Computer Issues

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
My guess would be to make it easier for people who are just adding more RAM instead of replacing the existing sticks.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My guess would be to make it easier for people who are just adding more RAM instead of replacing the existing sticks.
I guess that's true. Ended up just switching it to the primary slots for when I upgrade it'll be easier. Was surprised at how easy it was to remove the keyboard and get to it. I was expecting much more of a hassle removing the keyboard and everything surrounding it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Couple times this week my PC has restarted and Itll sit at a prompt saying something about the ME being malformed or something. I can't remember the exact wording they used. I enter setup and reboot and all is good.

Is this cause for concern? I've only seen it after OCing so I assume the ME is complaining about that. I actually don't care about the ME because what Intel is doing with it is super shady.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Kinda feel like I have a first world PC problem. I have an i5 4690k, 16gb of RAM and a 1080 Ti connected to 2 monitors at 1440p, one is an ultrawide.

What I've been noticing more and more lately is apps don't seem to be multitasking as well. Tonight for example I fired up a game on my primary monitor and the audio sync on Football streaming on the second monitor messed up. That was in Chrome, and is my typical issue, something in the 2nd monitor straining as I'm doing something in the primary. Typically this is a level loading, a game starting up or sometimes just alt-tabbing.

I don't really remember these issues before moving from my 1080p ultrawide or before getting my 1080 Ti. I am a Windows Insider so maybe it's just been the last few builds having issues and not running on my rig as well.

Per task manager this is my video card hitting 100%. A 1080 Ti. Am I expecting too much or does something seem way off here? We're talking about things like loading WoW and an Amazon video skipping and stuttering, dropping quality and then taking 20 seconds to recover, that kind of thing. RAM sits around 8-10gb used, and CPU never really goes past 73%.

Will do some more testing and check temps tonight.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Kinda feel like I have a first world PC problem. I have an i5 4690k, 16gb of RAM and a 1080 Ti connected to 2 monitors at 1440p, one is an ultrawide.

What I've been noticing more and more lately is apps don't seem to be multitasking as well. Tonight for example I fired up a game on my primary monitor and the audio sync on Football streaming on the second monitor messed up. That was in Chrome, and is my typical issue, something in the 2nd monitor straining as I'm doing something in the primary. Typically this is a level loading, a game starting up or sometimes just alt-tabbing.

I don't really remember these issues before moving from my 1080p ultrawide or before getting my 1080 Ti. I am a Windows Insider so maybe it's just been the last few builds having issues and not running on my rig as well.

Per task manager this is my video card hitting 100%. A 1080 Ti. Am I expecting too much or does something seem way off here? We're talking about things like loading WoW and an Amazon video skipping and stuttering, dropping quality and then taking 20 seconds to recover, that kind of thing. RAM sits around 8-10gb used, and CPU never really goes past 73%.

Will do some more testing and check temps tonight.

I have to turn off hardware acceleration in Chrome when this happens. Can pretty much blame Chrome. My system runs great, tons of things at once, but after I open Chrome, with certain websites, it tanks performance. Games go from 70fps to 25. It's very funky. Helps a little bit to purge cache/history, or last resort, reset Chrome.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
It just felt like it was worse than normal, going from a 980Ti to a 1080Ti some games actually felt like they ran worse (Diablo 3 was the worst offender).

Disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome was a noticeable improvement. Still some video choppiness but nothing nearly as bad as it was.

That's a driver problem. Windows 7 or 10?

10. 387.68.

I'll note some actual FPS differences if i start going down that rabbit hole again. Fortnite seemed almost unplayable w/ all the frame drops. Kept dropping quality more and more and finally tried to go full screen, and I can have everything on max with fantastic performance.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
This is on my Linux work box, but chrome recently started chugging badly. Turned out to be the theme I was using.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Lately I've been having some issues with Win 10 on games running borderless windowed full screen. Essentially, the cursor can "jump" out of the window. The odd thing is, while it's obviously noticeable going over to monitor 2, it can jump out still just in 1 and hit for instance the task bar or start button.

Both desktop and game are running in 1440p. Happens in several games. Games do claim focus on the mouse in general, but something calls it to skip out to windows.

I'm puzzled. I don't have anything software enhanced, running my g502 and I use dpi resolution on the mouse to modulate cursor speed rather than windows hardware emulation.

Maybe win 10 adds something stupid like transparent one pixel border for borderless windows? I don't know why it's happening so much lately.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Lately I've been having some issues with Win 10 on games running borderless windowed full screen. Essentially, the cursor can "jump" out of the window. The odd thing is, while it's obviously noticeable going over to monitor 2, it can jump out still just in 1 and hit for instance the task bar or start button.

Both desktop and game are running in 1440p. Happens in several games. Games do claim focus on the mouse in general, but something calls it to skip out to windows.

I'm puzzled. I don't have anything software enhanced, running my g502 and I use dpi resolution on the mouse to modulate cursor speed rather than windows hardware emulation.

Maybe win 10 adds something stupid like transparent one pixel border for borderless windows? I don't know why it's happening so much lately.

