Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Never seems to be a problem with movies. And despite what you're downloading, are you sure it's playing the original source on your Plex server, or is Plex transcoding it down to then play it? Probably original, since you said you are hard wired, but might be worth checking.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Mr. K Mr. K

There are a number of things that can be causing it, but in general you want to make sure that your receiver is receiving a "direct" input and outputting it as is. Many many many people use something like a "Cinema" setting on their receiver (because they don't know any better, and assume it is the right thing to be doing), which jacks up certain audio ranges and reduces others to supposedly give you a better "movie" experience. If you have your speakers set up correctly and at least did the basic calibration where you put a microphone in your viewing spot and it generates sounds one speaker at a time and then adjusts volumes to make it so you hear them all at the appropriate levels, you should never have to use a pre-made sound profile. It should be recorded properly and output properly "as is" without any of that extra fluff. I'm not saying that every movie actually is done properly, because they aren't, but in theory that's how it should work. I always laugh when some salesman tries to sell me on the 47 sound profiles that I will never use.

If you've done all of that, and certain movies are still coming out with the dialogue too quiet, you should be able to just jack up the center channel a bit until the voices are loud enough, since that's where almost all dialogue is output.

I just realized that you never actually said what your speaker setup was. Do you have separate speakers, or are you playing sound through the TV? If separate speakers, what I said above should apply. If through the TV, still turn off any post-processing in the receiver, but then manually adjust the center channel to be higher, and it should bump it up when it is all combined together and pushed through the TV speakers.

If none of that works, or doesn't apply to your setup, post more specifics and we'll try to help.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
So I decided to get YouTube Live. Updating all my TVs to make sure they can accommodate it and if they don't, upgrade them. Since I have fiber, I am looking into a gigabit switch. Is the general consensus Mikrotik and Ubiquiti? I'm looking to have ~5-8 ports.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
So I decided to get YouTube Live. Updating all my TVs to make sure they can accommodate it and if they don't, upgrade them. Since I have fiber, I am looking into a gigabit switch. Is the general consensus Mikrotik and Ubiquiti? I'm looking to have ~5-8 ports.

If all you’re gonna have is a switch to connect devices, any brand name simple switch will be fine.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You just need to expand the number of wired ports you have? Then you can go with any un-managed mini switch and be fine. Plug and play. I assume you'll still have a home router, and modem, etc?

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
You just need to expand the number of wired ports you have? Then you can go with any un-managed mini switch and be fine. Plug and play. I assume you'll still have a home router, and modem, etc?

AT&T Fiber provides a modem/router gateway. But, I do have a Netgear Nighthawk that I can use to put downstairs to expand the network. So, to answer your question, yes, just to expand the number of wired ports.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, no point in spending a lot of money if you just need a switch. And just buy another one in a few years if it happens to go bad (which it probably won't). Netgear makes decent cheap switches, since you have a Netgear already, but the brand really doesn't matter. You already know about the gigabit part, so that's all you really need to pay attention to.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Why not just get something like an Orbi and go full Wifi?

If I have the choice between having a stationary device on WiFi vs Ethernet, I will choose Ethernet every time. WiFi May have become more reliable, but I would still classify Ethernet as the most reliable.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
If I have the choice between having a stationary device on WiFi vs Ethernet, I will choose Ethernet every time. WiFi May have become more reliable, but I would still classify Ethernet as the most reliable.
Sure, but running ethernet cables everywhere can also be a pain in the ass. I was hesitant to switch to WiFi, but since I got the Orbi I have had zero connectivity problems in my house.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Sure, but running ethernet cables everywhere can also be a pain in the ass. I was hesitant to switch to WiFi, but since I got the Orbi I have had zero connectivity problems in my house.

The environment is a factor as well. Yeah running Ethernet ain’t easy, but in say an apartment where you’re surrounded by everyone with Wifi, that can be a problem as well.

• 1Like

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Cut the cord this week. YouTube TV (and Frndly for wife to have Hallmark) for about $55 a month. 100/100 fiber for $45. So paying $100 a month now as opposed to $145 a month for internet and cable. Feels good man

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Literally just subscribed a week ago, this sucks... Really has an effect on regional MLB, NBA, and NHL coverage.

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
Literally just subscribed a week ago, this sucks... Really has an effect on regional MLB, NBA, and NHL coverage.

It's funny because all I want is a $25 service that only does sports and I'd be good.

• 1Solidarity

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just went to cancel Hulu. I got 3 months free with my Roku, and I had to press cancel four times. It took to me to four different pages that I had to press cancel on. Just wtf is that bullshit. I guess it's better than them trying to make me call them to cancel.

AT&T launched their streaming service. If they aren't bankrupt in 10 years, I'll be surprised.

• 1Solidarity