Computer Issues

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
When they upgraded your router did they upgrade your modem? Are you using a DOCSIS 3.0 modem? How's the wiring in your house?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Possibly a niche question. Anyone have experience installing Win7 from a clean disk with the upgrade-only key & disk? It says online all I really need to do is not register during the install time and then manually install it at the desktop. Anyone have first hand experience? I really don't want to dig out my Vista disks just to install 7 overtop it.

-edit-

In case anyone's wondering the top result on google asking to do this says exactly what to do. I had to install their .bat to modify my registry to let me register my upgrade copy on a full install.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
If anyone has any experience with routers, maybe someone can help me out. So I upgraded my ISP package to 100mb/s down, but needed a new router to replace my aging one to get all the speed from the upgrade. I ended up buying a Netgear Nighthawk ac1900 R7000, and now I get the full speed, but i've been having random disconnects which really interrupt gaming. The internet goes down completely for about 5 seconds, then it comes back online and everything is well. It seems to happen randomly, once in 3 hours, twice in 15 minutes, none for 6+ hours.. etc, but seems to happen about 3-5 times a day atm. I'm unsure if it's effecting wi-fi as well, but it definitely effecting the WAN.

First thing I did was get rid of the shitty netgear firmware, and flashed the router to open source DD-WRT.. but i'm still getting the random disconnects. Did a shitload of googling around, and i've tried all kinds of different router settings based on suggestions i've read around the net. Seems that i'm not the only one suffering from this problem with this particular router model. Does anyone own this router? Is it a hardware issue? Or is there some magical router setting combination that will fix the problem? At this point gaming is way to frustrating with a problem like this, randomly getting kicked out of whatever you are playing online is not fun.
I've had issues with my connection speeds going up and down. I had a tech come out and it turns out the guy that setup the equipment tightened the coax wires by hand which was good enough but apparently the door that opens and closes near my modem (mounted on a wall) vibrates the wall enough to make the cable slightly loosen over time. The guy that came out tightened all of the cables with a wrench to make them locked into place and I've never had a problem since.

Basically use a wrench to tighten all of your coax wires everywhere from the modem to the outside, at the modem, at the wall, and any junction boxes.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Has anyone had an issue with Windows 10 that it corrupts your ethernet drivers not letting you connect to the internet? I upgraded for free from Windows 7 to 10 and a month later I had no connection to my gaming PC. Tried various fixes and none of them working. So I had to go back to Windows 7 in order for it to work. Any solution to this?

MossyBank

N00b
Yeah i've gone around the house and tightened up all the wires, replaced a few older ethernet cables just in case. The ethernet cable that plugs into my computer was a bit loose too, and the clip on it broke off awhile ago so it was kinda sliding in there. Although I never had problems like this with the old router... maybe the new one is more sensitive or something? Anyway, no disconnects so far, but it's such a random problem to diagnose.. we'll see, but things do seem better already.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Has anyone had an issue with Windows 10 that it corrupts your ethernet drivers not letting you connect to the internet? I upgraded for free from Windows 7 to 10 and a month later I had no connection to my gaming PC. Tried various fixes and none of them working. So I had to go back to Windows 7 in order for it to work. Any solution to this?
Negative, my upgraded PC from 8>10 had no network driver issues. May be specific to your nic? Manufacturer have any 10 supported drivers out to try a clean install with?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hmm so any guesses. I got a new Mobo(for skylake). Had to do a fresh windows 10 install on SSD(wont get into that).

Problem: I download windows 10 driver for sound card(X-fi Xtreme gamer). And getting tons of static anytime a audio is played(windows test sounds, music, movies etc). No static at all w/ onboard sound. Do I just need to get another sound card? I mainly use one as I like the surround options they give even though I only wear headphones.

I've cleaned the jacks, reseated the card, checked plugs, disabled all the other audo devices/mics, no mic in jack, no other volumes turned up etc.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Hmm so any guesses. I got a new Mobo(for skylake). Had to do a fresh windows 10 install on SSD(wont get into that).

Problem: I download windows 10 driver for sound card(X-fi Xtreme gamer). And getting tons of static anytime a audio is played(windows test sounds, music, movies etc). No static at all w/ onboard sound. Do I just need to get another sound card? I mainly use one as I like the surround options they give even though I only wear headphones.

I've cleaned the jacks, reseated the card, checked plugs, disabled all the other audo devices/mics, no mic in jack, no other volumes turned up etc.
move card to a different slot
everything is all "singled" out? huh, no line in, and crap

also try in SB panel creative/gamer/entertaintment mode switch

I also have a xfi as well..., i think i have something in my notes...

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hmm no way I can move to different slot. The only other PCI(just plain PCI as its(the soundcard) not PCI-E) is right next to the PCI-E x16 slot where my GPU is, and GPU covers the entire slot up. ;P

Yeah I turned all the Line in , Mic, SPDIF, Midi etc to 0 in the Levels tab.

Will try the other modes I guess, it was on gamer entire time.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yep.

Not too bad, the onboard audio is pretty good. Probably just buy another card, they are pretty cheap.

The fact that the box in came in says "works with windows vista", shows how long I've had it.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Does that have multiple outs? I'm probably going to get it, but I'd really like something that I can plug speakers into as well as my gaming headset.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
So, I bought a new monitor to use at the office. A Benq GW2765. It's being driven by an old Geforce 460. When I first fired it up, they were connected with an old VGA cable. Sure enough, I couldn't set resolution to anything past 1920x1080. So then I tried a DVI cable I had laying around. Most likely not a dual link, as it's missing a bunch of pins. Still won't go past 1080p. So then I found a mini-HDMI cable to plug in to the 460, thinking that would solve the problem. Nope, still only 1080p. Decided to do run a driver cleaner to see if that would help. Nope.

What the shit? What cable do I have to run for 2560x1440? The 460 only has 2xDVI and 1xmini-HDMI. Is it just as simple as finding a good dual link DVI cable? Or do I have to go Displayport?

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
A dual link dvi cable should do it.

DVI-dual-link-vs-single-link.jpg

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
Okay, so I was given a lenovo yoga 2 13 laptop cause my brother upgraded to a newer laptop a while back. He was having issues with this one and was not sure if it even works anymore.

It had no charger so i bought one on amazon. Charger got here and it is still not turning on, not even the little LED light that shows it is charging.

I looked online and changing the battery does not seem like it would be very difficult. but the charger only cost like 12$. The charger is ice cold after being plugged in a while, and I'm worried that the charger itself might not even be working.

Should I just assume the battery is fucked and install a new one. or is there some other steps I should take first? (Like trying another charger)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The laptop would turn on with a charger and no battery, so although we can't say for sure the battery is not dead you should still be able to use it.

Does the charger have an indication LED on it that shows it's receiving power from the outlet?