Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Go visit your local gun store and look at the empty shelves. The governors are really treading on thin ice with this.

Yeah even GrabaGun is looking lean.

Wolf had to ease up some today in PA. He had to revise the definition of life-sustaining. Pressure from legions of buisness owners and licensed professionals, no doubt.

So there's some hope that a balance can be achieved--but in time to mitigate virus and allow for productivity? I dunno.

The thing is, even if PA and IL and NY and CA and WA achieve some sort of equilibrium, what about all the states that are screwing around? I don't think this can be swiss-cheesed. It'll just cause another wave of outbreak by the end of spring.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah even GrabaGun is looking lean.

Wolf had to ease up some today in PA. He had to revise the definition of life-sustaining. Pressure from legions of buisness owners and licensed professionals, no doubt.

So there's some hope that a balance can be achieved--but in time to mitigate virus and allow for productivity? I dunno.

The thing is, even if PA and IL and NY and CA and WA achieve some sort of equilibrium, what about all the states that are screwing around? I don't think this can be swiss-cheesed. It'll just cause another wave of outbreak by the end of spring.
My business supports NYC departments (NYPD, DSNY, MTA etc) so we are considering ourselves essential. But no one really knows. They just come up with this shit on the fly and get on tv. There aren't any real substantive details. Just "essential". They will "fine business not obeying". Um ok. Good luck enforcing that fine. I honestly think this is a play to try to get as many business owners as possible to obey willingly on the threat alone.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This is pretty big in the petrochemical world. They normally don't even reduce staff/workforce during hurricanes and instead shut in. Same with the nuke plants.

Wasn't that the one that caught on fire and closed for a while? Also we have a glut of crude so probably can ease off refining without a huge impact.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
They had a fire but they never shut down. Exxon in BR is not just a refinery. It's refinery/chem plant adjacent to each other along with 2 other speciality plants. The refinery produces the power to support the chem plant. Any extra power they sell off to the local utility company. Operators would be in the worst position if something happened. Most of them are in one or two room small office on site for that process and sit next to each other all shift. Maybe 2-6 people.

But yeah they can slack on refining, right now would be the changeover process from winter to summer blend. Last month and this month is turnaround season when all the projets for maintenance and line changes are scheduled years in advance. I would think it's going to take a while to get whatever they were working on shutdown enough to walk off it. I haven't talked to anyone but I could find out easily, I imagine when this started they were already shutting down some lines for turnarounds and partially thru them now.

Shutdowns and start ups always the least safe shit on site.

Other news.

The paper mill off Highway 61 produces both Brawney paper towels and Quilted Northern toilet paper. Since the run on toilet paper, the mill has stepped up production on the toilet paper side by 120% just to keep up with demand.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
In the past 72 hours the following people I know have let it be known they have been laid off:

Retail. Customer service. Optometrist. Lawyer. Production Designer. Teacher. Seafood Importer. Accountant. Cameraman. Surveyor/GIS analyst. Dentist. Office Products Distributor. Insurance adjuster.

These are not some random people I heard about, these are all people I personally know...who have been in my house. I've seen some as recently as last weekend for one of our now-on-hiatus movie nights!

These are people who had stable incomes, people who have mortgages and expenses. The best off are the couple who were living with one set of parents as they built a nest egg for a big downpayment on a new house. The worst don't know how they will be able to make ends meet without going into immediate credit card debt.

Yes it is important to slow the progress of a disease that could kill a lot of people, but not at the cost of eradicating society.

Lawyers? I don't think so--

"On Friday, he was taken to New York-Presbyterian Queens after showing potential symptoms of coronavirus — but was sent home the same day and told to isolate himself as doctors waited for his test results, which eventually came back positive for the deadly bug, the sources said.

His wife called the hospital Sunday when his health began to deteriorate, the sources said.

Torres died Wednesday in his Jackson Heights apartment just after 5:45 p.m., according to sources.

It was unclear why Torres had not been admitted to the hospital after his wife’s plea for treatment. The Torres family attorney is asserting gross negligence on the hospital. Torres’ wife could not immediately be reached for comment."

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Part time doc at the wife’s practice was furloughed today. Shit is about to get real real fast.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Cause if a private practice doesn’t have any money coming in they can’t pay them.

Hmmm... interesting. Are people even afraid of going to a doctor's office with other ailments because of this pandemic? It's not like the presence of COVID-19 cancels all other sickness and injury.

Though I guess not going anywhere or socializing prevents a lot of that other sickness and injury.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hmmm... interesting. Are people even afraid of going to a doctor's office with other ailments because of this pandemic? It's not like the presence of COVID-19 cancels all other sickness and injury.

Though I guess not going anywhere or socializing prevents a lot of that other sickness and injury.
Insurance claims for visits go out. Insurance companies billing is running on a skeleton crew/closed or are just dicks. Claims get processed slowly, cash stream back to the practice goes to shit.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
They had a fire but they never shut down. Exxon in BR is not just a refinery. It's refinery/chem plant adjacent to each other along with 2 other speciality plants. The refinery produces the power to support the chem plant. Any extra power they sell off to the local utility company. Operators would be in the worst position if something happened. Most of them are in one or two room small office on site for that process and sit next to each other all shift. Maybe 2-6 people.

But yeah they can slack on refining, right now would be the changeover process from winter to summer blend. Last month and this month is turnaround season when all the projets for maintenance and line changes are scheduled years in advance. I would think it's going to take a while to get whatever they were working on shutdown enough to walk off it. I haven't talked to anyone but I could find out easily, I imagine when this started they were already shutting down some lines for turnarounds and partially thru them now.

Shutdowns and start ups always the least safe shit on site.

Other news.

The paper mill off Highway 61 produces both Brawney paper towels and Quilted Northern toilet paper. Since the run on toilet paper, the mill has stepped up production on the toilet paper side by 120% just to keep up with demand.
Cool stuff. All I know about Exxon is my XOM stock is down about 25%.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Insurance claims for visits go out. Insurance companies billing is running on a skeleton crew/closed or are just dicks. Claims get processed slowly, cash stream back to the practice goes to shit.

Heh, private insurance failing consumers and shutting down when it's needed the most. Nice.

• 2Like
  • 1RAGE
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Brother works at WB Mason and estimated half of their entire workforce was furloughed today
This is the reaction to enforced paid sick time without cutting the payroll tax to compensate for the lost money.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Our world operates on cash flows.

• 1Like