Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I mean I agree that most places will be fine if business just gets back to normal, but this island is completely toast. Lots of business are going to go tits up this year. My store does 30k+ a week this time of year. This week we will be sub 10k. A lot of that money gets set aside for the second half of the year where we have no tourism and little business, there is going to be no money to set aside. Things opening back up won't bring back the tourists until next year. Nevermind servers at restaurants going from completely full all night to being lucky to work and get 2 tables. The island is covered in resorts. Places that would have 400 people right now have less than 20.

Most of the world will recover though
Ah. I understand.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Who cares. Its Italy.

It looks like a really nice place to visit though. After this shit dies down and travel is a go again you bet your ass I'm going to Italy. Have the whole place to myself and it'll be hella cheap.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Article about the Taiwanese response to Corona.

Goes back to that one r/Libertarian post where the best function of a government in these kinds of crises is coordinating (rather than controlling or allocating) resources, providing computational power, and "getting out of its own way" so that citizens can formulate a bottom-up response.

• 2Like

iannis

Musty Nester
I'd take one step further to providing relief to regions or interests most severely impacted. A libertarian wouldn't want to do that but I do think it's a social investment and I do think there is a tolerable amount of accompanying graft (even though ideally it would be 0). That used to be handled through religious institutions but those are weakened in america. It doesn't seem unreasonable to make some concessions for reality.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I'd take one step further to providing relief to regions or interests most severely impacted. A libertarian wouldn't want to do that but I do think it's a social investment and I do think there is a tolerable amount of accompanying graft (even though ideally it would be 0). That used to be handled through religious institutions but those are weakened in america. It doesn't seem unreasonable to make some concessions for reality.

I agree. I used to be a pretty die-hard individualist libertarian, but I've inched upward on the communalism/individualism axis as I've learned the value of the commons. The central problem about mounting a response like this in America would be civics--that pretty much all of the shared social institutions have been weakened. Not only is religion weaker, but the other older cultural mediums have also been weakened (say what you will about network news and newspapers, but everyone got similar stories from similar sources, and thus discussed topics based off of the same context.)

Both the American left and the right have become more individualistic over time; the left with "rights for me but not for thee" identity politics, and the right with multinational business interests that care more about their own bottom line than their home country (see: Silicon Valley.) The question is how to re-introduce civics to American society without swinging the pendulum too far into becoming bee people.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
These shelter in place or stay at home things aren't much depending on where you are I guess. The one in Louisiana didn't include much for those that couldn't be out and about. Mostly retail, beauty shops, clothing stores and that kind of stuff. People who were exclude that go into work was all essential personal, auto repair places, everyone in the state in the petroleum or chemical business and those that support them. That includes a large percentage of the southern half of the state. I talked to someone late in the day that worked at Dow chemical. Said no difference in traffic at all until he got well out of town.

My sister got a essential personal deal and they gave her a deal to show when commuting. I can't imagine who you would show it to unless you already were in the wrong place at the wrong time. She does billing for a large alarm/security company that does a lot of the petrochemical installations.

And they closed parks.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider

I live in Seattle and this was essentially already happening. My company has been work from home for 2 weeks for all employees and 3 for most of them. Amazon, Google, Microsoft, TMobile...all the same. The only thing this did was stop idiots from communing in the parks which they were doing this weekend as it was really nice out. The police had to keep going in and breaking them up/closing parks.

Edited to Add: Restaurants were already pickup/delivery only, gyms were closed, schools cancelled, libraries closed, etc.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah almost everywhere in SF started doing WFH policies the week of 3/2.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
These shelter in place or stay at home things aren't much depending on where you are I guess. The one in Louisiana didn't include much for those that couldn't be out and about. Mostly retail, beauty shops, clothing stores and that kind of stuff. People who were exclude that go into work was all essential personal, auto repair places, everyone in the state in the petroleum or chemical business and those that support them. That includes a large percentage of the southern half of the state. I talked to someone late in the day that worked at Dow chemical. Said no difference in traffic at all until he got well out of town.

My sister got a essential personal deal and they gave her a deal to show when commuting. I can't imagine who you would show it to unless you already were in the wrong place at the wrong time. She does billing for a large alarm/security company that does a lot of the petrochemical installations.

And they closed parks.

Traffic was about Sunday levels yesterday in Lafayette. Looking outside now on one of the main roads it's more or less empty where it would usually be bumper to bumper from 7:00-8:00. Essential coffee shops still open though!

Pescador

Trakanon Raider
I have to keep coming in to the office because I am a manager at an essential business in San Diego, and the commute has been amazing these past 2-3 weeks. It reminds me just how bad traffic has gotten in the last 10-15 years when I am celebrating a drive time less than 1 hour.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I have to keep coming in to the office because I am a manager at an essential business in San Diego, and the commute has been amazing these past 2-3 weeks. It reminds me just how bad traffic has gotten in the last 10-15 years when I am celebrating a drive time less than 1 hour.
That's the one miracle of all this. Those of us working have amazing commute times

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Behind a paywall, sorry.

Edit : OK try going there via the Twitter link. No paywall for some reason.

• 2Like

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
5x the population density and second oldest population in the world doesn't help.

I'm sceptical of a lot of the statistics being bandied about, to paraphrase a client we had "if we don't measure it, it isn't wrong". Hardly anyone being tested, except where they die of suspected cov19 so it skews the numbers, like in my city of 650k people the news says there are 108 cases, yeah but if you've only tested 108 people it's meaningless.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users