Computer Issues

Fadaar

That guy
Is it possible to use a DVI only (Korean IPS I bought like 5 or 6 years ago) monitor with a video card that only has DP/HDMI? I bought a converter cable and the monitor doesn't seem to like it.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
Maybe someone can explain to me what's going on with a flash drive/usb port.

I have 2 front USB 3.1 ports on my case. When I plug my 128 GB USB 3.0 flash drive into the port on the right, it does nothing. When I plug it into the port on the left, it comes up as a flash drive. When I plug -anything- else into the port on the right, including other flash drives, they work fine. This particular flash drive was working with the right port yesterday, but today it does nothing. So I'm at a loss as to what is happening. The flash drive itself is working fine in any port other than the right port, and the right port is working fine with everything except this 1 particular flash drive. Gurus of tech, help me out

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Plug a computer direct in to the modem and power cycle it so it gives your IP to that computer and run a test from there. If it's still shit speeds then you're boned and they need to fix their lines someplace. If you wanna get real fancy go outside to your cable box and disconnect the feed going in to your house from whatever splitters its on and connect that coax to your modem and test again, if that fixes your speed then they have a shitty splitter someplace like slippery said. If it doesn't then it's their line going to your house and they need to fix their shit.

I have Spectrum and get my full 300/100 (actually more like 330+/125+). Take a picture of how your cables are plugged in to the back of the router, and label which is which.

Is it possible to use a DVI only (Korean IPS I bought like 5 or 6 years ago) monitor with a video card that only has DP/HDMI? I bought a converter cable and the monitor doesn't seem to like it.

Depending on the resolution, you may need to use a dp-dvi adapter (4K if you want 60hz, Hdmi caps at 30hz), but yes, there are adapters from both dp and Hdmi to DVI.

Fadaar

That guy
So I need an adapter and not just a cable with DVI on one end and DP on the other? Ugh. Think I might just use this as an excuse to upgrade monitors 2 and 3 and move this old IPS to my secondary box.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
So I need an adapter and not just a cable with DVI on one end and DP on the other? Ugh. Think I might just use this as an excuse to upgrade monitors 2 and 3 and move this old IPS to my secondary box.

Nah, just a converter. Not a special powered adapter or anything like that.

Oldbased

> Than U
I have Spectrum and get my full 300/100 (actually more like 330+/125+). Take a picture of how your cables are plugged in to the back of the router, and label which is which.

Depending on the resolution, you may need to use a dp-dvi adapter (4K if you want 60hz, Hdmi caps at 30hz), but yes, there are adapters from both dp and Hdmi to DVI.
https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-C630...?ie=UTF8&qid=1520070084&sr=8-3&keywords=c6300
Is the modem/router I got.
Cables no need for picture. It has power, coax and 1 ethernet cable to pc. Everything else in house is wireless.
Keep in mind that because it is Spectrum now doesn't mean it is the same everywhere. Most of the systems in our area are still coming back as Time Warner from the buyout. I am getting exactly the same as my old modem/router but with this new issue. The only advantage atm is newer, 5ghz dual broadcasting and the signal/range is better.

Been fucking around with it all night. Still 50s on PC and 2.4ghz and hitting 115 constantly on the 5ghz.
The only issue I've encountered outside that is instagram/twitter links on this forum ( and only this forum so far that I've noticed ) I get the connection was reset on Chrome and something like opps that didn't load on MS Edge/IE It does it on every browser I've tested I've reset to default the network adapter( windows 10 feature added to restore all settings ), flushed, set mtu on router/pc to match at 1472 which is what I came up with using ping to get non fragmented packet size, and shut off virus/firewall programs one by one to ensure that isn't the issue. If I refresh a ton they do load and once loaded will load for that page every time. It's almost like it isn't allowing enough time to load before it gives up and moves on. It is annoying as shit though.

I agree on 2.4ghz supporting 100+. It did BEFORE the change over a few months ago no problem back when I had 300 mbs service given to me as a promotion for awhile and even though my old modem/router wasn't able to do 300 mbs I was hitting near 200mbs with my old CG3000 during that time period.

Sort of pissed off about it all. I didn't buy through Amazon and I paid for super shipping through a place I had credit so if I send it back I am out $40 and back to my old modem/router which had about the same speeds but no 5ghz which doesn't mean jack shit to me right now since all our shit minus 1 tablet is dated enough to not be able to use it.

