Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

Oldbased

> Than U
The new Amazon cube and very new Fire Stick( better than cube imo ) have a additional feature called equipment control. The remote mimics remotes for thousands of devices so after about 2 minutes of programming you can tell it to switch inputs on your non smart TV to the cable box, ask it to bring up guides, change channels and whatnot by just telling it change channel to Syfy, it will automatically change the channel to that and inputs even if needed to show it. All this on cable boxs and tvs that are NOT smart devices. It is one tiny remote to control everything no matter how ancient it is. While it is push to activate, many are still concerned with privacy. It is 2018 however so unless you are living in a unpowered cabin off the grid that is buried 300 meters or more deep, you are a fool if you thought you had any to begin with.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Fully cut now. Only use Netflix (and Hulu for a year at $12 total) and Plex. Finally cancelled psvue because they kept raising prices in $5 increments every few months. Started at $29.99 and ended at $45 after a year or so of being with them. Don't miss it at all

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Question for you Plex users, hoping someone can help out.

My brother in law uses my library to watch all of their content. So if they need something I will just download it for them to watch. However, for some reason certain movies aren't showing up, specifically documentaries. I have a folder just for documentaries (Blue Planet, OJ Simpson, Waco, The Dawn Wall, etc.) and he doesn't see any of them. I tried moving one of the files into the Movies folder, and he still doesn't see it.

I can't figure for the life of me what it could be. I have searched on the Plex forums a bit and couldn't seem to find a similar issue posted.

Anyone run into this or have any ideas?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Question for you Plex users, hoping someone can help out.

My brother in law uses my library to watch all of their content. So if they need something I will just download it for them to watch. However, for some reason certain movies aren't showing up, specifically documentaries. I have a folder just for documentaries (Blue Planet, OJ Simpson, Waco, The Dawn Wall, etc.) and he doesn't see any of them. I tried moving one of the files into the Movies folder, and he still doesn't see it.

I can't figure for the life of me what it could be. I have searched on the Plex forums a bit and couldn't seem to find a similar issue posted.

Anyone run into this or have any ideas?
It is 100% your file and folder naming scheme. Post one and I will use it as an example to show you how to fix it.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
It is 100% your file and folder naming scheme. Post one and I will use it as an example to show you how to fix it.
Post what, my folder naming scheme?

1543853125650.png

Last edited:

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Go to Account, under Family and Friends select Sharing. Find your Brother in Law's account and select the edit pencil. Under My Servers, check which libraries are being shared. More than likely Documentaries is missing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
My cord has been cut for over a year now. More or less. I only have internet from Comcast. My current job gives me their full TV service over Roku/ipad/wherever. I have Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Netflix as well, so I have plenty of shit to watch at all times. I could easily drop my cable if I ever left the company. While I enjoy On Demand, I can get all of the same online for free elsewhere.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
No, the actual documentary folders. Pick one that isn’t working and paste the folder and file name.

An Inconvenient Truth (1999)\An Inconvenient Truth (1999).mkv
Like this?

F:\Documentary\The Dawn Wall (2017).mkv

Just to make sure I am clear with the issue. I actually moved that specific file to the Movies folder, and he was still unable to see it. However, I can see it in my Plex no matter where I put it.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Like this?

F:\Documentary\The Dawn Wall (2017).mkv

Just to make sure I am clear with the issue. I actually moved that specific file to the Movies folder, and he was still unable to see it. However, I can see it in my Plex no matter where I put it.
Oh I thought you couldn’t see it no matter what.

Let me think about it.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Oh I thought you couldn’t see it no matter what.

Let me think about it.
Okay thanks. Sorry I may not have clarified my post very well.

I can see everything in my documentary folder, he can't see anything. I checked the folder permissions and he has permissions to view them all. And as a last test step, I moved one of the files into the Movies folder to see if he could see it, and it still wouldn't show up for him.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Anybody running an HDHomeRun or AirTV or something of the sort that takes an OTA antenna input and outputs it digitally to all the devices in the house? I'm moving to a new house soon and would be thrilled if I could forgo putting cable drops in all of the rooms.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Anybody running an HDHomeRun or AirTV or something of the sort that takes an OTA antenna input and outputs it digitally to all the devices in the house? I'm moving to a new house soon and would be thrilled if I could forgo putting cable drops in all of the rooms.

I'm using the hdhomerun prime cable card tuner that's networked. Using Nvidia shield tv for the clients. The prime has worked flawlessly since I got it several years ago.

Silicondust has a dvr you can subscribe too for $35 a year but since your doing OTA, you can use any number of free DVRs. They also have a streaming service which is $35 a month I think. Not sure of the exact line up but you can intergrate the OTA tuner into it. I think though you're required to sub to the DVR service for their streaming service.

I use their DVR and have it running on my NAS. It's very light weight. No grid guide in their app if that matters to you.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Okay thanks. Sorry I may not have clarified my post very well.

I can see everything in my documentary folder, he can't see anything. I checked the folder permissions and he has permissions to view them all. And as a last test step, I moved one of the files into the Movies folder to see if he could see it, and it still wouldn't show up for him.
Might be some odd settings in there with ratings?

part 1.png

part 2.png

Is there anything in those boxes at all?

Do they show up if he uses the search function but just doesn't show up on the normal dashboard for recently added?

Is your library set to scan regularly for changes?

part 3.png

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I had some movies that wouldn't show up no matter what I did. Had to redownload new copies. Best I could figure was maybe it was some metadata.

Any chance he's using PS4 Plex? They recently updated it and it has like a 0% approval rating

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Okay so I went in and checked the restrictions, and there were a bunch in there that it was blocking. Like NC17, Unrated, etc. So I am assuming that the Documentaries were falling under one of those categories. So I just unchecked it to have everything allowed.

He will check when he gets home from work to see if that fixed it.

I'll let you know if it worked.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Okay so I went in and checked the restrictions, and there were a bunch in there that it was blocking. Like NC17, Unrated, etc. So I am assuming that the Documentaries were falling under one of those categories. So I just unchecked it to have everything allowed.

He will check when he gets home from work to see if that fixed it.

I'll let you know if it worked.
Documentaries are quite frequently “Unrated” because they have no rating.