RAM in my PC: RAM only works in slots 1-2.

I built a PC about a year ago. I clearly didn't do my research on which slots to install the RAM in because I installed them in 1-2. I now know that will run slower. I bought some more RAM and installed them in slots 3-4 and the CPU and DRAM debug lights came on and I had no monitor or mouse power. I tried every other combination possible and nothing works except 1-2. I verified the RAM is compatible with my MOBO (the new stuff is exactly the same as the old except 32GB vs 16). I obviously want to keep the 16 GB I already had and use the 32 GB I just bought.

I have been reading a bunch of threads I found on Google and it sounds like either I got a toast MOBO or something is wrong with my CPU. I would love to solve this without completely disassembling my computer but it sounds like I may have to. Any insight?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Did you check your mobo would accept 2 different sizes at the same time? In general you want to stick to the same sticks/sizes to rule out these types of problems.

EDIT did you check if you need a bios update for 32 GB support? Never hurts to look. If you haven't updated it at all, it could still fix the issue.

Last edited:

Janx

<Silver Donator>
It's a long shot, but I have a problem with the RAM in my PC: RAM only works in slots 1-2.

I built a PC about a year ago. I clearly didn't do my research on which slots to install the RAM in because I installed them in 1-2. I now know that will run slower. I bought some more RAM and installed them in slots 3-4 and the CPU and DRAM debug lights came on and I had no monitor or mouse power. I tried every other combination possible and nothing works except 1-2. I verified the RAM is compatible with my MOBO (the new stuff is exactly the same as the old except 32GB vs 16). I obviously want to keep the 16 GB I already had and use the 32 GB I just bought.

I have been reading a bunch of threads I found on Google and it sounds like either I got a toast MOBO or something is wrong with my CPU. I would love to solve this without completely disassembling my computer but it sounds like I may have to. Any insight?
Probably doesnt help but I just upgraded to a Ryzen 3700x w/Asus 570x MB and the ram from my old intel (2200 HyperX fury?) only worked in slots 3&4 (1&2?). Got new Corsair Vengence 3600mhz and it works fine in 2&4(1&3? whatever). So could still be some kind of compatibility issue.

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
I did try same sizes in 1-3 and 2-4. Any time there is a stick in slots 3 or 4 I get the debug lights.

I just tried updating my BIOS and that didn't fix it. I thought it might because a few of the updates said better memory compatibility, but it didn't.

The issue seems to be slots 3 and 4, not the memory, because both of them work when in slots 1 and 2.