We don't need the speed anyways, anything 30+ is plenty for the both of us as that is enough to stream anything HD and game/browse. It's just the fact we are paying for it and not getting it. If streaming services like direct tv now and amazon fire had DVR function such as pause, rewind, record and shit we would just cut the cable anyways and just have internet. We may go back to Dish or Direct TV anyways. Spectrum is fucking ISIS when it comes to channels, you have to buy into the top tier plan to get any good channels and while they only charge $20 x2 for the 2 tiers to the top the base amount they charge is straight into Syria level bullshit.

His excuse was my PC was dated and when I brought up that the 2.4ghz was matching pc direct speed his retort was that the 5ghz hits the speed. My motherboard is a bit old now, but it is still ddr3 with a 4th gen i5 cpu and a Nv 9700 video card. Lots of people seem to be having issues with killer ethernet though and windows 10. I think mine is the E2200 Killer Networking. It is a Z97X Gaming 5 Gigabyte.

Last edited:

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"Dated PC" excuse for slow broadband means nothing with a NIC card made in the last decade or so. Your tech is a moron.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Oh Jesus, Killer NIC's. Fuck those things. Delete the Killer application if you haven't, that shit messes with things and the default windows driver runs fine. I had to toss my 2200 because of compatibility issues with Spectrum/TWC.

Also, 5ghz has half the range of 2.4ghz, new router probably has a much more powerful antenna. Benefit is less interference since microwaves and so much other shit operates at 2.4.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Maybe someone can explain to me what's going on with a flash drive/usb port.

I have 2 front USB 3.1 ports on my case. When I plug my 128 GB USB 3.0 flash drive into the port on the right, it does nothing. When I plug it into the port on the left, it comes up as a flash drive. When I plug -anything- else into the port on the right, including other flash drives, they work fine. This particular flash drive was working with the right port yesterday, but today it does nothing. So I'm at a loss as to what is happening. The flash drive itself is working fine in any port other than the right port, and the right port is working fine with everything except this 1 particular flash drive. Gurus of tech, help me out

Unplug your USB stuff then Open device manager, (Windows key + r, then type devmgmt.msc) and set it to show hidden devices from the menu at the top. Then expand your USB controller and delete all of the grayed out devices. Then plug your drive back in and see if it comes up.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Does anyone else have issues with ghost applications in their Windows 10 start menu search?

On every PC I have running Windows 10 I have bogus entries in the start menu search for applications that have been uninstalled or upgraded. If the application has been upgraded the search will not find the actual application only the unusable ghost.

phantom.png

Last edited:

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Recently something happened to my PC that caused both my motherboard and CPU to die simultaneously. They are both in RMA now and in the meantime I have gotten a new mobo and CPU to use, which I will be returning when my repaired product comes in (God bless Fry's).

However, I'm having extremely consistent packet loss that is preventing me from playing games. My temporary CPU is the same model as my old one but my mobo is completely different, so I suspect my new mobo is the culprit. Unfortunately I know next to nothing about networking so I have no idea how to fix this issue. If anyone could provide some help, I'd really appreciate it. Here's my system specs:

Mobo: ASRock Z170M-ITX/ac
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.0 GHz
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200
GPU: EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080
PSU: Corsair CS550M

Here's a ping plotter graph showing my problems (pinging the Final Fantasy XIV North American datacenter lobby):

53f97ba139.png

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
That's generally going to be an ISP problem, and not yours. Have you tried restarting your modem router?

The reality is you're going to need to call if that doesn't work, and you're going to have a shitty time getting the to understand what the problem is and that it needs to be fixed.

At least imo. There could be some hiccups with network drivers as well

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
That's generally going to be an ISP problem, and not yours. Have you tried restarting your modem router?

The reality is you're going to need to call if that doesn't work, and you're going to have a shitty time getting the to understand what the problem is and that it needs to be fixed.

At least imo. There could be some hiccups with network drivers as well

Interesting. I want to believe that it has to do with my temporary motherboard because the problem only started happening once I installed it. Also, all my other devices (phone, PS4, laptop) do not have this problem - just my desktop PC.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
In that case it's likely network drivers. I would definitely restart modem/router as well.

Also there could be other problems you don't realize, you might have had a power surge and something else got impacted by it.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Tried uninstalling and reinstalling my network driver and restarting the router, no dice. Regarding a power surge, I have my PC plugged into a surge protector so I dunno if that makes a difference. Could it be that my Wifi card isn't getting enough power? (It's a PCI card.)