Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Behind a paywall, sorry.

Edit : OK try going there via the Twitter link. No paywall for some reason.

if this is the case how do we not execute most leaders and media (after legal tribunals)?

edit: wrong virus thread - jfc we might as well merge threads at this point

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
if this is the case how do we not execute most leaders and media (after legal tribunals)?

edit: wrong virus thread - jfc we might as well merge threads at this point
Numbers today in NY, with still a small amount tested show us in the 1% fatality range. As testing finds much greater number of cases the denominator increases and the fatality ratio comes down.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Wife told me they think they will have there first death tonight or tomorrow, guy just barely hanging on. Her hospital is still very much in the manageable level of outbreak. Lots and lots of testing but still not very man needing hospital care.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>

So now Azithromycin (safe in everybody and was a great, cheap, antibiotic) is now unobtainable and super-expensive.

Also; NY will need 30,000 ventilators. Cuomo, rightfully stated ""When we went to war we didn't say, 'Any company out there want to build a battleship?'"

So Trump Responded that New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo "should be buying the ventilators his state needs to treat coronavirus patients rather than relying on the federal government."

Trump's remarks during a Fox News interview Monday come just hours after Cuomo issued a plea for more help from the federal government, one of several state leaders who says they still lack equipment necessary to fight the pandemic.

"He's supposed to be buying his own ventilators," Trump said.

what an ass... Good luck, America. NYC is the test case for what is to come for every city in America.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
igarthy said:
what an ass... Good luck, America. NYC is the test case for what is to come for every city in America.

I grew up around Philadelphia, and I will always love its dirty smelly corrupt quirks and all the good people and food and sports and all else that comes with it.

For a man who has spent nearly all his life in orbit of NYC to turn his back on it is unfathomable to me.

Pops

So now Azithromycin (safe in everybody and was a great, cheap, antibiotic) is now unobtainable and super-expensive.

Also; NY will need 30,000 ventilators. Cuomo, rightfully stated ""When we went to war we didn't say, 'Any company out there want to build a battleship?'"

So Trump Responded that New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo "should be buying the ventilators his state needs to treat coronavirus patients rather than relying on the federal government."

Trump's remarks during a Fox News interview Monday come just hours after Cuomo issued a plea for more help from the federal government, one of several state leaders who says they still lack equipment necessary to fight the pandemic.

"He's supposed to be buying his own ventilators," Trump said.

Fuck them.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure hydroxychloroquine can be made by the bucketload for pennies.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
For those who have yet not been made aware...we at the hospital are now required to wear only one mask per shift unless visibly soiled. That is 8-16 hours. One mask. We have to fold it and place it outside a patient's room in a paper bag with our name on it. N95s are locked up. PAPR shields which used to not be cleanable are now "cleanable" due to not having stock. Entire wings in the hospitals are filled with PUI (person under investigation) while the ICU beds are filled with proned Covid patients.

They are now finding out that Covid-19 is in fecal matter, too. So that food you are eating from people? Hope they washed their hands. =P

If you are hoarding a stash of masks, please go take them to the hospital.

We're now doing a similar thing with the paper bags only adapted for the EMS world.

Also, we no longer are providing N-95 masks to anyone at the beginning of their shifts. I'm sorry to say, but I absolutely knew this was going to happen even if I didn't say it here.

Part of the problem is that in our initial reaction to this, we were telling crews to wear masks WAY more often than normal. So they did. So now we are at a critical inventory of them.

So now, instead of having a mask on-hand (we used to stock 4 on each ambulance, we now stock 0) we are asking crews to make a clinical judgement call on whether or not they suspect the patient might have COVID. If they think the answer is yes, they then leave the scene and drive back to base, get 2 masks, and then go back to the scene and run the call. After that, they are to put the mask in a paper bag, label it with their name, and then re-use that mask for the remainder of their shift and then dispose of it. The alternative is that a supervisor drives out to their location and gives them the two masks they need. That sounds good, but in practical reality the Supervisors are also stretched to the max and this part is going to happen less than %5 of the time.

We have been using so many cleaning supplies over the last 2 weeks that we are also at critical level on those as well. We are now watering down some of them, literally, otherwise we will run out completely.

We do, however, apparently have a large stash of toilet paper (commercial grade) at our main base. Thank pharmakos's Deity.

One of our ambulances had their N-95 masks stolen out of it while it was at rest in a parking lot at a nursing home while the crew was inside retrieving a patient. Rumors have it that this has also happened at least once to one of our competitors as well. The ghouls are starting to target the ambulances for supplies.

On the bright side, the Company has issued a new policy that allows people to use a deficit of Paid Time Off. This allows people to take time off of work, go into the negative, and still get paid at %100, however they are borrowing from the bank and any deficit PTO they have accrued will need to be paid back on a later date as time worked.

Also anyone who comes to work but also has child-care issues on that same day will be given a additional stipend of $50 a day. They said that they know that this doesn't fully cover the expense but that they hope it helps.

Overtime, interestingly, has not been approved for any of the regular road crews but has been approved across the board for all non-exempt members of the leadership team.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Goatface

my little town just had it 1st positive test, local nursing home has still been using traveling therapists. chick that apparently travels all over the state tested positive after failing the temp test when leaving the building.
so far no one else is showing symptoms

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>

Not any more-- that's not the American way. Big pharma will now charge a FORTUNE for it. It's happening already with Azithromycin. And it happens regularly with simple drugs like Epi-pens (used to be $1.25, now almost $600). And colchicine- used to be pennies, now over $300...

