Computer Issues

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
My desktop PC doesn't power up anymore but pulling the power cord out and waiting 30-60s fixes it. It powers on when the cord is plugged back in but doesn't complete the first boot, then powers back up automatically and usually starts

It's 7.5 years old intel 6600k and is only used for downloading/watching TV/movies in my living room on my OLED TV. I have a 3 year old Ryzen laptop I bought for my business, this also runs SF6 just fine. I don't play/buy games apart from a brief spell of classic WOTLK and SF6.

The desktop has a GTX 1650 Super that I could put in a new machine, the purchase of which could also go through the business. So just wondering whether best option is just buy a new PC and stick the GFX card in, or just buy a new PSU.

The new desktop could also become my main work PC as my home office desk is also in the living room. So I could run a HDMI or DP cable to the monitor. This could be advantageous for video editing, although most of my editing is just small trailers not full clips.

Storage space is also a factor as I have two HDs in the desktop for all the films/TV. At least one of those is ancient and I'm constantly deleting old shows I won't watch again to make space for new downloads. Although really the chances of me watching some of those shows again are non existent. I did recently buy a 2tb external ssd drive for storing my own content

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My desktop PC doesn't power up anymore but pulling the power cord out and waiting 30-60s fixes it. It powers on when the cord is plugged back in but doesn't complete the first boot, then powers back up automatically and usually starts

It's 7.5 years old intel 6600k and is only used for downloading/watching TV/movies in my living room on my OLED TV. I have a 3 year old Ryzen laptop I bought for my business, this also runs SF6 just fine. I don't play/buy games apart from a brief spell of classic WOTLK and SF6.

The desktop has a GTX 1650 Super that I could put in a new machine, the purchase of which could also go through the business. So just wondering whether best option is just buy a new PC and stick the GFX card in, or just buy a new PSU.

The new desktop could also become my main work PC as my home office desk is also in the living room. So I could run a HDMI or DP cable to the monitor. This could be advantageous for video editing, although most of my editing is just small trailers not full clips.

Storage space is also a factor as I have two HDs in the desktop for all the films/TV. At least one of those is ancient and I'm constantly deleting old shows I won't watch again to make space for new downloads. Although really the chances of me watching some of those shows again are non existent. I did recently buy a 2tb external ssd drive for storing my own content
sounds like your caps are bad, you can try another power supply since you intend on having a new desktop, but your mb caps might be swelling up too.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Someone I know accidentally overwrote a very important Excel file that apparently they never backed up. Windows Previous versions wasn't enabled and doesn't have it and there's no other backup anywhere that I can tell.

Are any of the paid recovery tools worth a try for something like this? What's the best one?

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Someone I know accidentally overwrote a very important Excel file that apparently they never backed up. Windows Previous versions wasn't enabled and doesn't have it and there's no other backup anywhere that I can tell.

Are any of the paid recovery tools worth a try for something like this? What's the best one?
- Check for a restore point before it was overwritten.
- Make a new restore point
- Revert to point before oopsie
- Cloud save that file someplace or on a flash drive.
- Revert to new restore point.
- Copy file back.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
- Check for a restore point before it was overwritten.
- Make a new restore point
- Revert to point before oopsie
- Cloud save that file someplace or on a flash drive.
- Revert to new restore point.
- Copy file back.
They tried system restore themselves but it doesn't affect user created files in my documents.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
also try
Code:
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\UnsavedFiles.

excel makes a lot of temp files you don't even know

if that doesn't work, do a search on the drive for
Code:
*.xlsb

you'll notice excel is either *.xls or *.xlsx, *.xlsb is the temp files, they might be autodeleted, so work fast

it might not work cuz these are coded in excel binary, but at least it'll be something

imready2go

WTF is a Raider?
<Gold Donor>
Put together a new PC build. I thought I wired up everything correctly. Hit the power switch and nothing. Like not a peep.
I know the motherboard is getting some power because there are a couple of LEDs that are lighting up on the MB itself.

If there was an incompatibility with components (there is some question about the memory and the MB), would it be unable to start at all? Or would it at least make an attempt to start and just stall eventually? I'm just trying to pinpoint where I screwed up.

It's entirely possible I just put the power switch on the wrong header. Wouldn't be the first time.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Put together a new PC build. I thought I wired up everything correctly. Hit the power switch and nothing. Like not a peep.
I know the motherboard is getting some power because there are a couple of LEDs that are lighting up on the MB itself.

If there was an incompatibility with components (there is some question about the memory and the MB), would it be unable to start at all? Or would it at least make an attempt to start and just stall eventually? I'm just trying to pinpoint where I screwed up.

It's entirely possible I just put the power switch on the wrong header. Wouldn't be the first time.
Probably header or main power. You'd get beeps at least if CPU not seated or bad ram or something.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Beeps are rare these days. Debug LEDs are somewhat rare.

