Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Clunky is a good way to describe it but then again I have nothing to compare it to. Got a free month with some Roku code for direct tv now so I'll give it a try for sure but quality was really good for the NBA Finals game in prime time on my shitty ass internet connection.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
My ISP convinced me to stay because my bill would be just 10 bucks more. This is their gig service....

Not a happy camper.

GiG.jpg

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Whatever, dude.

I pay fucking $65 a month for this awesome service. With a 250gb cap, no less. It's like 2002 over here.

BzMZkE5.jpg

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Haha! Been traveling a lot, and been having to do a lot of shit on 5down/0.5up hotel connections. So far I've been actually surprised. Straight downloads are terrible of course, but streaming from Hulu or Plex, playing EQ, etc has all been fine and stable.

I thought it'd be terrible, considering how slow and bad it is, but nope, been just fine.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
the DirecTV Now experience on Roku is a huge step up from Amazon Fire TV. so far I've had zero buffering, the interface is improved and the picture quality is indistinguishable from cable. very pleased.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
the DirecTV Now experience on Roku is a huge step up from Amazon Fire TV. so far I've had zero buffering, the interface is improved and the picture quality is indistinguishable from cable. very pleased.
Not sure what differences you see in the interface. It looks 100% the same from my FireTV.

I have been using it the last few days just to see how it works, and I agree the buffering is almost non existent. There have been a couple hiccups here and there, but all and all not even worth complaining about really.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Not sure what differences you see in the interface. It looks 100% the same from my FireTV.

I have been using it the last few days just to see how it works, and I agree the buffering is almost non existent. There have been a couple hiccups here and there, but all and all not even worth complaining about really.
on my Fire TV the scrolling is all jacked up and it doesn't show you who is playing on sports listings.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
The one thing I would really like, and maybe it is there I just don't know how to see it, it some sort of description of the TV show within the Guide. All I see is the title, and that's it. If I recall when using the Guide on a cable box, once you highlight a show you could click on it or expand or something to see the full description. I don't know if there is any option for that here.

on my Fire TV the scrolling is all jacked up and it doesn't show you who is playing on sports listings.

Hmm, that may have happened. I do recall being super turned off by the experience right away, so I just didn't spend much time with it. The sports listing I know I for sure didn't even look at before swapping over to the Roku.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
The delay in live events is a bummer too. I was just watching the NBA finals and the DirecTV Now stream was at least 5 minutes behind the live game.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I'm not sure what the point of streaming services is at the prices these things keep rocking.

I have to have cable for an ISP, and they have reduced all their prices on TV bundles so at this point its $40/mo for the 'big' tv package with hbo/starz/etc. over my internet service. Of course it's call every year or two to threaten to cancel but still.

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
Semi related to this thread, feel free to move if necessary. Have had cable forever, decided to try DirectTV Now and found it works enough for me. Anyone have any recommendations on a universal remote that works with TVs and Firesticks/boxes. Not even sure if that's a thing, way out of touch when it comes to universal remotes and streaming setups.

Ashenor

Golden Knight of the Realm
Tried Direct Now as it launched and it was horrible. Have 3 fire boxes in house already for Kodi. It's better now? I think i just got a email for a free month i will have to dig out and try if so.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Tried Direct Now as it launched and it was horrible. Have 3 fire boxes in house already for Kodi. It's better now? I think i just got a email for a free month i will have to dig out and try if so.
I'm having a much better experience using the Roku app than I did on Fire TV. The app looks pretty much identical, but it appears to be more responsive and I haven't had any real buffering in a while. As of now my single biggest complaint is that live sporting events are about 5 minutes behind the live game.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I'm having a much better experience using the Roku app than I did on Fire TV. The app looks pretty much identical, but it appears to be more responsive and I haven't had any real buffering in a while. As of now my single biggest complaint is that live sporting events are about 5 minutes behind the live game.
The Fire ecosystem just sucks from my experience. I hate mine.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
I want to cut my landline phone, anyone use one of these Google Voice gateways?

I actually set this up last month since the youngest kids are finally at the point they will be able to be home alone but still too young to justify a cell phone. I use this thing and pay $25 a year for 911 service that additionally sends a text to myself and other family members if 911 is dialed. Only took about 10 minutes to setup a gmail/voice account and configure it to the device. Just make sure to unlink the phone you used to setup google voice after setting up the Obi.

spronk

FPS noob
damn, cox just started implementing data caps in my area, 1TB/month. When I looked at my history I go over a few months of the year when I mass download 4k rips of everything. I guess that stops now :( They will start charging $10 for every extra 50GB.

pretty soon we're gonna go back to my 80s childhood, where people would copy everything to floppy and hand deliver each other the latest warez. The Handmaiden's Tale is real, except its married men who just want 4k streaming and rips being oppressed by ISPs

Actually the above is not un ironic, my parents and my wifes parents both have houses near us and they barely use their internet, I will probably download stuff at their houses and bring it back to mine over 2TB usb drives. lulz, its like pied piper

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
damn, cox just started implementing data caps in my area, 1TB/month. When I looked at my history I go over a few months of the year when I mass download 4k rips of everything. I guess that stops now :( They will start charging $10 for every extra 50GB.

pretty soon we're gonna go back to my 80s childhood, where people would copy everything to floppy and hand deliver each other the latest warez. The Handmaiden's Tale is real, except its married men who just want 4k streaming and rips being oppressed by ISPs

Actually the above is not un ironic, my parents and my wifes parents both have houses near us and they barely use their internet, I will probably download stuff at their houses and bring it back to mine over 2TB usb drives. lulz, its like pied piper
how many floppys would it take to put a single 4k movie rip?