Congressional Shutdown

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Congressional Slutdown immediately makes me think of the Michelle Bachmann that Miley did... coincidence?

iannis

Musty Nester
Another thing that makes me think "coincidence?" is that the poll spread here and the poll spread in the ACA YES/NO is pretty similar.

I'd venture to guess that 2 out of 3 posters on this board don't vote Republican -- although they may not vote Democrat either.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Which begs the question, what is it they are "shutting down"? You take trees and grass and lakes, you toss a few fences up and call it a park. You hire security and a couple dumb asses at minimum wage to sit in a booth at the entrance and charge money to stare at the trees right? So the government shuts down and you keep paying security to race around making sure no one hangs out and trys to have a fucking picnic in the grass at the "park"......Makes no sense. If the funding for the parks is shut down, send the fucking security guards home. But the government is going to continue to pay these guys to make sure no one enters and walks around the trees, which if you take the fences down is no longer a park, its just nature right? Its got to be the most laughable tactic I've seen yet. Yea Obama, make it hurt. I'll go stare at some trees that don't have a fence around it.

P.S. Make sure those 80 year old veterans can't stare at the giant wall outside with the names of their dead comrades inscribed. That will show the Republicans!
Do you think that security guards are considered "essential?"

Of course it makes sense. They can't maintain these parks while they are shutdown. So if a whole bunch of "the greatest generation" decide to throw a kegger at the WW2 memorial, they won't be able to clean up after them, or perform anything more than emergency repairs and maintenance, or run other services that these parks rely on.

There is really just no excuse for you to buy this shit wholesale from Fox or whoever. It is a fake controversy, the real controversy being Congress expecting to negotiate in order to do their Constitutionally mandated job.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I am surprised nobody seems to consider the financial part of this. At a personal level if they keep shitting the bed and play a game of chicken with the country, you will lose money. The dollar has already dropped this week a fair amount vs other currency, if they keep the shut down going and don't pass the debt ceiling as well you may get to have some time off.. "YAY I'M TARDED" but the money you have saved up is going to be worth less than it is right now, lets say if we keep acting like cunts and the rest of the world decides as an example to view the Euro as a safer option all that money that you have saved up isn't going to go as far as you may hope.

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
I assume this shit goes on as a way to attract actual bribes. They're fishing for some groups with vulnerable interests. Kill hostages until someone offers to pay extra under the table just to do their job.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Fidelity sells off short-term U.S. government debt

Money market portfolio managers at Fidelity Investments have been selling off their government debt holdings over the last couple of weeks, said Nancy Prior, president of Fidelity's Money Market Group. While Fidelity expects the debt ceiling issue to be resolved, the Boston-based asset manager said it is taking steps to protect investors.

Prior said that Fidelity no longer holds any U.S. debt that comes due in late October or early November, the window considered by many investors to be the most exposed if the government runs out of money and defaults on its obligations.

Fidelity's actions underscore what traders have noticed the last week. Investors have dumped U.S. government debt that comes due this month, with the heaviest selling in one-month Treasury bills. The yield on the one-month T-bill jumped to 0.3 percent Tuesday, its highest level since the 2008 financial crisis. The yield was nearly zero at the beginning of the month.
So there is that...

It's pretty interesting, actually. In a week, we could hit a brick wall that will likely be much worse than the Great Recession. I suspect the first order of business will be to prioritize debt payments over any other expenditure, but I've read that there may be technical barriers at treasury that might not allow this. Obviously, when the payment system was programmed, nobody thought this would ever be necessary.

If treasury were to not outright ignore the debt ceiling, I wonder just how bad this might get. There are a lot of funds (especially pension funds) that are required to hold a certain share of their assets in AAA rated debt. A serious risk of default obviously means the US loses that rating. So treasuries would no longer meet that requirement, which means there'd be no choice but to dump them in large quantities on the market. If you're wondering how to turn a recession into a depression, that's probably a pretty good start.