Computer Issues

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So Windows 10 still detects and installs a driver for my motherboards onboard video, even though I've disabled it in the bios. Why would that happen? I've disabled that device in Windows, so will that mean nothing will try to use it?

Just curious since I've been trying a few things to get Monster Hunter World/Iceborne to use my GPU instead of 90%+ of my CPU. While trying to install some old drivers, I had to use a utility called Display Driver Uninstaller, and that program showed both the onboard and my 1060, with the onboard being labled at device 0, with the 1060 being device 1. Yet in device manager, it shows the 1060 as device 0, and the onboard as device 2.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
So Windows 10 still detects and installs a driver for my motherboards onboard video, even though I've disabled it in the bios. Why would that happen? I've disabled that device in Windows, so will that mean nothing will try to use it?

Just curious since I've been trying a few things to get Monster Hunter World/Iceborne to use my GPU instead of 90%+ of my CPU. While trying to install some old drivers, I had to use a utility called Display Driver Uninstaller, and that program showed both the onboard and my 1060, with the onboard being labled at device 0, with the 1060 being device 1. Yet in device manager, it shows the 1060 as device 0, and the onboard as device 2.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
After I refreshed Windows 10. I get an error upon booting up that it cant' find Dropbox. I assumed that it would delete this when refreshing it because it sure isn't installed anymore. I guess I'll have to go dig around for registry entries for the damn thing. Kind of annoying.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
That's the thing lol. It ISN'T installed but I am still getting prompts for it.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It made sense for him at the time to see if it fixed the monitor problem. A lot less work just to test something instead of needing to carefully ensure everything is backed up.

Argarth

On the verandah
It made sense for him at the time to see if it fixed the monitor problem. A lot less work just to test something instead of needing to carefully ensure everything is backed up.

TJT TJT

What WAS the solution to your monitor problem in the end? Don't think you spelled it out in this thread, kinda interested.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Refreshed Windows 10 and bought a new monitor. The DP port was 100% dead. Confirmed by use on multiple other PCs, There was also some software issue too so it just kind of sucked.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Has anyone ever cloned a harddrive before and was it easy or difficult? Trying to upgrade my in laws computer from a mechanical to a SSD hard drive. They really dont want to do a fresh install so I was thinking of transferring all the data and windows OS from the old one to a new one. What software is the best for this and how reliable is it?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Has anyone ever cloned a harddrive before and was it easy or difficult? Trying to upgrade my in laws computer from a mechanical to a SSD hard drive. They really dont want to do a fresh install so I was thinking of transferring all the data and windows OS from the old one to a new one. What software is the best for this and how reliable is it?

I was always told that you shouldn't clone the OS drive when moving from HDD to SSD. Don't know if operating systems handle it better nowadays.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
a while ago i tried w/ software, didn't workout well, it only succeeded when i did used Sabrent USB 3.0 to SATA Dual Bay External Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5 or 3.5in HDD, SSD with Hard Drive Duplicator/Cloner Function [10TB Support] (EC-DSK2)

i had a lot of legacy programs on that computer tho, no idea why you wouldn't want to fresh install otherwise.

Slithum

Nil Satis, Nisi Optimum

its super easy i just cloned my mom's computer hard drive to an 1tb WD blue ssd works perfectly fine.
If you get a WD ssd you can use Acronis True Image WD Edition Software
also I have just used Macrium Reflect on my wife's laptop also worked fine just make sure you get the free edition of Macrium.

both took like 30 minutes tops.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Every Samsung SSD I have ever installed for my family I cloned the boot drives using their software with zero issues.

If you're still using the old HDD make sure to change the boot sequence so it runs off the SSD though.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I've only used forensic duplicators, and was never really impressed with the result. I've recently converted to the "reimage the base OS" crowd though.

jeffvader

it's only castles burning
i've always run one of my video card hdmi outputs to my onkyo reciever into my tv for streaming youtube, music, etc. through my 5.1 speakers but i haven't had a gpu for a couple years due to my last one dying and me not having enough time to game.

i recently upgraded to an evga 2070 super and an lg27GL850. the display is working great with display port but when i plug in my hdmi, it doesn't detect my onkyo/tv. this is the first time this has happened. i ordered a new hdmi cable (25 foot) in case that's the issue but is there anything else i can try? i tried the force detect in nvidea cp and that didn't do anything. from reading up it sounds like it may be an issue with the different resolutions? thanks in advance.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
i've always run one of my video card hdmi outputs to my onkyo reciever into my tv for streaming youtube, music, etc. through my 5.1 speakers but i haven't had a gpu for a couple years due to my last one dying and me not having enough time to game.

i recently upgraded to an evga 2070 super and an lg27GL850. the display is working great with display port but when i plug in my hdmi, it doesn't detect my onkyo/tv. this is the first time this has happened. i ordered a new hdmi cable (25 foot) in case that's the issue but is there anything else i can try? i tried the force detect in nvidea cp and that didn't do anything. from reading up it sounds like it may be an issue with the different resolutions? thanks in advance.

What is the model of the Onkyo and what is the TV? Do you get any output when plugging the HDMI directly into the TV? How about if you set the monitor resolution to 1080p then connect to the receiver? Is the PC Windows 10?