Computer Issues

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
OK, I just updated to the newest version of Win10 about 5 days ago and since that update my main monitor will not wake up from sleep mode. The secondary (which I am typing on now) does fine, but the other just stays off even through a power off and back on. I have checked the power settings and nothing about that monitor is different from the second one. Any suggestions?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I had windows not detect my second monitor at all after the last big update until I reinstalled my video drivers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
Could be driver related. Have you tried doing a clean install of your video drivers? When you go into device manager, and expand monitors, does it display both monitors or just the working one? Is device manager showing any issues with your display adapter? What happens when you have only the non-working monitor plugged in to your PC? Try that with the current input and the input for the working monitor.

Behemoth

Trakanon Raider
I hope this is just GPU death. Started as little sprites on screen. Rapidly got to this point and computer won’t boot.

It’s machine I built in 2011 GTX 570

New vid card here Wednesday.

6DAA3E71-A92E-412C-8121-A0A700530C43.jpeg

9C411E13-436F-4FCC-ACAD-A5DD97E3DC03.jpeg

A8A8A136-B47F-45D3-984E-D475385778CE.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You say that but how many of us are going to hold on to our current cards for at least 3-4 years while they vainly struggle to try and make an affordable card that can hit 4K 120fps. And a low latency monitor that can display that.

Behemoth

Trakanon Raider
8 years out of a video card is a long time

Yea I’m not even mad, just wasn’t planning on the full new PC build till magic 3 paycheck month in November. Ordered an RX 590 which will be bottlenecked bigtime my CPU but should work till then.

Behemoth

Trakanon Raider
You say that but how many of us are going to hold on to our current cards for at least 3-4 years while they vainly struggle to try and make an affordable card that can hit 4K 120fps. And a low latency monitor that can display that.

I’m not even considering 4K until that happens. I’ll survive with 1080p ultrawide

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I still use a computer I built almost 15 years ago. Of course I upgraded the motherboard 4 times. The CPU 4 times. The OS 3 times. The hard drives 3 times. The keyboard and mouse 3 times. The video card 4 times.

But man it's been a long lasting computer...err case.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I still use a computer I built almost 15 years ago. Of course I upgraded the motherboard 4 times. The CPU 4 times. The OS 3 times. The hard drives 3 times. The keyboard and mouse 3 times. The video card 4 times.

But man it's been a long lasting computer...err case.
yea i've had my case for about 11 years?
51225KxeI2L.jpg

it's a "rocketfish" a rebranded lianli from best buy, i think it was like 50bucks, it's a super tower.

mines a bit different, it actually opens from the other side (so the cpu actually faces down) and it has a few niceties like two 120 fan ports on top and the drive cages are removable.

of course as a "modern" case it lacks a lot of shit, that would be easy for me to fix now that i have a garage full of power tools. I could easily drill out the rivets and take off the drive cages, cuz who the hell uses drives anymore? i could a big ass hole for the cpu and add another 120 fan mount on top.

I also have a real lianli as my htpc/bedroom computer. I have no idea how but that is 1/4 the size and also is holding 6hdds.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So I spoke too soon in the Desktop thread about having both computers up and running.

Old desktop I put in power supply, video card, and SSD, and connected the cables all back up. Turn it on, and everything spins up, lights up, but I get no post beep, and within 5 seconds or so it shuts itself off, and then it turn itself back on again, and then shuts itself off.

I googled it, but it seems all just random hit or miss on whether it'll make things work. I guess that's computer trouble shooting, but all the cables are good? I've read that reseating your CMOS battery might fix things, as well as re-seating the RAM.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Yep, reseat everything and have the minimum amount of hardware plugged in to have a functional computer. 1 drive, 1 stick of ram, clear cmos, etc.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I've started to get a blue screen of death like the one shown above, but with a different cause. The error given is: BUGCODE USB DRIVER

Nothing in my device manager is showing as causing issues. As far as I know I have the latest chipset drivers for my motherboard. So I'm kinda t a loss as to what to look for to try and fix.

Crone

Yep, reseat everything and have the minimum amount of hardware plugged in to have a functional computer. 1 drive, 1 stick of ram, clear cmos, etc.
Unplugged the DVD drive that wasn't even plugged into SATA, and was just plugged into power, and took all RAM sticks out but 1, and it worked. Shut it down, put the RAM back in, and it's still working. The issue now is the boot drive isn't booting into Windows. I get the message to put in a correct boot drive.

It was the same SSD that used to run this computer, but it's been just a storage drive for a while in my new computer. I never formatted it, or did anything with it's files, so I figured I could put it back in and it'd just boot up windows like normal. I guess this isn't the case?

I'm making a Win10 bootable thumb drive now, but was hoping to not have to do that.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Unplugged the DVD drive that wasn't even plugged into SATA, and was just plugged into power, and took all RAM sticks out but 1, and it worked. Shut it down, put the RAM back in, and it's still working. The issue now is the boot drive isn't booting into Windows. I get the message to put in a correct boot drive.

It was the same SSD that used to run this computer, but it's been just a storage drive for a while in my new computer. I never formatted it, or did anything with it's files, so I figured I could put it back in and it'd just boot up windows like normal. I guess this isn't the case?

I'm making a Win10 bootable thumb drive now, but was hoping to not have to do that.

Theoretically yes, it could have worked. I've always formatted any boot drive that I've moved between computers though. Last time I didn't was maybe 15 years ago with a dive with XP installed on it. While it did work, it was fucky enough that I formatted it within the first week.

Crone

Theoretically yes, it could have worked. I've always formatted any boot drive that I've moved between computers though. Last time I didn't was maybe 15 years ago with a dive with XP installed on it. While it did work, it was fucky enough that I formatted it within the first week.
Yea, I agree that if switching up hardware, and everything else it just makes sense to have a clean install. In this case, the SSD had come out of this computer when I built my new one, and was just a storage drive on my new computer. Ended up not really using it for much of anything, and so I thought since it didn't change much, and it's going back into the same computer it came from, with same hardware, that it'd work.

It didn't, but that's fine. Did the Win10 Home install this morning, and it's all good.

• 1Like

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
So I've started to get a blue screen of death like the one shown above, but with a different cause. The error given is: BUGCODE USB DRIVER

Nothing in my device manager is showing as causing issues. As far as I know I have the latest chipset drivers for my motherboard. So I'm kinda t a loss as to what to look for to try and fix.

Googling that particular error code yields plenty of fixes to try. A lot of the fixes I saw are related to drivers/OS related issues. Its possible the USB ports or devices are malfunctioning but not reporting it. What do you have plugged in via usb?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I recently installed the Win 10 update to 1903. Like two days ago. I am routinely getting BSOD Page Fault In Nonpaged Area error. I understand this is a generic error so I did the usual. Updated all drivers I could find and still it happens.

I notice that my second monitor will flicker the moment before it BSODs.

Any ideas?

Argarth

On the verandah
I recently installed the Win 10 update to 1903. Like two days ago. I am routinely getting BSOD Page Fault In Nonpaged Area error. I understand this is a generic error so I did the usual. Updated all drivers I could find and still it happens.

I notice that my second monitor will flicker the moment before it BSODs.

Any ideas?

NVidia Card? (asked because you mentioned the monitor)

If so, I had the same BSOD error just twice, with very recent NV drivers and only after two major Win10 patches. Haven't had a BSOD in years other than these two, rig is ultra stable.

A complete DDU/reinstall of the latest driver resolved it. It hasn't happened again since.