If you see the motherboard light up somewhere but nothing happens when you hit the power switch on the case, you might have it on the wrong headers or the switch might be broken. Or a litany of other things that get increasingly more arcane could be happening.

Check the switch header / short the header with a screwdriver or tweezers and see what happens.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Beeps are rare these days. Debug LEDs are somewhat rare.

If you see the motherboard light up somewhere but nothing happens when you hit the power switch on the case, you might have it on the wrong headers or the switch might be broken. Or a litany of other things that get increasingly more arcane could be happening.

Check the switch header / short the header with a screwdriver or tweezers and see what happens.
I've never seen any board with zero external diagnostic indicator. Do they really make those? Most seem to suppress if no error though.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Cheaper boards completely lack diagnostics, yeah. Mid range boards have 1 to 4 LEDs. High end boards might have a code reader instead of 4 LEDs.

Caliane

Thought I'd share my recent internet experience.

was paying for 1000mbps down, 100mbps up cable. +13/month for a modem. (stupid.. I know..)
I've never gotten that. was getting 100/10.
$120/month. 13 of which was modem. which they did not keep up to date either.

just swapped to frontier.
1g up and 1g down fiber.
69.99/m +ont+eero router no charge.

Here's me being extra stupid.
my old router.. was 100/10.. wired and wifi.. I didn't realize the wired connection was only 100/10..

Extra stupid.. that I swear is not my fault.
I have a UPS. the UPS has a network connection to provide surge protection.

With 1000/1000mbps fiber installed I was STILL only getting 100/100. the UPS was limiting me. bypassing that. 1000/1000. dang that shit is quick.

(I swear I've bypassed the router/ups before, and done speedtests. and gotten the same results. so, Im pretty sure I was not actually getting what I was paying for, and it wasn't all just me being stupid with the router/ups)

But the UPS limiting the fiber 1g, was a surprise.

• 1Like
  • 1Slow
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Thought I'd share my recent internet experience.

was paying for 1000mbps down, 100mbps up cable. +13/month for a modem. (stupid.. I know..)
I've never gotten that. was getting 100/10.
$120/month. 13 of which was modem. which they did not keep up to date either.

just swapped to frontier.
1g up and 1g down fiber.
69.99/m +ont+eero router no charge.

Here's me being extra stupid.
my old router.. was 100/10.. wired and wifi.. I didn't realize the wired connection was only 100/10..

Extra stupid.. that I swear is not my fault.
I have a UPS. the UPS has a network connection to provide surge protection.

With 1000/1000mbps fiber installed I was STILL only getting 100/100. the UPS was limiting me. bypassing that. 1000/1000. dang that shit is quick.

(I swear I've bypassed the router/ups before, and done speedtests. and gotten the same results. so, Im pretty sure I was not actually getting what I was paying for, and it wasn't all just me being stupid with the router/ups)

But the UPS limiting the fiber 1g, was a surprise.
yikes-cringe.gif

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Weird issue with my setup. I have a RTX 3080 and a AW2723DF (connected via DP; it's a good quality, certified cable that I've been using for years). When I power on my computer with the monitor in standby, I get small white "snow" artifacts that appear and disappear; the monitor also occasionally turns black. I can resolve this by either leaving the monitor off and only powering it up once Windows loads or just power cycling the monitor once. For reference, I totally shut down my PC every night when I'm done using it.

It doesn't seem to happen in Safe Mode, and it also temporarily resolves during the brief period I do not have drivers installed in between upgrades, therefore I'd assume it's software (and probably NVCP) related.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this and/or certain settings I could try changing to resolve the problem?

It's not a super severe problem, but it does get annoying needing to power cycle every time I power my machine on. Thanks!

Last edited:

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Standby/sleep modes always seem to cause trouble so I avoid them whenever possible, technically everything could be in proper working order but using the mode causes the issues.

Try changing what DP port you use and if able you can also try swapping to an HDMI cable to test if it still happens so you can narrow down if it's Windows, the whole GPU, a specific port, or standby issues exclusive to DP.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
There was a time when Win10 would see monitors connected by DisplayPort as being disconnected when the went to sleep. Ever since then I just turn my monitors off when I'm away from the desktop.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
sleep mode will be and issue for some, most of the time it's hardware related like ppl said, dp port is funky, even if the hdmi cable is too long/weak, it won't be able to send the signal to wake.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I've been using startallback to make windows 11 look like old windows. I just got a new PC and wanted to see if there was a way to export the settings, something updated and now my laptop is unusable. Just constant taskbar flickering, can't start any programs, open any settings, I can open task manager but no idea what process to kill to kill startall back.

Is there anyway I can boot into safe mode whilst the laptop is booting up or somehow uninstall startallback?