Conan Exiles

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Daidraco

Silver Baronet of the Realm
What can a dev do to prevent that? Ive always been annoyed at how mods break. There has to be a better way? Can they not release public database files? So a dev can get a hold of it early and not disrupt the play pattern of tons of players? Then the mod dev can release the update at a specified time and no one is inconvenienced.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I think valheim was just simpler to get into. Easy to understand systems that were pretty much spoon fed to you from start. Also progression was simple and easy to understand too. Lets face it, most people are fucking stupid and need hand holding and a clear path. In Conan not so much. I found conan to be confusing as fuck, especially in beginning with little to no explenation other than looking shit up on the wiki or just trying shit until something worked. But the complexity of Conan is more rewarding when you do start to figure the shit out.

Plus the cost too. Conan is like $140 for everything. I know you dont need it and most are just skins and building sets, but still...Shits expensive for a 3 yr old game.
Yeah, that "handholding" aspect is something people 100% look for. It's hilarious watching people bitch about linearity in games nowadays, but then hate games that just drop you in the middle of nowhere and basically say, "figure it out, bitch".

Cost is a huge factor, I agree. Valheim launched at an absolutely perfect price point. Conan is a bit prohibitive on that front for sure.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
For the tower, some kind of Ultima Underworld 2 mega dungeon would be cool, but I don't think people like that kinda shit anymore. I'd kill for a good UU2 remake, it was the original 3D survival game for me, it would likely seem small today though.

I usually wasn't in a rush to update game/server, didn't have much issue for mods I used, either they didn't break or mod dev was still committed to updates. I stopped using others because they were too out of date though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Server up, I may be doing frequent changes of settings that require restarts ect next couple days. Let me know if you want something tweaked.

Running 300 Level & Pickup+ for now, think it's PVE.
Name: Cynical - Exiled Lands
172.106.131.178:29900 :)29915 Steam)
PW: fires21

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
What can a dev do to prevent that?
They have begun in the last year or so to release a "test" devkit ahead of time to help out a bit with this problem.

But really the entire modding system is fundamentally broken at the Unreal level. It's amazing what people can do with it.

The foundation is on blueprint, which at its core is just a broken idea. Arty-designy people don't code, and people that want to do real coding don't want to stare at a big graph of wires. Even if you can somehow make it a decent "language" and perform well, it lacks the critical functionality of working with source control systems.

Putting your blueprints into git is useless because you can't diff them, and your revision history is also useless unless you are very very verbose in your checkin notes.

This also makes it impossible for mod changes to merge with dev changes. When a dev changes a core file (it's usually basePlayerChar), the modder has to basically take screenshots of their own changes, throw them out to get the developer file, then try to rebuild from the screenshot. It's savagery.

Really they never should have ever allowed players to modify funcom created blueprints. But then again if they did that certain types of mods would never be possible.

The cool thing is though that for most mods, there's no need to change any funcom files. They added a system about a year in where you can ask a funcom module to attach a component of your own creation to any existing funcom actor type.

All of my mods work this way. I create like a component that attaches to all bee hives for instance. Then my component can check things on a tick or whatever. The funcom files can change alot and I never have to rebuild my mods, they just work.

The only time they can break is if a function prototype changes that I'm overloading. And I don't think that has ever happened.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Just from a pure PvE perspective solo, this game is the adult finished version of Valheim but on crack. And valheim was my first survival type game. This game just takes it to other fucking levels. If anyone liked Valheim but wants more, think of no other place than this game. This games sense of scale of things is just perfect. Valheim felt a little cramped.
This is what I wanted to see. Valheim was too my first survival game. I want to try something else and I was debating between this and Ark evolved.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xerge

<Donor>
This is what I wanted to see. Valheim was too my first survival game. I want to try something else and I was debating between this and Ark evolved.
Go for Conan on the Exiled Map unless your obsession is dinos.

• 1Like

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Haven't played Ark at all, so by default I'd say Conan.

However Ark is on Gamepass, or was, so you can still try it out for 1$. I think they still have a sale. I've been considering trying it and FO74, but my SD makes me behave.

Daidraco

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Tried both, had more fun in Conan Exiles than I did Ark. But to me, it means far more if you actually have people to play the game with you. Thralls in Conan Exiles, Dinosaurs in Ark. Its w/e either way.

• 2Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
ARK is a game that was incredible for its time, but really hasn't aged that well, honestly. I went back and tried playing it about 8 months ago and realized just how clunky a lot of shit is in that game, especially the UI.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dizzam

Blackwing Lair Raider
With this game coming to Game Pass, a few friends and I are going to give it a try. We’ve been playing quite a bit of Ark where I just use my extra Xbox to host a server. What’s best for Conan in terms of server? Should we play on an official server or fork over the cash to rent and play on a private server?

Xerge

<Donor>
If you want to pvp other players official servers, if you want to experience the map and it's progression/content host your own.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Didn't care for Ark. Played Conan Exiles for the first time tonight. Was pretty fun. Will probably play some more.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Something they changed last week caused all my mods to break so I had to fix them all and test and such. Got me in the mood to play again so got with a friend that can run a server and off we went!

20210828110517_1.jpg
20210828173810_1.jpg
20210828203434_1.jpg
20210829155234_1.jpg
20210829164836_1.jpg

Game is in a good spot now. We used to have 20+ mods just to make it playable. I think we are running 7 now. Also we didn't play with any of the server settings for XP rate or amount harvested or anything. It all seems in a really good spot. XP might be a little too fast for me.

On Siptah there are no more of those sky anuses pooping out potential thralls, instead there are alot of bandit camps scattered about. I noticed one group had even taken over a leyshrine.

What all those shrines and tower and such do now I don't really know. The big sharknado at the center still happens, but they took out the big guitar note when it finishes.

The first dungeon I tried was spiced up a bit with little spots you could learn recipes from. I also got a recipe from the final chest. I can't make it yet but it looks like a dual axe weapon.

I seem to remember seeing something about being able to transfer between Siptah and the Mainland but we haven't looked into it yet. Would be great to have both.

• 2Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
So I think the transfer thing is some funcom server that holds your character? Probably would break if you had any mods running.

The old house got completely trashed in a surge raid thing. It happened at around 2am when one guy was online (and afk) so no defense. I had a wheel set up near the leyshrine of the goblin so I started a small platform with crafting stations on it, and it eventually evolved into a house.
20210831185752_1.jpg

When I hit 60 I started building the new high end benches and furnaces and such. I sort of half remembered the carpenter one because it looks silly. The others not so much.

Anyway the descriptions for some say "uses less materials" but only (I think) the carpenter one does this. The precision bench. The furnace and tanner that supposedly use less materials use the same amounts, they are just extremely fast. BUT they burn fuel at like 300% rate or something crazy. I built the more efficient ones because there's not alot of coal around where I'm at. A single stack of 1000 lasts 40 something hours.

20210901101825_1.jpg

Look at the little blue icon on the thrall. There's a bunch of new added benefits to some of the namey thralls. Not sure what this one does but my friend found one that adds damage to any weapon it makes, and another that adds concussion to any trunches they make.

He was furious that they removed thrall material reduction in recipes so this I guess was given to soften the blow a bit.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Was going to try this again. Any of the DLC must haves?
No play the base game and if you like it, the expansion is just a different continent, but they are not shared. You either start in old or new.