Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
The media keeps fixating on deaths- death predictions, death rates, death locations. I would love at one of these conferences if someone asked fauci or that chick ‘is there an update on an antigen test’ because once we can start testing people for prior exposure and immunity is when we can start opening up industry comfortably again.

It’s quite possible we shut down too hard, like just blocking off any situation where groups 50+ could gather tightly, like trains, subways , stadiums concerts schools etc, may have been sufficient to provide a good level of mitigation without cramping the economy as hard as it is now, but with the little information we have it seems most countries chose safety over economy

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
0be728138227f63907c362221cc59a69.png

Amazon: Covid19 Supplies for Hospitals/Govt Agencies

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The problem is you can't close schools/daycares without stunting the economy and that was the first thing every single state did.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Given there is no test for immunity, no known cure, a vaccine over a year away, almost no effective treatment plans, and our health care system is about to be overrun, yes, we shouldn't let a highly contagious and incredibly deadly virus stop our most important priority: the quarterly earnings repot.

It's not just the earning report there, big guy. How many cities do you think are going to start seeing dramatic problems with business closures, 10-30% out of work and everyone holed up in their house? Idle hands and all that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
And that upsets you?
Do you think a world-wide extended economic depression would be a safety concern? If so, do you think it would be more or less safe than a respiratory illness that is statistically only dangerous to people over the age of 50?

• 3Like
  • 1Pants on Fire!
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
This idea keeps getting floated. I dont see support for it.

Yes, a recession will kill far fewer people than a bad viral outbreak, at least in the US. Our poor people have more problems with obesity than starvation.

A recession will suck financially, but it won't kill anywhere near the number as a bad viral outbreak.

(Before someone brings up suicides because of financial trouble: no)

• 1Potato

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
We really need a smarter plan than "everyone hides in their house."

Definitely a lot of people are going to have to continue hiding in their house, but I think that we can strategically get some parts of the economy working again.

I went walking around at the park near my house. Not like a neighborhood park it's a mountain biking/hiking park. As I haven't really went anywhere since the shutdown.

Anyway, point is the place kind of stunned me. The place was swarming with people in a way I've never seen. Couldn't park anywhere so people parked in the neighborhoods around it. Like when your neighbor throws a party and the street is full of cars? That times ten. Hoards of people basically just throwing a massive block party. The entire baseball diamond was nothing but lawn chairs and people crushing beers. Along with like thousands of dogs and clogged up trails.

I mean it makes sense with everything being closed but seeing it was something else.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I went walking around at the park near my house. Not like a neighborhood park it's a mountain biking/hiking park. As I haven't really went anywhere since the shutdown.

Anyway, point is the place kind of stunned me. The place was swarming with people in a way I've never seen. Couldn't park anywhere so people parked in the neighborhoods around it. Like when your neighbor throws a party and the street is full of cars? That times ten. Hoards of people basically just throwing a massive block party. The entire baseball diamond was nothing but lawn chairs and people crushing beers. Along with like thousands of dogs and clogged up trails.

I mean it makes sense with everything being closed but seeing it was something else.

This is why they have had to close big parks like this in France and the UK. At the start of the quarantine, people just ran off to the beautiful sites and parks like it was a vacation weekend away. Places were swarming with people and inundating the rural local communities. Hell, I know weeks back that Florida closed a bunch of public beaches for the same reason.

It sucks on my end too. I bought a brand new 2020 Trek mountain bike weeks before this all kicked off. All the bike parks across the country (UK) are now closed, just as we are starting to see the sunny spring days. I've resorted to doing a bunch of work around the house / on the cars that I have neglected for a while.

• 2Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor

Yes, a recession will kill far fewer people than a bad viral outbreak, at least in the US. Our poor people have more problems with obesity than starvation.

A recession will suck financially, but it won't kill anywhere near the number as a bad viral outbreak.

Cool story. I specifically asked about an extended global depression though. If you don't know the difference between a recession and a depression then you should be reading more and posting less.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike

slippery

<Bronze Donator>

There is not remotely enough real data to say that. With so many people losing their jobs and businesses, combined with being stuck inside, things like depression, suicide, and violent crimes start to spike a lot, and there is already evidence of that.

Not directly related

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Found out this morning we are going to be furloughing a large percentage of our wage employees indefinitely, and alternating furloughs for salaried (me) in addition to a 25% salary reduction starting next week. This is textile manufacturing, so obviously heavily impacted by downstream volume.

Wife’s job in banking not impacted (yet), but we do have savings plus access to equity if it gets to that. Going to be fun looking for another job right now. I do feel for those who aren’t as prepared, even if they “should have been.”

• 2Thoughts & Prayers

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Found out this morning we are going to be furloughing a large percentage of our wage employees indefinitely, and alternating furloughs for salaried (me) in addition to a 25% salary reduction starting next week. This is textile manufacturing, so obviously heavily impacted by downstream volume.

Wife’s job in banking not impacted (yet), but we do have savings plus access to equity if it gets to that. Going to be fun looking for another job right now. I do feel for those who aren’t as prepared, even if they “should have been.”

Work in the banking industry as well and asked my manager if we should expect furloughs or layoffs. She said we are good as of now, but I take that with a grain of salt. We are a gulf coast bank getting double fucked with Covid and Oil crashing. I do servicenow automation/development which from my point of view is far from mission critical and fully expect to get canned. RIP

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My company, thankfully, has the capital to operate as we are for at least one year. We have initiated a hiring freeze however.

I think we are fairly lucky in that our clients who have our product absolutely need it and can't cut ties easily. If they did they would need to find one of our competitors to replace it. Which is possible but not easy and not much cheaper.

So we'll see what happens.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I work in IT, last couple weeks have been absolutely insane setting up clients to WFH; This week? Its been fucking dead. Starting to get worried as I just moved across the entire fucking country for this job at the beginning of March, and now I am struggling to find billable hours.

Moving was an incredibly expensive endeavor (Dallas to Seattle).

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'm still working, and I'm getting depressed. I can't imagine all the people who have lost their jobs. You know the unemployment numbers aren't actually representative either, because states can't actually keep up with the claims. That numbers is going to keep jumping.

I've talked about it before, but I manage an indepently owned liquor store in Southwest Florida in a place that is highly dependent on tourists. It's a literal ghost town here. The last 7 days of March we where down ~13k in sales for just those seven days. Mind you March is our biggest month of year, and is normally something like ~110k in sales. Without getting into retail math, that isn't actually that much. The margin isn't large on liquor sales. We basically can't buy anything if we want to pay rent, payroll, utilities etc. At some point when this ends how do we get product back on the shelf? No clue. The money just won't be there. We'll slowly bleed money until the product is gone, and then what.

Florida is basically closing down tonight. As a liquor store we will stay open. My 2 hourly employees have already both lost half their hours. I'm on salary so I'm still working 40 hours a week. All the stores around me in my plaza are closing tonight, for at least the month. I think all the people are techinically getting laid off because they can't afford to pay them while they are closed. Some of the places down here have already shut down all reservations for hotels/resorts/condo's/house rentals etc for 30-90 days. If you hadn't checked in by whenever they put it in place you can't, if you are already here you can stay but you can't extend your stay past whenever you had booked. Imagine people who own rental properties just not having any income at all for 90 days.

The financial side of this is so far from over, and nothing the government does will truly help where it's needed.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Well some good news, the 25% salary reduction was a mistake - damn thankful for that. I’ll still be filing every other week but hopefully that will be very short term - but hell who knows?