Continuum

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Continuum

Genre: Action & Adventure, Drama, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2012-05-27

Creator: Simon Barry

Cast: Brian Markinson, Luvia Petersen, Tony Amendola, Victor Webster, Stephen Lobo, Lexa Doig, Rachel Nichols, Erik Knudsen, Jennifer Spence, Omari Newton, Roger Cross

Overview: The series centers on the conflict between a group of rebels from the year 2077 who time-travel to Vancouver, BC, in 2012, and a police officer who accidentally accompanies them. In spite of being many years early, the rebel group decides to continue its violent campaign to stop corporations of the future from replacing governments, while the police officer endeavours to stop them without revealing to anyone that she and the rebels are from the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I enjoyed Season 1 a lot more than I thought I would, and am looking forward to Season 2. Main actress is a little wooden at times, but the super hotness gets you past those moments.

Oberstein

Molten Core Raider
I enjoyed Season 1 a lot more than I thought I would, and am looking forward to Season 2. Main actress is a little wooden at times, but the super hotness gets you past those moments.
Cought the premiere last night by chance and I like it as much as Alphas or similar SyFy shows. Not the best acting / writing but certainly entertaining. You are dead on about the hotness, damn. Rachel Nichols, blonde and brunette version:

rrr_img_9048.jpg
rrr_img_9049.jpg

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
She was the Blonde long ago in the woods movie, was in New Conan, as well as new Star Trek reboot as the redheaded Green Alien chick with kirk.

She Has Double Major from Columbia University in math and economics , As well as Masters Degree.

Cybsled

I was entertained...kinda like a cross between Terminator and Time Cop.

The pilot makes it pretty clear this is a closed loop "pre-destination" paradox view of time travel. The fact CSM is smiling when the time travel happens and how he introduces himself to her in the flashback kinda makes that clear. Kinda removes some of the tension, though.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Anyone else watching this? I didn't see a thread about it. I've only seen 4 or 5 and have the rest recorded, but I kinda like it. Only problem is, I'm not sure who's side we're supposed to be on. I find myself much more sympathatic to the liberate people, especially now that the leader dude has shown up and wants to go non violent. But I can't tell if that's because they're writing it that way, or if I just can't look past how fucked up the future is.

Cybsled

http://www.rerolled.org/showthread.php?1272-Continuumbut it was buried deep. Continuum/Being Human/Lost Girl are my normal Monday viewings ;P

Anyways, I liked the show. I think the whole point is to demonstrate that things are rarely black and white. Liber8 are terrorists no doubt, but it also makes you examine why they even formed to begin with. Their methods are bad, even if some of their core messages are good. It also goes to great lengths to show that the future, while great for the well off, is pretty shitty for everyone else (it shows food riots and some of the slum-like areas people lived in).

The thing that throws me off is that future Alec clearly has memories of the past. Normally this would suggest a closed loop, pre-destination paradox. However, the show has shown that some future stuff can be altered. Like the guy who's grandmother died...even if it wasn't his biological grandmother, he still had memories of her when he was a kid, which means that small part of history was rewritten. Alec/Kagame also talk about the whole tsunami analogy. Even if you have a bucket and can disperse a little bit of the tsunami, the tsunami as a whole is still going to hit, although Kagame alludes to the fact that future Alec indicated that there is a chance to somehow change the inevitable tsunami of time.

T:TSC didn't really flesh out it's time travel theory until the 2nd season, so hopefully they can elaborate more on this.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Someone delete this thread and move it to my thread please.
Done. In the future for fastest response you can use report for stuff like this, will give all the mods a heads up.

Or if it's not urgent to you feel free to PM me and I'll get around to it whenever I notice. Either way.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
dammit, does that mean he gets the bonus $$ for having people respond to a thread you start?

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
Done. In the future for fastest response you can use report for stuff like this, will give all the mods a heads up.

Or if it's not urgent to you feel free to PM me and I'll get around to it whenever I notice. Either way.
Np Tarrant was going to do it in sec lol, I pmed the mods ahead or try to.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
OK so now that I read the old thread ... how the hell had you seen all of season 1 back in january? Season 1 is still playing.

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
OK so now that I read the old thread ... how the hell had you seen all of season 1 back in january? Season 1 is still playing.
Its canada show for one, for two, even though it says new on syfi channel, its repeats of season 1 , season 2 will be out soon here in the USA.

