Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Chrome, on a 1080p 60hz screen. I looked into settings for Youtube, but didn't see anything. Might look into what Dom was saying. Honestly, I'm terrible, and couldn't tell a difference in the videos I was watching the difference between 720p, and forcing it to 1080p. Lol. I could tell it was bad quality, but just not a difference when I bumped it up.

I need to look into a 1080p 144hz new secondary screen anyway. I'd like to match the 27" size of my main display, but not sure how 27" 1080p would work out.

Edit: Just tested Twitch, and it'll automatically go 1080p60 (Source) on any stream that supports it.

Are you certain the resolution is set to 1080p and not 720p? Videos will usually play in 1080p even though the display is lesser.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Are you certain the resolution is set to 1080p and not 720p? Videos will usually play in 1080p even though the display is lesser.
Yep, confirmed it's set to 1080p resolution. Not bad thoughts though.

Crone

Youtube settings > Playback and performance > Always prefer AV1. That seems to force higher res.
Out of town, on 5down/5up hotel internet, and my Youtube videos auto stream at 1080p , but at home, on gig internet, they won't auto go past 720p. WTF?

I didn't get a chance to try your settings 3301, before going out of town, but might try it at home.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Out of town, on 5down/5up hotel internet, and my Youtube videos auto stream at 1080p , but at home, on gig internet, they won't auto go past 720p. WTF?

I didn't get a chance to try your settings 3301, before going out of town, but might try it at home.

If you pay for YouTube you can always contact their support. Probably even get a 1 or 2 months refund for your trouble.

moosa

<Banned>
Anyone know of a good alternative to Plex? It has been a shitshow lately, chopping up on a hardwired 4k Apple TV and a Firestick and I'm about done trying to troubleshoot the constant "Connection not fast enough" error. I'm reading about Emby a bit but was wondering if anyone used it?
I know a service that has over 12,000 movies and 2500 TV shows and it is not Plex or Emby. It costs $6 usd/month. Contact me if you would like more info

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I'm moving off Plex.

Last night I lost internet connection and, even though my Plex server was running successfully, I couldn't access my server on the internal network because it the clients couldn't connect to MyPlex. Fuck this company. They used to be cool, but now they're narcs.

Does Emby do this same shit?

Crone

I'm moving off Plex.

Last night I lost internet connection and, even though my Plex server was running successfully, I couldn't access my server on the internal network because it the clients couldn't connect to MyPlex. Fuck this company. They used to be cool, but now they're narcs.

Does Emby do this same shit?
I've had a lot of problems lately with that shit. WTF is happening with them?

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
So, now that I am no longer using AirBNB to host my downstairs, I am planning on getting rid of Comcast altogether since it is way too expensive. I have Smart TVs in all my rooms, so just curious to know what I should get. I really just watch the basics NBC, Fox, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, Showtime, Starz, Food, HGTV, and AMC. We do enjoy watching live TV, so how does streaming work with that?

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
So, now that I am no longer using AirBNB to host my downstairs, I am planning on getting rid of Comcast altogether since it is way too expensive. I have Smart TVs in all my rooms, so just curious to know what I should get. I really just watch the basics NBC, Fox, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, Showtime, Starz, Food, HGTV, and AMC. We do enjoy watching live TV, so how does streaming work with that?

Legal streaming isn't worth it anymore unless you split the cost between two people. YouTube TV is the best way to go about it right now. You get 6 streams and can "share" with family.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I personally use an HD antenna with Tablo to record OTA stuff (your local networks like ABC CBS Fox etc) and sling for your general cable networks (which quite frankly I wouldn't even bother with if not for family). It works reasonably well, though you can sometimes have antenna problems.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I personally use an HD antenna with Tablo to record OTA stuff (your local networks like ABC CBS Fox etc) and sling for your general cable networks (which quite frankly I wouldn't even bother with if not for family). It works reasonably well, though you can sometimes have antenna problems.

Unfortunately, I'm in kind of mountainous regions so I checked the dtv.gov maps and looks like I would only get about 4 channels. The only channel being KQED/PBS, lol.

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
Decided to give Plex another go and download the occasional movie. I stream from my hardwired computer to my hardwired LG TV with the Plex app. Sound is 5.1 through my Denon receiver. I feel like there are a lot of instances where the dialogue is really quiet while the sound effect stuff is very loud. Is there a setting to fix this?

Crone

Decided to give Plex another go and download the occasional movie. I stream from my hardwired computer to my hardwired LG TV with the Plex app. Sound is 5.1 through my Denon receiver. I feel like there are a lot of instances where the dialogue is really quiet while the sound effect stuff is very loud. Is there a setting to fix this?
Others can probably chime in with more knowledge, but that is entirely based on the audio quality of the movie file you downloaded. As most know, I'm an SD whore around here, as in 480p or bust for me on TV shows, and at that quality I notice it all the time. :)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
Others can probably chime in with more knowledge, but that is entirely based on the audio quality of the movie file you downloaded. As most know, I'm an SD whore around here, as in 480p or bust for me on TV shows, and at that quality I notice it all the time. :)

Appreciate the response, I'm downloading 1080p with 5.1 rips (around 10gb). It seems to be an issue with Plex, I just never see a good way to fix it.