Constantine (2005)

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
4.75 star(s) Rating: 4.75/5 4 Votes
Title: Constantine (2005)

Tagline: Hell Wants Him, Heaven Won't Take Him, Earth Needs Him.

Genre: Drama, Fantasy, Horror

Director: Francis Lawrence

Cast: Keanu Reeves, Rachel Weisz, Shia LaBeouf, Djimon Hounsou, Max Baker, Pruitt Taylor Vince, Gavin Rossdale, Tilda Swinton, Peter Stormare, Jesse Ramirez, José Zúñiga, Laz Alonso, April Grace, Michelle Monaghan, Larry Cedar, Barbara Pilavin

Release: 2005-02-08

Runtime: 121

Plot: John Constantine has literally been to Hell and back. When he teams up with a policewoman to solve the mysterious suicide of her twin sister, their investigation takes them through the world of demons and angels that exists beneath the landscape of contemporary Los Angeles.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Watched this movie again, it’s a huge personal favorite.

How has this never had a sequel? Critics were hard on it but it has. 72 fan score on rotten tomatoes. It’s made over 250 million at the box office. Has tons of source material. Has a mega star as the lead. Has one of the most interesting universes built around the story.

They need to revive this, and keep Stormare as the Devil.

• 12Like
  • 5Solidarity
Reactions: 16 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I enjoyed Swinton as Gabriel too. I love this movie and have owned it on DVD and Blu-Ray.

• 8Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Peter Stormare never disappoints.

1590380301480.png

• 12Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 14 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
It is a solid movie, honestly I agree I would love to see more of this universe. Sadly most of Hollywood are hack retards like Scream so will never happen. That being said DC actually makes some decent animated movies unlike 90% of their live action dogshit so you might want to check out. Anyways they are worth a look and will scratch some of that Constantine lore itch.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I feel like if this same film was released today it would be huge. But it was 2005 before user ratings mattered.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
The sequence from cutting his wrists to his first breath with no lung cancer is one of my favorites in any movie, if it's on TV and anywhere near that part I'm stopping and watching. Stormare is just awesome as the devil.

• 10Like
  • 1Great Review
Reactions: 10 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
This is one of my top 10 favorite movies of all time. My one, true, guilty pleasure. The cast was fantastic - Hounsou (also one of my top 10 fav actors), Reeves, Swinton, Stormare as one of the best depictions of Satan ever put on screen (he looks like a member of Rammstein lol), even a young LaBeouf.

The whole movie gets the tone and pacing perfect. And, yeah, the entire final scene in the sanitarium is amazing.

I probably watch this movie twice a year.

• 4Like
  • 3Solidarity
  • 1Great Review
Reactions: 7 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I think that there is no greater compliment to this than saying Shia LeBouf is in it, and not only does he not annoy you or ruin the film, he actually fits his role perfectly and is pretty good as the young but motivated apprentice who really doesn’t know how far out of his death he is. I mean....even Shia can’t fuck this up.

Give this a late academy award

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yes, there was a TV show. It was good, but very different vibe.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Just finished rewatching and man, yeah forgot how great this was. Shia’s character is very strange in that he’s kinda there then as soon as Rachel Weisz shows up he vanishes and pops back up as soon as she’s kidnapped. Also was going to attempt to count how many times he said “John” but got lost after 30 or so.

The DC Animated Constantine City of Demons wasn’t bad either.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Giving the finger to Satan as he is ascending is maybe my favorite moment in a movie ever.

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I think that there is no greater compliment to this than saying Shia LeBouf is in it, and not only does he not annoy you or ruin the film, he actually fits his role perfectly and is pretty good as the young but motivated apprentice who really doesn’t know how far out of his death he is. I mean....even Shia can’t fuck this up.

Give this a late academy award

Haha two other compliments to the movie - Swinton actually looks ATTRACTIVE in a couple of scenes, and the lead singer of Bush actually made for a pretty passable minor demon.

Edit - And Weisz will probably never do nude so this movie is as close as you are going to get.

• 2Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I like Swinton in everything. Watched the Suspiria remake yesterday again on her account.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I like Swinton in everything. Watched the Suspiria remake yesterday again on her account.

She's got a lot of range. She was a really good in Snowpiercer, too. And the Suspiria remake was pretty awesome. Been meaning to sit down and watch it for a second time to see if there are other things I can pick up from the film.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Looking back at all the roles played by Keanu Reeves, I would have to say that this was his best role. He did great in many other roles but this role fit his acting style perfectly. He excels at the brooding, calm, bad ass with a singular agenda. It is why John Wick plays so well. The personalities are almost identical. I am surprised that the story was not continued. It was left wide open for a sequel. Given what can be accomplished with effects, this movie would just need a great script and Keanu Reeves reprising the role.

I was not that much of a fan of the series.

• 2Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database