Pretty sure the government could have made millions of test-kits for COVID-19. Jesus Christ, Singapore did and they still have ZERO deaths from it (and they were hit second after China). WHY? Their government was the single source of testing and information regarding the disease and took immediate, definitive action. We were told it was all a Democratic propaganda campaign and we were told that the cases would be “pretty soon at only five people. And we could be at just one or two people over the next short period of time. So we’ve had very good luck.”

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Not any more-- that's not the American way. Big pharma will now charge a FORTUNE for it. It's happening already with Azithromycin. And it happens regularly with simple drugs like Epi-pens (used to be $1.25, now almost $600). And colchicine- used to be pennies, now over $300...

Pretty sure the government could have made millions of test-kits for COVID-19. Jesus Christ, Singapore did and they still have ZERO deaths from it (and they were hit second after China). WHY? Their government was the single source of testing and information regarding the disease and took immediate, definitive action. We were told it was all a Democratic propaganda campaign and we were told that the cases would be “pretty soon at only five people. And we could be at just one or two people over the next short period of time. So we’ve had very good luck.”

Shut up faggot. Also just a flu.

• 1Salty

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
my little town just had it 1st positive test, local nursing home has still been using traveling therapists. chick that apparently travels all over the state tested positive after failing the temp test when leaving the building.
so far no one else is showing symptoms

typhoid mary =/

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>

I can't imagine what it must be like to be this subservient to authority to be as pissed off about this as you are.

Imagine what it must be like to think that centralized planning is some sort of desirable outcome at the mere expense of your own life. The amount of sheer slave-mentality panic submission is nauseating to me.

Live free or die.

• 5Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 5 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
By the way, I am still totally on board with the general idea of social distancing and I am doing my best to limit it to the extent of my ability.

But It needs to be said that I am not doing this because someone commanded me to. I am doing this because I have been blessed with enough information to make an informed decision.

I voted for Trump in 2016 and will likely do so again in 2020, but at no point during any of this have I looked to him for guidance. I also never recall asking him what brand of car I should buy.

I know for a fact that I know more about cars and viruses than he does. Why would I put my neck on his chopping block one way or the other? Whether he chooses to swing the axe or not is irrelevant. My neck simply won't be on the block. Not for him anyway. Not his block. Maybe I'd do such a thing for my family but even then it will not take any level of authority to get my head to lay on that chopping block.

No level of authority can force my head onto the chopping block. Only sheer naked force can do that. If my head is on the chopping block it is either because I placed it there willingly for the sake of my family or because Stalin's NKVD stormed into my bedroom in the middle of the night and caught me off my guard.

• 4Picard
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 4 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I mean I agree that most places will be fine if business just gets back to normal, but this island is completely toast. Lots of business are going to go tits up this year. My store does 30k+ a week this time of year. This week we will be sub 10k. A lot of that money gets set aside for the second half of the year where we have no tourism and little business, there is going to be no money to set aside. Things opening back up won't bring back the tourists until next year. Nevermind servers at restaurants going from completely full all night to being lucky to work and get 2 tables. The island is covered in resorts. Places that would have 400 people right now have less than 20.

Most of the world will recover though

You need to look into your insurance plan, I know a restaurant that is claiming loss of income due to an act of god, or something. Also the Feds Stimulus package is meant to help businesses exactly like what you're describing.

For 2-6T every person & business better be taken care of.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
By the way, I am still totally on board with the general idea of social distancing and I am doing my best to limit it to the extent of my ability.

But It needs to be said that I am not doing this because someone commanded me to. I am doing this because I have been blessed with enough information to make an informed decision.

I voted for Trump in 2016 and will likely do so again in 2020, but at no point during any of this have I looked to him for guidance. I also never recall asking him what brand of car I should buy.

I know for a fact that I know more about cars and viruses than he does. Why would I put my neck on his chopping block one way or the other? Whether he chooses to swing the axe or not is irrelevant. My neck simply won't be on the block. Not for him anyway. Not his block. Maybe I'd do such a thing for my family but even then it will not take any level of authority to get my head to lay on that chopping block.

No level of authority can force my head onto the chopping block. Only sheer naked force can do that. If my head is on the chopping block it is either because I placed it there willingly for the sake of my family or because Stalin's NKVD stormed into my bedroom in the middle of the night and caught me off my guard.

Post doesn't say "chopping block" enough.

I don't even know what this post is trying to say.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>

It can be; it's an ancient drug that goes back to the '50s, and it's used to treat malaria in the developing world. Therefore there has been a lot of time and there is a lot of pressure to develop efficient synthesis pathways for it.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Post doesn't say "chopping block" enough.

I don't even know what this post is trying to say.

Fair criticism.

It's an extension of a few conversations I've had recently.

People are either hating or praising their governments. My gut reaction is: "governments?"

There is a sense in some people that they NEED to be lead from up-on-high. This leads them to obsess over this or that reaction from this or that government official.

What COVID has reinforced in me is my sense of libertarianism, as a philosophy more-so than a political party.

I just can not imagine what it must be like to either praise or hate the President in the face of a biological phenomenon. It's completely alien to me to look to political figures for such things.

Some people are wired in such a way to do so, I am not one of those people. It both fascinating and disgusting to me all at once.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I think it has to do with how many people are retarded and still partying on Bourbon St and shit. Without some sort of enforcement the idiots would spread this to all the other idiots. Not really sure what the government can do besides deploying military everywhere though. And I don't think that's a good option. People just need to be less dumb.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users