Computer Issues

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I'm definitely with you on Windows and DirectX being the problem. You're going to hate hearing this lol, but with Windows 10 there is no standalone DirectX installation (it's integrated with the OS) so the only thing you can do is either repair or reinstall Windows or fuck around with older drivers and pray that one works.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I hate Windows 10 not you, Alavaz. I thank you for your patience and advice thus far. I'm just frustrated.

Do you have access to, Powershell(Administrator) might be able too help you....(without needing the group policy editor from the Pro upgrade)

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I do. What do I do with it?

Sorry, had to update my script haven't used it sense Win7 hah

Code:
Clear-Host

Write-Host "0 -> Change setting in Windows Update app (default)"
Write-Host "1 -> Never check for updates (not recommended)"
Write-Host "2 -> Notify for download and notify for install"
Write-Host "3 -> Auto download and notify for install"
Write-Host "4 -> Auto download and schedule the install"

Write-Host "Enter any character to exit"
Write-Host
switch(Read-Host "Choose Window Update Settings"){
       0 {$UpdateValue = 0}
       1 {$UpdateValue = 1}
       2 {$UpdateValue = 2}
       3 {$UpdateValue = 3}
       4 {$UpdateValue = 4}
       Default{Exit}
}

$WindowsUpdatePath = "HKLM:SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\"
$AutoUpdatePath = "HKLM:SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU"

If(Test-Path -Path $WindowsUpdatePath) {
    Remove-Item -Path $WindowsUpdatePath -Recurse
}

If ($UpdateValue -gt 0) {
    New-Item -Path $WindowsUpdatePath
    New-Item -Path $AutoUpdatePath
}

If ($UpdateValue -eq 1) {
    Set-ItemProperty -Path $AutoUpdatePath -Name NoAutoUpdate -Value 1
}

If ($UpdateValue -eq 2) {
    Set-ItemProperty -Path $AutoUpdatePath -Name NoAutoUpdate -Value 0
    Set-ItemProperty -Path $AutoUpdatePath -Name AUOptions -Value 2
    Set-ItemProperty -Path $AutoUpdatePath -Name ScheduledInstallDay -Value 0
    Set-ItemProperty -Path $AutoUpdatePath -Name ScheduledInstallTime -Value 3
}

If ($UpdateValue -eq 3) {
    Set-ItemProperty -Path $AutoUpdatePath -Name AUOptions -Value 3
}

If ($UpdateValue -eq 4) {
    Set-ItemProperty -Path $AutoUpdatePath -Name AUOptions -Value 4
}

Save this as a file_name.ps1 run it via Powershell(make sure you are in adminstration mode)should be able to disable WIndowsAutoUpdate

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Okay you guys were right, I'm not the Admin.

gMrbPkN.jpg

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Right click powershell > run as admin. It won't start with elevated privs regardless of what your account has by default.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Is this a computer you built ? or a HP/Dell/some other rape artists computer ?(it does matter when it comes to Admin access, sense some of them lock off full admin control, via WIM)

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Is this a computer you built ? or a HP/Dell/some other rape artists computer ?(it does matter when it comes to Admin access, sense some of them lock off full admin control, via WIM)

It is a frankensteined Gateway I bought maybe 5 years ago. It started with Windows 7. It came as a pre-built package but I've upgraded stuff since then.

Right click powershell > run as admin. It won't start with elevated privs regardless of what your account has by default.

Excellent. This allowed me to run Folanlron's script which gave me this result. Am i good?

0C1vr3v.jpg

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Soo this means, that DirectX and Nvidia's drivers can not currently "find" the Video Card to inject its' code into(Specifically CUDA/DX commands, what that error means)

I'm kinda at a lost, without actually seeing the computer...

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I found some thread where people are saying that lowering resolution (can raise it back after a successful launch) and/or switching from a DVI to HDMI cable has solved the issue. I see a lot of examples of people having this problem with a DVI cable and swapping to HDMI or DP is fixing it.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Gauntlet time,

What does Device Manager say, about "Display Adapters" ...

Sense you said, that the problem has slowly been creeping into other games, I have a strange feeling that your power supply is not providing enough juice to the 12v rail for your video card, PCI-Express provides enough power to put the card into a basic mode, but not enough for the full chip..

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i think i want to downgrade my Windows 10 laptop to Windows 7. where's good to buy product keys for Windows 7?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Regarding the hard freezes we were discussing a while back, I think I actually fixed my issue. I was combing through freeze threads on tom's hardware for the thousandth time and came across one where the dude's symptoms matched mine and he was able to fix it by upping the RAM voltage in the BIOS. I figured I had nothing to lose so I upped it from the default 1.5v to 1.525 and I'll be fucked, it hasn't froze at all since then.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Gauntlet time,

What does Device Manager say, about "Display Adapters" ...

Sense you said, that the problem has slowly been creeping into other games, I have a strange feeling that your power supply is not providing enough juice to the 12v rail for your video card, PCI-Express provides enough power to put the card into a basic mode, but not enough for the full chip..

It says This device is working properly. Was there a specific detail you were looking for on this screen?

And I don't think it was a gradual creep. I think it was a sudden update from somewhere that caused this error to happen to several games at once.