Computer Issues

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Hmm maybe. The recommendations I saw were all all equal or lower than 750W though and most of the troubleshooting yesterday was minus the SSD / DVD.

Might be worth a test if I can borrow a larger supply from someone. I have a separate supply to supplement it but that doesn't sound like a wise idea.

Ome

Molten Core Raider
Have an issue you guys might be able to help out with. About 2 months ago one of my case fans would start ramping up super fast and eventually the pc would shutdown as in power off. The fan is connected to the motherboard btw. Also heat temps looked fine. Fiddled inside the case disconnecting the fan then reconnecting it. Problem went away until now. Would a faulty fan be the issue or is it something else.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Have an issue you guys might be able to help out with. About 2 months ago one of my case fans would start ramping up super fast and eventually the pc would shutdown as in power off. The fan is connected to the motherboard btw. Also heat temps looked fine. Fiddled inside the case disconnecting the fan then reconnecting it. Problem went away until now. Would a faulty fan be the issue or is it something else.
double check you don't have wonky smartq fan settings

also if you have a modern motherboard, there should be at least 4 sysfan headers, try a different one

Ome

Molten Core Raider
So I just unplugged that particular fan as the pc is water cooled. Still ended up crashing after awhile. Just a complete power off shut down. Could it be a bad power supply?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
If it crashed without temps getting out of hand, a power issue is a possibility. I would definitely try plugging it in to another header if you have one or swap out the fan and see what happens.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So I just unplugged that particular fan as the pc is water cooled. Still ended up crashing after awhile. Just a complete power off shut down. Could it be a bad power supply?
what were you doing? is the just a wc/cpu? how big is the loop? rad /fans

do you have it mounted wrong?, take a pic (do you hear gurgles)

Ome

Molten Core Raider
It will shut down while gaming or just web surfing. Computer is water cooled by a 240mm cheapo brand. Has 2 front fans, 1 rear fan, and a fan on the top of the case which is the fan that ramps up all crazy and the fan which I disconnected. I'm still getting crashes after awhile of pc use. Will grab a pic later today.

Ome

Molten Core Raider
D9BF4778-AB80-44B9-835F-A9EA6DFE9B0D[73].jpeg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Wake Up Man
<Banned>

Fan ramping and system powers off is indicative of a heat issue, maybe reseat CPU/RAM and redo CPU thermal compound? Could be your WC install like posted above. Could be OS/drivers issue, format/reinstall? If that's too much of a pain in the ass, you could test with a decent thumb drive like a cheap ~$12 64GB Samsung Bar Plus, install Windows 10 to it with Rufus using the Windows To Go feature; let's you boot Windows from the thumb drive (may need to alter bios settings). Don't use a shitty thumb drive with crap write speed or you'll be there forever. Use Rufus To Create Windows To Go USB Running Windows 10

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
yea wrong rad orientation for a AIO

flip it 180
7949a003fe8ac07ad2f046ad7a39dcd2.jpg

you sure you don't hear gurgle?
Looks like a lot of work. I suggest just turning the entire pc upside down instead.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Fucking Windows update bricked my PC this morning and I'm looking for suggestions. I've had an update that needed a restart for quite a while now, decided to do it this morning. After restart computer doesn't boot. Motherboard has boot qled on. Tried restarting again, same thing. I have fast boot on, monitor turns on, gives the momentary _ then stays blank. Reset CMOS, I get to the photo then nothing. Can't even enter BIOS

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 1Barf

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
Question on setting RAM timing manually;

Mobo: Gigabyte Auros Z490 Ultra
RAM(4sticks for 32GB): G.SKILL Trident Z Neo Series 32GB DDR4 3600 Desktop Memory - Newegg.com

By default, the BIOS sets the RAM to 2133, and the PC is stable in this config. XMP with all 4 sticks is a no go as it causes instability (random BSODs). XMP works as expected with 2 sticks though (tried both sets, both work fine). I've attempted to manually set speed/timings/voltage based on the specs of the RAM, and still get BSODs, but less frequent then running XMP. MEMtest yielded no issues with the RAM itself. I don't think this is a faulty hardware issue, I think this is a settings issue and I suspect its something I'm missing.

From the below, screenshots, ive highlighted the changes I made..should I be making any other changes here? Or not making changes?

EDIT - sorted this..I must have been tinkering for way too long when i posted. Timings I entered werent right. Set them to what they should have been and back to stable..derp.

IMG_3654.jpg

IMG_3653.jpg

Last edited:

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
Fucking Windows update bricked my PC this morning and I'm looking for suggestions. I've had an update that needed a restart for quite a while now, decided to do it this morning. After restart computer doesn't boot. Motherboard has boot qled on. Tried restarting again, same thing. I have fast boot on, monitor turns on, gives the momentary _ then stays blank. Reset CMOS, I get to the photo then nothing. Can't even enter BIOS
Could try booting with the minimum to see if you can at least get it to POST and get you to the BIOS..could also try reseating the RAM or booting with one stick to see if something funky happened during the upgrade.

We had a few machines BSOD on us (with encryption) after we decided to move to v1909 that weren't recoverable..just re-imaged, but they would at least POST.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

I had this issue w a bad water cooler. Replaced it and it worked fine. I would also try the suggestion of flipping your PC to the proper orientation.

Also, listen closely for gurgling bc I bet you’re not getting proper water flow.

You can always buy/attach a fan in the meantime to setup and prove it’s your water cooling that’s screwy.

• 1Like