Computer Issues

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
So my Motherboard blew up and took my main document Harddrive with it.
It no longer spins, BIOS does no recognize it.

It is a WD 60EZAZ with PCB board of

PCB 2060-800077-003​

Is anyone here familiar with advanced data recovery?
Im going down the rabbit how of BIOS chip swapping.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So my Motherboard blew up and took my main document Harddrive with it.
It no longer spins, BIOS does no recognize it.

It is a WD 60EZAZ with PCB board of

PCB 2060-800077-003​

Is anyone here familiar with advanced data recovery?
Im going down the rabbit how of BIOS chip swapping.
for best compatibility (not bios desolding, which is difficult) you also need the rev of the board like this

df2ea4c50b50d1846baabcfccffcdfba.png

your board looks hard to find, here are the ebay listings w/o the revs

if youre lucky, you can just buy a $20 board unscrew a few torx screws and slip it in.

i think for new wd boards you might need to get "unlocked" boards, idk, but they are sold

Last edited:

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
for best compatibility (not bios desolding, which is difficult) you also need the rev of the board like this

df2ea4c50b50d1846baabcfccffcdfba.png

your board looks hard to find, here are the ebay listings w/o the revs

if youre lucky, you can just buy a $20 board unscrew a few torx screws and slip it in.

i think for new wd boards you might need to get "unlocked" boards, idk, but they are sold
there is HDD zone that seems to have 2 versions locked an unlocked. Ill order the unlocked version. Im guessing im gonna have to send the boards to someone who can do the soldering off the chips.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
there is HDD zone that seems to have 2 versions locked an unlocked. Ill order the unlocked version. Im guessing im gonna have to send the boards to someone who can do the soldering off the chips.
if you don't know about hot air soldering watch this video

this is time stamped to a hot air reflow

he desolders a chip and puts on a new one, this is what you'd have to do

watch the beginning of the video for an explanation of the hot air station, and stuff, his is a combo, so you can just get a "decent" chinese hot air for 50ish bucks, and practice on an old board or something

i'm not saying do this instead, but it's an option, the barrier isn't all that expensive and if you do fuck up, your data is still save, since it's still on the platters and you just still get a real pcb from somewhere. (maybe don't fuck up the bios chip tho)

but yea, if youre not sure, send it away

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I bought the unlocked version. Hopefully it tells me which chips to replace. Nice video, i should get some flux as well to help with the metal contacts.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Where would I start troubleshooting if my gaming laptop that's about 6 years old, is slowly crashing itself after a while of playing a game? Trying to play Ori on Gamepass, and it'll work fine for a while and then the sound cuts out, then Bluetooth (controller loses connection), and then finally it'll hard freeze. I thought that sounded like temps, because HW Monitor was showing like 99 degrees C on the CPU. Thought it'd be memory, but just upgraded both sticks and went from 8 to 16Gb, and continues to do it. Updated drivers on the integrated, and since it's an 8970m mobile GPU, there are not really updated drivers for the discrete GPU. It'll go through a 2-hour zoom call just fine. I don't know where else to check.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Where would I start troubleshooting if my gaming laptop that's about 6 years old, is slowly crashing itself after a while of playing a game? Trying to play Ori on Gamepass, and it'll work fine for a while and then the sound cuts out, then Bluetooth (controller loses connection), and then finally it'll hard freeze. I thought that sounded like temps, because HW Monitor was showing like 99 degrees C on the CPU. Thought it'd be memory, but just upgraded both sticks and went from 8 to 16Gb, and continues to do it. Updated drivers on the integrated, and since it's an 8970m mobile GPU, there are not really updated drivers for the discrete GPU. It'll go through a 2-hour zoom call just fine. I don't know where else to check.

Can you get a temp on the GPU? Eventually crashing when the GPU is being heavily utilized points at something GPU related. It might be overheating and creating problems elsewhere. Could also be mobo related if it's always sound and bluetooth crapping out first.

Wouldn't hurt to tear it down and clean it out.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
99 degrees is not good, not good at all. CPU is liking throttling itself to not die a horrible death but it is now just a slow horrible death

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The first thing I’d check on in this situation is the laptop selection at the local microcenter and Best Buy.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Can you get a temp on the GPU? Eventually crashing when the GPU is being heavily utilized points at something GPU related. It might be overheating and creating problems elsewhere. Could also be mobo related if it's always sound and bluetooth crapping out first.

Wouldn't hurt to tear it down and clean it out.
I got temp on the GPU, and it was 80C , so not great but doing ok. I'm feeling like it already cooked the mobo, because it's doing it after about 15 minutes now, but I immediately check HW Monitor, and the temps are pretty normal. So it seems I cooked the mobo, and now it's just fucked even if it's not getting that hot again.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
You’re looking at taking it apart, checking if the fans still work, cleaning out the heat sinks, and re-pasting the cpu and gpu at a minimum.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
So. When I try to boot into the bios (shift restart) I eventually get a VGA light on my MB. This can only be resolved via reseating the card in the PCI slot. I know this sounds silly, but can Windows 10 update have caused this issue? That's the only thing that has changed on my system since I got my new GPU. RX6800.

Or am I looking at a hardware issue?