Computer Issues

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I've been using startallback to make windows 11 look like old windows. I just got a new PC and wanted to see if there was a way to export the settings, something updated and now my laptop is unusable. Just constant taskbar flickering, can't start any programs, open any settings, I can open task manager but no idea what process to kill to kill startall back.

Is there anyway I can boot into safe mode whilst the laptop is booting up or somehow uninstall startallback?
Boot into safe mode options:

Boot into Safe Mode from Windows 11 or Windows 10​

1. Press the Windows + I on the keyboard to open Settings.
    • If that does not work, click Start and then select Settings.
  2. Click Update & Security and on the left pane select Recovery.
  3. Under Advanced Startup, click Restart Now.
  4. After the computer restarts, on the Choose an Option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings > Restart.
  5. After the computer restarts, a list of options appears. Select 4 or F4 to start the computer in Safe Mode. If you must use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

Boot into Safe Mode from the sign-in screen in Windows 11 or Windows 10​

1. Restart the computer.
  2. At the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down and then click Power > Restart.
  3. After the computer restarts to the Choose an Option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings > Restart.
  4. After the computer restarts, a list of options should appear. Select 4 or F4 to start the computer in Safe Mode. If you must use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

Boot into Safe Mode from outside of Windows 11 or Windows 10​

Windows 11 and Windows 10 automatically boot into the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) if Windows fails to start three times in a row. Three consecutive failed attempts trigger this action. Booting to Safe Mode outside of Windows is achieved in the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE).

Follow these steps to enter Safe Mode from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE):
  1. At the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot.
  2. At the Troubleshoot screen, select Advanced Options.
  3. At the Advanced Options screen, select Advanced Startup Options.
  4. Select Startup Settings.
  5. Select Restart.
  6. The computer restarts and enters the Startup Settings menu. Select 4 or F4 to start the computer in Safe Mode. If you must use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

As for fixing it, etc. This reddit may help:

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Boot into safe mode options:

Boot into Safe Mode from Windows 11 or Windows 10​

1. Press the Windows + I on the keyboard to open Settings.
    • If that does not work, click Start and then select Settings.
  2. Click Update & Security and on the left pane select Recovery.
  3. Under Advanced Startup, click Restart Now.
  4. After the computer restarts, on the Choose an Option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings > Restart.
  5. After the computer restarts, a list of options appears. Select 4 or F4 to start the computer in Safe Mode. If you must use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

Boot into Safe Mode from the sign-in screen in Windows 11 or Windows 10​

1. Restart the computer.
  2. At the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down and then click Power > Restart.
  3. After the computer restarts to the Choose an Option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings > Restart.
  4. After the computer restarts, a list of options should appear. Select 4 or F4 to start the computer in Safe Mode. If you must use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

Boot into Safe Mode from outside of Windows 11 or Windows 10​

Windows 11 and Windows 10 automatically boot into the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) if Windows fails to start three times in a row. Three consecutive failed attempts trigger this action. Booting to Safe Mode outside of Windows is achieved in the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE).

Follow these steps to enter Safe Mode from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE):
  1. At the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot.
  2. At the Troubleshoot screen, select Advanced Options.
  3. At the Advanced Options screen, select Advanced Startup Options.
  4. Select Startup Settings.
  5. Select Restart.
  6. The computer restarts and enters the Startup Settings menu. Select 4 or F4 to start the computer in Safe Mode. If you must use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

As for fixing it, etc. This reddit may help:

ty, I managed to get into safe mode and run a system restore

But now I'm having an issue with new PC - connecting my headphones into the front audio headphone jack either gets very very low sound or "incomplete" sound coming through the headphones. By incomplete sound - watching a trailer on youtube just has ambient effects no dialogue, listening to music only some of the instruments are audible.

• Intel Core i7-13700K 16-core CPU
  • EKWB 360mm AiO liquid cooler
  • 32GB (2x 16GB) 6000MHz Kingston FURY Beast RGB DDR5 memory
  • ASUS Prime Z790-A WiFi ATX motherboard
    Nvidia 3080

I've updated all the motherboard drivers and utilities etc. Installing the realtek audio console software helped get from very very low sound to incomplete. Plugging the headphones into the rear jack works fine

I don't have any external speakers, but I do have my Audio Receiver plugged into one of the HDMI ports of the graphics card. I will need to use my headset for work calls

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ty, I managed to get into safe mode and run a system restore

But now I'm having an issue with new PC - connecting my headphones into the front audio headphone jack either gets very very low sound or "incomplete" sound coming through the headphones. By incomplete sound - watching a trailer on youtube just has ambient effects no dialogue, listening to music only some of the instruments are audible.

• Intel Core i7-13700K 16-core CPU
  • EKWB 360mm AiO liquid cooler
  • 32GB (2x 16GB) 6000MHz Kingston FURY Beast RGB DDR5 memory
  • ASUS Prime Z790-A WiFi ATX motherboard
    Nvidia 3080

I've updated all the motherboard drivers and utilities etc. Installing the realtek audio console software helped get from very very low sound to incomplete. Plugging the headphones into the rear jack works fine

I don't have any external speakers, but I do have my Audio Receiver plugged into one of the HDMI ports of the graphics card. I will need to use my headset for work calls
maybe your jack plug is dirty, clean it with a toothpick

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I moved my PC into a new quieter case with quieter fans and I thought all was well. But the CPU is overheating now and all I did was move the case/motherboard.

