Computer Issues

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Tried switching monitor cables or messing with resolution yet? I see a lot of people saying it solved that specific error:

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You could try restoring if you have restore points enabled. It would be quicker than a rebuild and you wouldn't lose your settings/favorites.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Jesus just reinstall Windows man, it takes like 15 minutes these days.

Once I finally started putting windows on it's own drive with little else, it made life so much easier.

Windows is the problem.... I think.

Nuke it from orbit.jpg

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
My windows button suddenly stopped working. Googled it. Tried some powershell crap. Didn't work. Another solution was to do sfc /scannow in cmd but this POS 10 just will not let me run cmd in admin mode. I tried right clicking cmd prompt but the drop down menu INSTANTLY disappears like the system is actively fighting me from running cmd in admin mode. So now I can't run cmd prompt as an admin to try to scan the system. Any ideas how the fuck I can get my windows button working again?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Open a regular cmd window, then type 'runas /netonly /user:<username> cmd' replace <username> with your admin user (or just your name if you are the admin) it will prompt for password and then give you an admin prompt. Then you should be able to do sfc /scannow.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My windows button suddenly stopped working. Googled it. Tried some powershell crap. Didn't work. Another solution was to do sfc /scannow in cmd but this POS 10 just will not let me run cmd in admin mode. I tried right clicking cmd prompt but the drop down menu INSTANTLY disappears like the system is actively fighting me from running cmd in admin mode. So now I can't run cmd prompt as an admin to try to scan the system. Any ideas how the fuck I can get my windows button working again?

Might sound silly, but is one of your keyboard keys sticking? Esc key or the like.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
does ctrl+esc still work as windows key for win 10?

Oldbased

> Than U
Windows pushed some sort of content and app patch this last week and it really fucked me up somewhat. It would download, patch, reboot, configure, reboot, load, reboot, restore to previous version and repeat every 20 minutes. After 10 times I delayed installing it again for like 2 weeks on the reminder.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Nantucket is a game that was released yesterday on Steam. This is what I get when I try to play it:

zg3lZaD.jpg

I have a strange feeling your registry is fucked, from Microsoft's new shittatstic updater I know how to fix it in 7 but I'm not touching 10's registry, ever.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jeydax

Death and Taxes

Little late here but some keyboards have a "gaming mode" or "xyz mode" that disables the Windows key. I know the Logitech G710 has one and I've bumped it a few times.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Latest Windows Insider build is fun on my system. I can't seem to boot, just repeats post over and over, unless I boot to a recovery USB and then exit it and start Windows and then it starts fine.

I'll have to try the win10 equivalent of fdisk /mbr or something and then roll back to a prior version if a new one isn't out soon.

Oldbased

> Than U
So a few months back I added Spectrum TV to my services. I was getting 65 mbs internet on speedtests up until the day of that install.
After they installed the TV boxes and before they left, I ran a speedtest. 11mbs. The guy said he did nothing to do the line and not his fault. He called into tech and they said when they activated the ticket they set my netgear as the phone modem and he switched it over. Wifi started working again but no change to speeds. They then said my modem wasn't compatible with Spectrum although it was with TWC and had been fine.
He left. Months pass, I get a new modem/router with much more channels and compatible with Spectrum. Internet speeds exactly same. 11-13mbs. I am supposed to be getting 100 atm in the package I am in and the modem is capable of over 900.
What is odd is wifi is faster than direct connected but even wifi is only about 40mbs right at the modem/router.

They got a guy coming Friday morning. Looking for ideas of what to force him to check as the shit worked before fine before them and even upgrading to a newer better combo didn't do shit.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
They probably changed a splitter outside where the wires come in and it's not really compatible, that's my wild ass guess.

I'm talking out of my ass though.

The tech should be able to test from various points on the line to see if there are errors and what the speed is at different points. I'd just tell him the history of your speed, and hopefully he's intelligent enough to figure out what they might have done. Realistically he should test the line at your modem, and coming into the house, and see what it looks like.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So a few months back I added Spectrum TV to my services. I was getting 65 mbs internet on speedtests up until the day of that install.
After they installed the TV boxes and before they left, I ran a speedtest. 11mbs. The guy said he did nothing to do the line and not his fault. He called into tech and they said when they activated the ticket they set my netgear as the phone modem and he switched it over. Wifi started working again but no change to speeds. They then said my modem wasn't compatible with Spectrum although it was with TWC and had been fine.
He left. Months pass, I get a new modem/router with much more channels and compatible with Spectrum. Internet speeds exactly same. 11-13mbs. I am supposed to be getting 100 atm in the package I am in and the modem is capable of over 900.
What is odd is wifi is faster than direct connected but even wifi is only about 40mbs right at the modem/router.

They got a guy coming Friday morning. Looking for ideas of what to force him to check as the shit worked before fine before them and even upgrading to a newer better combo didn't do shit.

Plug a computer direct in to the modem and power cycle it so it gives your IP to that computer and run a test from there. If it's still shit speeds then you're boned and they need to fix their lines someplace. If you wanna get real fancy go outside to your cable box and disconnect the feed going in to your house from whatever splitters its on and connect that coax to your modem and test again, if that fixes your speed then they have a shitty splitter someplace like slippery said. If it doesn't then it's their line going to your house and they need to fix their shit.

Oldbased

> Than U
Plug a computer direct in to the modem and power cycle it so it gives your IP to that computer and run a test from there. If it's still shit speeds then you're boned and they need to fix their lines someplace. If you wanna get real fancy go outside to your cable box and disconnect the feed going in to your house from whatever splitters its on and connect that coax to your modem and test again, if that fixes your speed then they have a shitty splitter someplace like slippery said. If it doesn't then it's their line going to your house and they need to fix their shit.
They came and ran all sorts of tests and found one issue with feedback from one connection in the living room that made no real difference.
My I had reset ipv4 and ipv6 last night and flushed dns and network reset( new windows 10 feature) and got it up to 50mbs on the direct connection and everything wireless. The 5ghz wireless which only one device I own is capable of( new Fire tablet ) hits 115 mbs. Turns out Spectrum is lying to people when they tell them they are getting 100 mbs + connections You get 50 and 100 on 5ghz wifi. Which wired pcs and most wireless

Now I have a new issues I am working through. The new modem/router is nice but when I view say the political forum here now in the past 2 days, all linked tweets say that the connection was reset. If I refresh the page 2-10 times they load eventually.
Oh well, at least the range seems better and everything else appears in good working order now.