Computer Issues

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I've had a single great experience w/ EVGA, RMA'd a card, they shipped me a new one before I even sent the bad one back. Something Zappos would do, who I worked for at the time.

re: my problem I posted on the prior page... corrupt BIOS, yay for having 2 BIOS on the motherboard. I never knew that was a thing until I needed it.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I have 2 bios as well. Yay gigabyte boards.

I suspect based on google detective work it's just a defective gpu. Was just a little pissed off at the runaround and needed to vent.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
MSI Afterburner is pretty handy software for monitoring GPU temps and setting custom fan curves etc, if you want to go that route.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I use it. And core temp for my CPU.

That's why I knew it wasn't coming close to overheating and it was getting plenty of power :/. I'm good now with MSIs version of the 970. Nice card.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
Apparently the latest Windows 7 Update is shitting up a lot of PCs.. just a fair warning. I updated last night and now my computer can't get past the startup screen. I get the blue welcome screen that continually flashes black and blue. Safe mode does the exact same thing. Apparently this affects Win 7 PCs with any sort of touch screen or tablet functionality

I have no idea what to do except wait for MS to fix their shit.. *sigh*

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Do you have 'use small taskbar buttons' unchecked when you right click properties on the taskbar? Other than that I don't know.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
I have a software issue and it's driving me crazy. Windows Xp, up to date version of Firefox. Up to date adobe flash player. Yet, when I go toYouTube, and i click on the freaking icon to set video quality, I can only choose auto and 360p, no higher resolutions options on that list. On Chrome, it works as it should, but I dont want to use Chrome. Any ideas ?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Clear the cache and cookies only from websites that cause problems.

"Clear the Cache":

Firefox/Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Cached Web Content: "Clear Now"
"Remove Cookies" from sites causing problems:

Firefox/Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies: "Show Cookies"

or

logout of youtube account (to reset cookies)

or

Type about:config in address bar. It will give a warning,click on button that says "I'll be careful,I promise!". Paste this in search bar of about config.

media.mediasource.enabled

and double click on the entry showed to make it true and bold. Now html5 videos will show all resolutions. If this causes any problem,double click on the entry again to make it false. Make sure you are in html trial and flash is disabled on youtube.com

or

YouTube High Definition :: Add-ons for Firefox

or
YouTube ALL HTML5 :: Add-ons for Firefox

html5 instead of adobe flash

my bet is on the last option, just don't use flash, that extension should force html5

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
So a crazy IT question for whomever may be in the know. Does anyone know of a way in Group Policy to prevent the administrator account from being saved as the "last logged in" account name? It seems like such a simple straight forward thing that should be built into a Windows domain by default, but is not there as far as I can tell.

I'm heading to a town hall my company does the onsite IT for while they are closed today. When I log in as administrator it will inevitably lead to 10 calls on Monday asking why they can't login, because the users don't notice its not their login name, or they dont know what they login name is. (/boggle)

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So a crazy IT question for whomever may be in the know. Does anyone know of a way in Group Policy to prevent the administrator account from being saved as the "last logged in" account name? It seems like such a simple straight forward thing that should be built into a Windows domain by default, but is not there as far as I can tell.

I'm heading to a town hall my company does the onsite IT for while they are closed today. When I log in as administrator it will inevitably lead to 10 calls on Monday asking why they can't login, because the users don't notice its not their login name, or they dont know what they login name is. (/boggle)
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/310125

This was for Windows 2000 but I doubt that they removed it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/324740

The 2003 looks pretty similar.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
The 2003 version still works, yes. We use this at work.

It isn't specific to the Administrator account, of course. They'll have to enter their user name every time. So, the calls may still come in, just for a different reason.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
yeah i found that, I was hunting a for a way to flag specific accounts (our back end administrator accounts) to not be saved. I guarantee users would bitch if they had to type in their username everyday.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
You could always do a logon script that preserves the previous name if you're logging in as Administrator, and a logoff script that puts it back when you're done. Not too hard and doable via GPO (or GPP for that matter).

Edit: If you don't know how to do this, I can write a GPO that'll do it and export it for you.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
You could always do a logon script that preserves the previous name if you're logging in as Administrator, and a logoff script that puts it back when you're done. Not too hard and doable via GPO (or GPP for that matter).

Edit: If you don't know how to do this, I can write a GPO that'll do it and export it for you.
I'll do some research into that. I don't want you to just give me script... yet. Gotta learn to fish and such and such.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yep, I get that. If you're stuck and you want any pointers, feel free to PM me.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
yeah i found that, I was hunting a for a way to flag specific accounts (our back end administrator accounts) to not be saved. I guarantee users would bitch if they had to type in their username everyday.
Fuck them. We went the same way at work (no saved users names on log in) and people complained for a while. It's only bothersome to people that log out completely often, otherwise it's not that often.

MossyBank

N00b
If anyone has any experience with routers, maybe someone can help me out. So I upgraded my ISP package to 100mb/s down, but needed a new router to replace my aging one to get all the speed from the upgrade. I ended up buying a Netgear Nighthawk ac1900 R7000, and now I get the full speed, but i've been having random disconnects which really interrupt gaming. The internet goes down completely for about 5 seconds, then it comes back online and everything is well. It seems to happen randomly, once in 3 hours, twice in 15 minutes, none for 6+ hours.. etc, but seems to happen about 3-5 times a day atm. I'm unsure if it's effecting wi-fi as well, but it definitely effecting the WAN.

First thing I did was get rid of the shitty netgear firmware, and flashed the router to open source DD-WRT.. but i'm still getting the random disconnects. Did a shitload of googling around, and i've tried all kinds of different router settings based on suggestions i've read around the net. Seems that i'm not the only one suffering from this problem with this particular router model. Does anyone own this router? Is it a hardware issue? Or is there some magical router setting combination that will fix the problem? At this point gaming is way to frustrating with a problem like this, randomly getting kicked out of whatever you are playing online is not fun.