I missed this show season 1, then just downloaded the entire season 1 and watched them in row and liked it alot.

Syfi channel is bad about saying certain shows are new when they are repeats of the season etc.

It does not hurt that Rachel is smoking hot, almost 6 foot tall at 5-11 and smart as fuck in real life, and natural blonde, seen her in alot of movies liked her, she discovered as super model while going to private school, then went to the IVY league college and got 2 degree's.

On syfi like warhouse and this show, being human and lost girl the most, however if Defiance does not suck will love that as huge Syfy Nerd.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Huh?

I started this thread monthes ago when the board moved to here from FoH.

Lol what bonus?
you don't get that deal? Damn, i've already gotten 2 checks. Might wanna read the contract again and see what you're missing.

I hope they make liberate the cause of the occupy movements. That'd be pretty funny.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Its canada show for one, for two, even though it says new on syfi channel, its repeats of season 1 , season 2 will be out soon here in the USA.

I missed this show season 1, then just downloaded the entire season 1 and watched them in row and liked it alot.

Syfi channel is bad about saying certain shows are new when they are repeats of the season etc.

It does not hurt that Rachel is smoking hot, almost 6 foot tall at 5-11 and smart as fuck in real life, and natural blonde, seen her in alot of movies liked her, she discovered as super model while going to private school, then went to the IVY league college and got 2 degree's.

On syfi like warhouse and this show, being human and lost girl the most, however if Defiance does not suck will love that as huge Syfy Nerd.
Syfy was calling it new because technically it IS new to the US market. Just like when PBS says it is a new season of downton abby when the season was done months ago. That aside I am really digging continuum and I hope it does well enough ratings wise to keep going the premise was a bit questionable but they are doing a very good job with it so far.

I think the time travel method they are doing is the river theory. Time is like a river and when you have certain major events that will time after time always flow to the same general point. So it is difficult to impossible to change large things but it is possible to change smaller specific outcomes. I am not even sure if kagami realized what future alecs plans really are. He may have thought one thing but may have been setup to enable some smaller changeable event to occur.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I don't know the name for the theory, but I figured it was more along the lines that since they were part of the disruption (or out of time when it happened), they were immune to the changes. Therefore, grandma can be killed, but the dude still lives and remembers her. Now, when he returns to his own time, no one would know either of them. I never liked the 'back to the future' mechanic where a time traveler could wipe themselves out of existence by like, accidentally fucking their own grandma.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Really dig this show. It is nice how they keep it unclear if the terrorist are are the bad ones if its the corporations; it doesnt try to slam some ideology down your throat. Hopefully season 2 keeps it up. Also, Rachel Nichols is really hot.

Cybsled

I don't know the name for the theory, but I figured it was more along the lines that since they were part of the disruption (or out of time when it happened), they were immune to the changes. Therefore, grandma can be killed, but the dude still lives and remembers her. Now, when he returns to his own time, no one would know either of them. I never liked the 'back to the future' mechanic where a time traveler could wipe themselves out of existence by like, accidentally fucking their own grandma.
The T:TSCC version of time travel was essentially that the act of going back in time and changing anything created a new timeline, but did not destroy the old one. Essentially, time line A has a guy go back to 3/20/2013 and assassinate a person who will grow up to become an infamous terrorist. A new time line (time line B) is then created from that moment and essentially from the point of the change, the timeline skips the original time line A that would have happened after that change and goes to this new time line B. Think train tracks switching...the train track before the switch is the same, but after the switch you get placed on a new track. The other track that you normally would have been able to travel on isn't destroyed, but you can no longer access it after the point of the change. Essentially, this creates an almost infinite amount of possible time lines, but only the time travel/people who are on that time line will experience the change. This is also why things like a grandfather paradox would not apply or any other changes that would normally impact the time traveler themselves.

Now Continuum has shown that older Alec has memories of all the stuff going on during the show and sends everyone back as part of a plan. This normally creates a paradox: Alec creates a time machine to send people back in time, because when he was younger he met people that his older self had sent back in time, thus he knows that when he gets older, he will have to do this. Now they could potentially use the T:TSCC model, but this implies that someone already sent (at bare minimum) Kira back in time previously, which inspired older Alec to hatch this plan. Terminator sort of has the same "what is the origin time travel?" issue, where we never truly know what "time line zero" was. For all we know, the time line currently being experienced is the culmination of hundreds of previous time line alterations.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database