Computer Issues

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
i've always run one of my video card hdmi outputs to my onkyo reciever into my tv for streaming youtube, music, etc. through my 5.1 speakers but i haven't had a gpu for a couple years due to my last one dying and me not having enough time to game.

i recently upgraded to an evga 2070 super and an lg27GL850. the display is working great with display port but when i plug in my hdmi, it doesn't detect my onkyo/tv. this is the first time this has happened. i ordered a new hdmi cable (25 foot) in case that's the issue but is there anything else i can try? i tried the force detect in nvidea cp and that didn't do anything. from reading up it sounds like it may be an issue with the different resolutions? thanks in advance.
Setup dual monitor in Nvidia control panel. Then you will get sound to receiver. That's what I had to do. I have hdmi that goes to TV then another hdmi that goes to receiver but in order to get the sound it has to be setup as dual monitor

jeffvader

it's only castles burning
What is the model of the Onkyo and what is the TV? Do you get any output when plugging the HDMI directly into the TV? How about if you set the monitor resolution to 1080p then connect to the receiver? Is the PC Windows 10?
i'm not home right now but the onkyo is old - maybe 15 years - but still works great. tv is a pioneer monitor (141, i think?). if i plug it in direct i wouldn't be able to use my speakers but i'll see if it works anyway. pc is win 10, yes. i'll try setting monitor resolution to 1080p, i didn't know that was possible with a 2k monitor but i'll figure it out, thanks for the ideas!

jeffvader

Setup dual monitor in Nvidia control panel. Then you will get sound to receiver. That's what I had to do. I have hdmi that goes to TV then another hdmi that goes to receiver but in order to get the sound it has to be setup as dual monitor
i've never had to do that before but there's only one hdmi output on the card. i would be happy to have audio only as i mostly use it for music anyway but it isn't identifying the receiver. it's not possible to set it up if it doesn't detect it, right? thanks for the reply.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
i'v enever had to do that before but there's nly one hdmi output on the card. i would be happy to have audio only as i mostly use it for music anyway but it isn't identifying the reciever. it's not possible to set it up if it doesn't detect it, right? thanks for the reply.
Get a display port to hdmi cable for the audio. My card has 3 display port and 1 hdmi so that was another thing I had to do. Also in Nvidia control panel make sure audio is turned on for each device cinnected

jeffvader

update: it was the hdmi cable. plugged in the new one and the receiver showed up right away. now i feel old.

new problem: using the 2070 with the new lg 2k display i'm getting a lot of stuttering and can't even complete the blur busters ufo test. i have a 4770k haswell. could that be the problem? i've never overclocked it so it's at stock 3.5 right now. any suggestions? thank you guys.

Last edited:

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I would be inclined to agree with Dom.

Try nuking your GPU drivers first with DDU.

If that doesn't fix things, I'd probably look at either the GPU itself or possibly the PSU (PSUs that are gradually failing rather than catastrophically failing are like lupus; they cause all sorts of weird, vague shit to happen.)

Ahoy

I am moving. Have lived at this addy since 2004. Have used a fantastic DSL 2 blocks from the junction box. Moving to semi rural place. Only need internet. Do not use wifi. DSL is available via one ISP. Alternative is cable internet via comcast.

Advice? I literally have not thought about internet connections since 2004

3nxawu.jpg

Last edited:

Kiki

Log Wizard
Depends on how close you are to the box. Vdsl is alot different than adsl. Comcast has a shady rep but you may just want to go with whatever is faster.

Argarth

On the verandah
With no other information to go on, I'd go cable over DSL every time.

Same. Some of those copper lines could have been in the ground for a hundred years by now. Caused quite a few problems in Australia when ADSL first became a really big deal, especially in rural/semi-rural areas where people could easily be many klicks from the nearest exchange. (I used to work in Tech Support for our largest ISP at the time)

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
So, I am having an issue with my relatively new computer (6 months old).

I have a Dell Inspiron 5680; with an Intel Core i7-8700 CPU, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 video card, 250GB SSD Hard-drive (which has all my programs and games) and an extra 1TB Disk Hard-drive.

I am getting a random screen lock of about 2-3 seconds, where the screen and mouse freeze. If sound is playing during this time, it slows down and sounds distorted as well. This happens about once to twice a day, at random moments which could be in the middle of a game or just when I am browsing Firefox. There doesn't seem to be an constancy where I could see where it only happening during heavy gaming or such.

I have made sure to update both video and sound drivers plus any other drivers I could think of.

Not sure what it could be that's causing it, since my computer should be more than sufficent to handle what I play: FFXIV, Overwatch, City of Heroes, Path of Exile.

Any ideas?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So, I am having an issue with my relatively new computer (6 months old).

I have a Dell Inspiron 5680; with an Intel Core i7-8700 CPU, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 video card, 250GB SSD Hard-drive (which has all my programs and games) and an extra 1TB Disk Hard-drive.

I am getting a random screen lock of about 2-3 seconds, where the screen and mouse freeze. If sound is playing during this time, it slows down and sounds distorted as well. This happens about once to twice a day, at random moments which could be in the middle of a game or just when I am browsing Firefox. There doesn't seem to be an constancy where I could see where it only happening during heavy gaming or such.

I have made sure to update both video and sound drivers plus any other drivers I could think of.

Not sure what it could be that's causing it, since my computer should be more than sufficent to handle what I play: FFXIV, Overwatch, City of Heroes, Path of Exile.

Any ideas?
you better run antivirus stat
_108617178_gettyimages-1127490587.jpg

sounds like a daily screenshot grab and upload

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Ahoy

I am moving. Have lived at this addy since 2004. Have used a fantastic DSL 2 blocks from the junction box. Moving to semi rural place. Only need internet. Do not use wifi. DSL is available via one ISP. Alternative is cable internet via comcast.

Advice? I literally have not thought about internet connections since 2004

View attachment 247142

Comcast is reliable...as long as it's working. The level one techs and billing reps are all a bunch of lying, script-reading call center-ites from foreign countries, but that's the same for pretty much all the major ISPs. The level twos are usually pretty good if you can actually get your call escalated.

As far as boots on the ground reps go, that varies wildly based on the local franchisee. The Comcast franchise by my parents' home sucked, and my parents hated dealing with them so much that they added me as a delegated representative on the account so that I could be their billy club; the one in the small town that I worked in during my first year in nursing was actually pretty good.

Make sure you read all the fine print before you sign anything with them, and also make sure that you buy your own modem rather than leasing it through them. Also, as an FYI, when you open a new account with them, they will also hard pull your credit unless you give them a deposit.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I would seriously think about a full wipe and reinstall of clean Win10. Not sure about dells and their mo-bo drivers but im sure you could find out and download strait from mfg. Wipe that dell bloatware shit right off there.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user