Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
A Coronavirus Explosion Was Expected in Japan. Where Is It?

But as of March 18, Japan has only had a little more than 900 confirmed cases -- excluding the cruise ship. The U.S., France and Germany were all above 7,000 cases and Italy was nearing 36,000. Neighbor South Korea, which tested aggressively amid a surge of confirmed infections from late February, was at about 8,500 cases but its new infections are now tapering off.

Nothings closed, no lockdown, yet minimal cases. Could be luck and about to get hammered but still.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The USA falls somewhere in the middle of all of this. Our major failing being lack of testing kits to effectively target quarantine and isolation efforts and a complete lack of support for our first line of defense, healthcare. Instead electing to flail at the wind by closing schools and other low risk institutions first and foremost while our politicians and leaders play the blame game and fight about whether or not it's racist to call it "Wuhan" or "Chinese" Coronavirus. 2 very big words.
So we've effectively taken a "worst of both worlds" approach, where we've shut down the economy but haven't actually managed to contain the virus in any way.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Turn around on insurance claims has slowed to a snails pace, so they are asking all the docs in the practice to take a 50% pay cut until shit normalizes.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Turn around on insurance claims has slowed to a snails pace, so they are asking all the docs in the practice to take a 50% pay cut until shit normalizes.

We're going to have to start extending zero-cost working capital to hospitals and just cut out insurance. The consumables and overtime alone are going to be insane and no one's going to keep up on billing.

• 1Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
PA Governor has ordered all non-life-sustaining business to close. It will be enforced this time. Philly is not excluded

We're walking a dangerous line with this.

"It will be enforced this time" is particularly ominous.

I don't think the American populace will put up with this for too long. Sure, we're mostly all willing to take a slight hit for the greater good. But I doubt many Americans are willing to commit economic suicide on a grand scale on direct orders from their 'superiors'. That's just not a very American thing to do.

The ivory tower types need to be careful they don't try to go too far with this for too long.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
We're walking a dangerous line with this.

"It will be enforced this time" is particularly ominous.

I don't think the American populace will put up with this for too long. Sure, we're mostly all willing to take a slight hit for the greater good. But I doubt many Americans are willing to commit economic suicide on a grand scale on direct orders from their 'superiors'. That's just not a very American thing to do.

The ivory tower types need to be careful they don't try to go too far with this for too long.

It's hard to imagine politicians being so clueless about the country and citizens they are charged with leading that they believed a voluntary quarantine would just work. So they instituted half measure after half measure and kept shifting the goal posts as people shifted where they were congregating until we found ourselves here. And now they HAVE to go all in otherwise they gambled with American jobs and livelihoods for absolutely no reason. And going all in is unlikely to work as well, because we need a cure fast as a full shutdown is unsustainable.

Once again we as citizens are tasked with sacrificing freedoms, bearing the brunt of economic meltdown and expected to accept the failings of government. All while test kits apparently could have been in production all this time and the mass shutdowns completely avoided had our government just done its fucking job. I honestly can't tell if this is incompetence, or if this is political protection of corporate interests because money talks and greed has no remorse. It's probably a mix of both.

The American people have been failed, and heads should roll. But something tells me people are going to toe party lines and fuel the bottomless chasm that partisan politics has become. After all our President is nothing more than a talking head TV personality with no political experience who thinks he's doing a good job with this unmitigated disaster. And the entire democratic party is filled with cowards who prefer fear mongering and hand-wringing to policy creation and actual political reform. We have no good options.

• 7Like
  • 5Solidarity
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 12 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
In the past 72 hours the following people I know have let it be known they have been laid off:

Retail. Customer service. Optometrist. Lawyer. Production Designer. Teacher. Seafood Importer. Accountant. Cameraman. Surveyor/GIS analyst. Dentist. Office Products Distributor. Insurance adjuster.

These are not some random people I heard about, these are all people I personally know...who have been in my house. I've seen some as recently as last weekend for one of our now-on-hiatus movie nights!

These are people who had stable incomes, people who have mortgages and expenses. The best off are the couple who were living with one set of parents as they built a nest egg for a big downpayment on a new house. The worst don't know how they will be able to make ends meet without going into immediate credit card debt.

Yes it is important to slow the progress of a disease that could kill a lot of people, but not at the cost of eradicating society.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

ver_21

Molten Core Raider

Yeah I don't see how this can go for much longer than the rest of March. Also, what the heck is the "all clear" going to be?

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
Yeah I don't see how this can go for much longer than the rest of March. Also, what the heck is the "all clear" going to be?

This is my concern. What is the all clear? They've framed this in a way that we even need to focus on keeping the curve down over 6-18 months, or eradicate the virus completely. So with that when is this going to end? We know the virus isn't going to be gone by the end of March, and I highly doubt we will have hit peak cases by then. The economy can't sustain this for months and months.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Reminder to keep theory crafting and predicting the future to the other thread, continues to be fine to share personal experience related to virus and shutdown.

• 2Dislike
  • 1Repost
Reactions: 2 users

Arative

Vyemm Raider
In the past 72 hours the following people I know have let it be known they have been laid off:

Retail. Customer service. Optometrist. Lawyer. Production Designer. Teacher. Seafood Importer. Accountant. Cameraman. Surveyor/GIS analyst. Dentist. Office Products Distributor. Insurance adjuster.

These are not some random people I heard about, these are all people I personally know...who have been in my house. I've seen some as recently as last weekend for one of our now-on-hiatus movie nights!

These are people who had stable incomes, people who have mortgages and expenses. The best off are the couple who were living with one set of parents as they built a nest egg for a big downpayment on a new house. The worst don't know how they will be able to make ends meet without going into immediate credit card debt.

Yes it is important to slow the progress of a disease that could kill a lot of people, but not at the cost of eradicating society.

How was a teacher laid off? They have contracts unless it was a college professor I guess, I don't know if they have contracts.

My wife is a teacher, she has a contract, she's being paid, even doing lesson plans from home to send out to her kids.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
How was a teacher laid off? They have contracts unless it was a college professor I guess, I don't know if they have contracts.

My wife is a teacher, she has a contract, she's being paid, even doing lesson plans from home to send out to her kids.

She's a Perceptor (what Harvard calls their adjuncts because Harvard). I was most shocked by the seafood business until they reminded me that all their fish is sourced from Canada and elsewhere and is no longer coming in. You would think they could find a way to pivot and make use of locally produced fish, but apparently not. Same sort of thing with the office supplies distributor. Surely an enterprising company could pivot their warehouses and fleet of delivery vehicles to transport and distribute something else... but nope they just shut down instead.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Surely an enterprising company could pivot their warehouses and fleet of delivery vehicles to transport and distribute something else...

Someone else was already transporting that stuff, and that stuff is no longer being made or sold any more.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

With the spanky new law they passed, you don't have to pay mandatory sick pay for people who no longer work for you. What the fuck did they think was going to happen. Businesses are cutting bodies left and right to avoid going bankrupt paying people to be sick. Its a survival thing at this point.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users