Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
On another note: Disney+ news dropped today... holy shit. It's cheap ($7/mo), it's got a shit ton of decent-enough content, it'll get first-run disney-related movies first, and it'll launch Nov 19th.

Pescador

Trakanon Raider
I'll give Sling a look. Unfortunately it looks like streaming is turning into cable faster than I thought. Figured I would at least get a few years before things equalized.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
On another note: Disney+ news dropped today... holy shit. It's cheap ($7/mo), it's got a shit ton of decent-enough content, it'll get first-run disney-related movies first, and it'll launch Nov 19th.

Yeah at that price point I'll probably subscribe.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I want to make a Linux box as my server for plex and act as my personal Torrent box here. What's my best deal on a cheap box for that?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I want to make a Linux box as my server for plex and act as my personal Torrent box here. What's my best deal on a cheap box for that?

I picked up an old Dell T7500 workstation off of ebay for $175 and tossed a cheap SSD in it. Has been working flawlessly for the last year.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
I picked up an old Dell T7500 workstation off of ebay for $175 and tossed a cheap SSD in it. Has been working flawlessly for the last year.

+1
I got a used Dell from someone and slapped my movie drives in it. Plex works like a charm, even using Wake on LAN. Just required an extra setting change from my other PC. No issues waking up when any Plex client connects.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Not a bad idea but I'm wondering what my best choice for 4+ drives is? I think that Dell can only use two HDDs

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
The Dell I got could only take two drives, which is all I had. I used to have 4 but at one point I upgraded to 2 x 6TB drives to hold my movies.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I could also just limit the file size of the shows we have downloading and move out shows we don't watch
When it comes to TV and Movies, I have no interest in re-watching shit. I've been able to make use of a 2TB drive for years now by deleting shit that I've already watched. I also set Sonarr to only download SD (480p), which to most is crazy, but for me I don't give a shit. When I watch 1080p or 4k, I can tell, and it looks awesome, but I just don't care enough to do that for every show that I watch.

• 1Triggered
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
When it comes to TV and Movies, I have no interest in re-watching shit. I've been able to make use of a 2TB drive for years now by deleting shit that I've already watched. I also set Sonarr to only download SD (480p), which to most is crazy, but for me I don't give a shit. When I watch 1080p or 4k, I can tell, and it looks awesome, but I just don't care enough to do that for every show that I watch.
480p yikes. My wife would be ok with that but goddamn we live in 2019

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

480p yikes. My wife would be ok with that but goddamn we live in 2019
Yea, there's a few times where SD isn't available and I have to get 1080p or 720p, and I can tell it's better, but I don't know, never bothered me.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yea, there's a few times where SD isn't available and I have to get 1080p or 720p, and I can tell it's better, but I don't know, never bothered me.
I'm triggered enough already at the 480p stuff, but serious question here. You use Sonarr, so it is automatic. I assume you are rarely standing over the computer waiting for a show to finish so you can watch it, maybe something like GoT, but I also assume that your internet speed is relatively fast so a 300MB or 3GB file isn't much different in terms of how long you have to wait for it. You already said you delete them soon after watching. I also assume that you are either using Newsgroups where the size isn't that big of a concern, or a torrent site like IPT where ratio is retardedly easy to maintain.

So why are you purposely subjecting yourself to 480p? There is literally no downside to getting 1080p in your setup, unless I'm wrong about one of my assumptions. And even then, how wrong could I really be? If it is bandwidth for newsgroups...eat one less Angry Whopper a month or something and pay for more?

Really, I'm curious. I see no reason other than that you feel like it.

Crone

I'm triggered enough already at the 480p stuff, but serious question here. You use Sonarr, so it is automatic. I assume you are rarely standing over the computer waiting for a show to finish so you can watch it, maybe something like GoT, but I also assume that your internet speed is relatively fast so a 300MB or 3GB file isn't much different in terms of how long you have to wait for it. You already said you delete them soon after watching. I also assume that you are either using Newsgroups where the size isn't that big of a concern, or a torrent site like IPT where ratio is retardedly easy to maintain.

So why are you purposely subjecting yourself to 480p? There is literally no downside to getting 1080p in your setup, unless I'm wrong about one of my assumptions. And even then, how wrong could I really be? If it is bandwidth for newsgroups...eat one less Angry Whopper a month or something and pay for more?

Really, I'm curious. I see no reason other than that you feel like it.
Hard drive space. I do delete shows, but not immediately. 480p show is typically 300-400mb. A 1080p show can vary from a gig to 3gigs or more per episode.

You're not wrong though. With more aggressive deleting of content, I could just go with 1080p, but that's more work than I wanna put into it because that'd require just constantly going in and deleting shows.

This could be solved by picking up a couple 6 TB drives and I'd be set for life.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Hard drive space. I do delete shows, but not immediately. 480p show is typically 300-400mb. A 1080p show can vary from a gig to 3gigs or more per episode.

You're not wrong though. With more aggressive deleting of content, I could just go with 1080p, but that's more work than I wanna put into it because that'd require just constantly going in and deleting shows.

This could be solved by picking up a couple 6 TB drives and I'd be set for life.
man i just posted a 10tb deal for 145 monday

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
I rarely rewatch stuff but my wife will rewatch movies when nothing is on TV. My Plex server basically consists of our entire DVD collection and some home movies. I love not having a huge DVD rack with hundreds of disks on it :D It's about 5TB worth of stuff so I have two 6TB drives in RAID 1 because I'm paranoid.