I have

and its not even a year old. The LCD plate on this thing reads a good 39C but when the computer is on and I use HWINFO CPU reads at 90C even idling then shuts down due to heat. Where should I start looking?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Nevermind fixed. Had a screw loose on the liquid cooler cap that didn't give the full surface area to it. Nice and cool now.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Deebo

Molten Core Raider
I am trying to find a free program that will play Walmart security footage. They are AVI files encoded by SN40, which is what Walmart uses to encode all their videos. Anyone know of anything?

Kiki

Log Wizard
I am trying to find a free program that will play Walmart security footage. They are AVI files encoded by SN40, which is what Walmart uses to encode all their videos. Anyone know of anything?
Looks like VLC won't do it unless you change the codec value in hex. SN40 is just H263 renamed to be cool.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ranak

Molten Core Raider
I have a 10 year old PC I built that is giving me a bunch of different BSOD and I'm trying to figure out what needs replacing. Maybe RAM? Sometimes takes 5-10 boot ups before it stable enough to use for just Chrome, but I'd like to get it working again and replace whatever has gone bad. Ideas?

Most Common:
Clock Watchdog Timeout
System Service Exception
Page Fault in Nonpaged Area
Kernal Security Check Failure
KMode Exception Note Handled
Critical Process Died

Some others I've seen:
System Thread Exception Not Handled
Driver IRQL Not less or Equal
Attempted Write to Read Only Memory

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have a 10 year old PC I built that is giving me a bunch of different BSOD and I'm trying to figure out what needs replacing. Maybe RAM? Sometimes takes 5-10 boot ups before it stable enough to use for just Chrome, but I'd like to get it working again and replace whatever has gone bad. Ideas?

Most Common:
Clock Watchdog Timeout
System Service Exception
Page Fault in Nonpaged Area
Kernal Security Check Failure
KMode Exception Note Handled
Critical Process Died

Some others I've seen:
System Thread Exception Not Handled
Driver IRQL Not less or Equal
Attempted Write to Read Only Memory
i'd double check your thermal paste which has most likely dried out

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
i'd double check your thermal paste which has most likely dried out
I was thinking it had something to do with the CPU and thats probably it. Ive got an AIO Water cooler on my old computer thats been around since the 970's were brand new. Start it up and the thing sounds like an old Volkswagen Diesel. CLACK CLACK ClaaCk Clack clack clack clack cl...ack .... cla.. ck.... silent.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I was thinking it had something to do with the CPU and thats probably it. Ive got an AIO Water cooler on my old computer thats been around since the 970's were brand new. Start it up and the thing sounds like an old Volkswagen Diesel. CLACK CLACK ClaaCk Clack clack clack clack cl...ack .... cla.. ck.... silent.
yea he's getting different bsod all the time, probably cuz he starts pc cold, then it works then it heats up then fails, then he restarts but it's still hot from the temp and then just keeps on rebooting from there.

it's 10yrs old so no thermal throttling just turn off

• 1Like

Ranak

Molten Core Raider
yea he's getting different bsod all the time, probably cuz he starts pc cold, then it works then it heats up then fails, then he restarts but it's still hot from the temp and then just keeps on rebooting from there.

it's 10yrs old so no thermal throttling just turn off
What's the fix here if that's the case? Built PCs for almost 30 years, but never dealt with thermal paste.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What's the fix here if that's the case? Built PCs for almost 30 years, but never dealt with thermal paste.
take off your heatsink, wipe off the now caked on thermal paste, use 99% isopropyl (not 70%) alcohol on heatsink and cpu, and then put a pea sized dab of new thermal paste in the middle

my most recent thermal paste is mx6
ARCTIC MX-6 (4 g) - Ultimate Performance Thermal Paste for CPU, Consoles, Graphics Cards, laptops, Very high Thermal Conductivity, Long Durability, Non-Conductive, Non-capacitive
9c2f46c0cf8ba788d50465209198bb87.png

if you can't wait for amazon, you can just goto any microcenter and buy the most popular paste, it doesn't really matter for that old of a pc, you just need new paste
1373e07694f9373f6e1ede97b3fb7b48.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
if you haven't touched your pc in 10years you also have a horde of dust bunnies so pick up some compressed air, take your pc out side and clean, also when you blow anywhere next to a fan, hold the fan blade down, b/c free spinning it could damage it.

Ranak

Molten Core Raider
Just lucky I guess?

But really, I dunno. I've seriously never used it before over probably 6-7 PCs. Does it usually come pre-applied?
How'd you build pcs for 30 years but never touch thermal paste?

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Just lucky I guess?

But really, I dunno. I've seriously never used it before over probably 6-7 PCs. Does it usually come pre-applied?
Yeah stock coolers from INtel/AMD usually have it pre applied.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just lucky I guess?

i'm now more confident in my assessment that it is heat related

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users