Is one of your screens connected via DisplayPort? I've noticed it acts funny compared to DVI/HDMI.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
I see that on occasion too, one is a DisplayPort screen also. Usually have to alt-tab a few times or hit start a couple times and it gets it's shit together.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
So my computer is fucked. Randomly freezes after a few minutes. I thought it was software or a windows 10 issue but after spending all day reformatting a couple of times, installing drivers, and testing hardware I am stuck and tired. At this point I am clueless as to the cause of the issue. I have tried just about everything tested the memory, removed different hard drives to limit the potential causes. No luck, so I figured I would see if you guys could help recommend some options. I think I may just buy a new Motherboard, CPU, Ram, and maybe update my video card as well.

My current busted specs are

Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
i5-4760k
2x4gig X-Series DDR3-2133 Memory
MSI Geforce 760
Samsung 840 250g SSD
Samsung 850 EVO 500g SSD
Seagate 2TB SSHD x2
Fractal Design Define XL R2 Black Silent EATX Full Tower case - Which I have to say is fucking awesome and silent as shit.
Corsair TX 850w power supply
2 G276HL Acer Monitors which by todays standards are a little dated.

Most of this stuff is about 4 years old or more at this point so having some parts go bad isn't a huge surprise I guess. My question is what do you guys recommend? If anyone has any suggestions on the freezing that's great but I am also fine with upgrading some pieces. I just don't really want to drop $1500 if I can help it. I know black friday and cyber monday shit are right around the corner but I don't know if it's worth waiting or not. Any advice here would be much appreciated.

Saw this thing for under $300 and I am tempted to get one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D3BDXQA/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A2K7RN1DSQCI9O&psc=1

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Have you recently updated:

BIOS/UEFI?
Sound drivers?
Display drivers?

Prior to this issue? A BIOS/UEFI update sometimes might help. I've also had issues where updated sound drivers were hard crashing my PC. I would roll stuff back and see if it clears up then update one by one

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
So my computer is fucked. Randomly freezes after a few minutes. I thought it was software or a windows 10 issue but after spending all day reformatting a couple of times, installing drivers, and testing hardware I am stuck and tired. At this point I am clueless as to the cause of the issue. I have tried just about everything tested the memory, removed different hard drives to limit the potential causes. No luck, so I figured I would see if you guys could help recommend some options. I think I may just buy a new Motherboard, CPU, Ram, and maybe update my video card as well.

My current busted specs are

Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
i5-4760k
2x4gig X-Series DDR3-2133 Memory
MSI Geforce 760
Samsung 840 250g SSD
Samsung 850 EVO 500g SSD
Seagate 2TB SSHD x2
Fractal Design Define XL R2 Black Silent EATX Full Tower case - Which I have to say is fucking awesome and silent as shit.
Corsair TX 850w power supply
2 G276HL Acer Monitors which by todays standards are a little dated.

Most of this stuff is about 4 years old or more at this point so having some parts go bad isn't a huge surprise I guess. My question is what do you guys recommend? If anyone has any suggestions on the freezing that's great but I am also fine with upgrading some pieces. I just don't really want to drop $1500 if I can help it. I know black friday and cyber monday shit are right around the corner but I don't know if it's worth waiting or not. Any advice here would be much appreciated.

Saw this thing for under $300 and I am tempted to get one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D3BDXQA/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A2K7RN1DSQCI9O&psc=1
time the freeze up, is it like right after bootup?

or when you like turn on a game or some shit, need more info.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Do you know how to boot up in Safemode and check your Event Viewer to see what's critically failing? Are you getting a grey/blue screen or is it just hardlocking?

Checked your CPU fan and heatsink to ensure they're properly seated? Shit, I would make sure everything was seated/connected properly (all cables/power rails/RAM).

Don't get that monitor. A 32" at 1080p sounds gross... but I guess I've just gotten used to 4K.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
time the freeze up, is it like right after bootup?

or when you like turn on a game or some shit, need more info.
Do you know how to boot up in Safemode and check your Event Viewer to see what's critically failing? Are you getting a grey/blue screen or is it just hardlocking?

Checked your CPU fan and heatsink to ensure they're properly seated? Shit, I would make sure everything was seated/connected properly (all cables/power rails/RAM).

Don't get that monitor. A 32" at 1080p sounds gross... but I guess I've just gotten used to 4K.

The freeze seems to happen randomly between 10-30 min after a reboot. It's a hard freeze where the system locks up none of the programs respond and the mouse and keyboard will not input any longer. There is no BSOD.

Memory wise I ran a the mem diagnostic took and even tried different sticks in different slots on the motherboard to see if they could be the issue. After testing they both seem to be fine.

Hard drives I removed all but the 250g SSD that had windows on it to narrow down that as well made no difference.

Video card I tried moving to a different slot on the board but there is no indication there is any issues with the card

CPU I check to make sure it was seated correctly and there was no issues with the heat sink all cores were running about 40-45 degrees maxing out in the 50's at times so all was good there.

When and how the freeze happens doesn't seem to matter if I load programs or not. Seems to be the exact same if I am running a game or leaving it idle from the start up.