Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Does the CDC even report recovered cases? I just see reported cases and deaths on their site.

Those other trackers scrape data from various random sources and the nuanced stuff like hospitalizations and recoveries isn't worth the electrons they're written with.
I've never seen recovered on the internal/FOUO reports get at work listed for the US.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Pennsylvania

Congratulations on doxxing yourself.

1585281196213.png

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Trump's Staff

This was a very difficult account to read. Obviously not everyone is going to have a reaction like this, but this doesn't seem like 'a cold'.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>

I thought you guys may like this. This is a 40 year old male with a history of diabetes and hypertension, I saw two nights ago, he came in with a fever 101 and a cough, flu was negative. He was tachycardic (HR 120s) and his oxygen saturation was 96% on room air. I told him coronavirus is a possibility and to home quarantine. He has a wife and multiple children all with the sniffles. I also advised him to return if he feels much worse and short of breath.

He returned tonight while I was on shift, and states he feels much worse. His oxygen level is now in the mid to high 80s, his labs are all completely suspicious of coronavirus with a normal white blood count, lymphopenia, elevated LDH, elevated ferritin, and elevated D-dimer. CTA of his chest shows severe bilateral ground glass opacities that are consistent with coronavirus.

Upon admission, if this patient is one of the ones that don't crash, they are trying to get them home oxygen so he can sit at home with oxygen until he gets better, so that he's not taking up a bed. We can get the patients finger pulse oximeters they can use at home to monitor their sats to see if they are improving or worsening. We can also get them setup with a clinic that will call them twice a week to check on them.

The CT scans linked here should be pretty obvious what these patchy opacities look like. This is the virus attacking your lungs. So at this point he's one of the ~14% of corona patients that get admitted needing supplemental oxygen. Hopefully he doesn't crash over night and end up intubated. It can happen! We are working on sending his swab off to the state for testing, so it likely won't show up in the state for 2-4 days or so, and likely that his entire family has coronavirus and will not be able to be tested in any timely fashion.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 6Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 8 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

I thought you guys may like this. This is a 40 year old male with a history of diabetes and hypertension, I saw two nights ago, he came in with a fever 101 and a cough, flu was negative. He was tachycardic (HR 120s) and his oxygen saturation was 96% on room air. I told him coronavirus is a possibility and to home quarantine. He has a wife and multiple children all with the sniffles. I also advised him to return if he feels much worse and short of breath.

He returned tonight while I was on shift, and states he feels much worse. His oxygen level is now in the mid to high 80s, his labs are all completely suspicious of coronavirus with a normal white blood count, lymphopenia, elevated LDH, elevated ferritin, and elevated D-dimer. CTA of his chest shows severe bilateral ground glass opacities that are consistent with coronavirus.

Upon admission, if this patient is one of the ones that don't crash, they are trying to get them home oxygen so he can sit at home with oxygen until he gets better, so that he's not taking up a bed. We can get the patients finger pulse oximeters they can use at home to monitor their sats to see if they are improving or worsening. We can also get them setup with a clinic that will call them twice a week to check on them.

The CT scans linked here should be pretty obvious what these patchy opacities look like. This is the virus attacking your lungs. So at this point he's one of the ~14% of corona patients that get admitted needing supplemental oxygen. Hopefully he doesn't crash over night and end up intubated. It can happen! We are working on sending his swab off to the state for testing, so it likely won't show up in the state for 2-4 days or so, and likely that his entire family has coronavirus and will not be able to be tested in any timely fashion.

"History of diabetes and hypertension" seems to be code for anything from seriously overweight to morbidly obese.

In your anecdotal experience, are you seeing many otherwise healthy people laid up with this? There seem to be numbers coming out of the US that contradict the trend elsewhere that showed a dramatically reduced rate of younger, healthier people needing serious care.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
We have now at least 7 intubated in the ICU with CV19. The person who was swabbing outside tested positive - he is young and no comorbidities.

edit: What irritates me when everyone says, "We don't have enough PPE or ventilators" - this is true...but, you still need to hire critical care nurses who can take care of vented patients. AND respiratory therapists.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Be wary of lisinopril. Lots of people are allergic to it. Watch yourself for unusual swelling.

Wary, not afraid. It works great if you're not allergic to it. But it seems like 1 in 5 people are. I don't know if that's accurate, but it seems that way.

small update: doctor took me off lisinopril and increased diltiazem. getting used to it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

This is why I'm worried about getting it. I'm mildly overweight, definitely not obese, but I do have diabetes. I'd be the guy intubated with no chane to live.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
We have now at least 7 intubated in the ICU with CV19. The person who was swabbing outside tested positive - he is young and no comorbidities.

edit: What irritates me when everyone says, "We don't have enough PPE or ventilators" - this is true...but, you still need to hire critical care nurses who can take care of vented patients. AND respiratory therapists.

Has your hospital talked about a hazard pay boost at all?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

This was a very difficult account to read. Obviously not everyone is going to have a reaction like this, but this doesn't seem like 'a cold'.
Take a zpac and a club soda and you'll be fine.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Nope. We don't get that shit. Though...we definitely should. :|
It really should be part of this stimulus bill. Our medical and essential supply workers need to be making Trump Stacks to be putting yourselves at risk right now.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Take a zpac and a club soda and you'll be fine.

Who actually thinks this is always "just a cold" for otherwise healthy people like that guy was suggesting? Pneumonia fucking sucks. So does the flu. Both of those things could kill you but it's unlikely if you don't have other pre-existing conditions.

I've had pneumonia... I've had really bad flu. I definitely don't want either of those things. But I'm not particularly scared of them killing me either.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users