Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

Tilluin

Molten Core Raider
In the UK the response has felt strange. Not knowing anyone who has had the virus makes it feel like it could all be a hoax and we’re staying inside for nothing!

I own a gym so my company is currently closed due to government ruling. It’s extremely concerning as each month we are bleeding members, we’ve lost 1/8 of our membership since being shutdown 2 weeks ago, and there is no obvious timeline for when we will be able to reopen.

Our government have announced lots of grants and loans for businesses however we can’t yet access them properly and I know a fair few businesses who have gone bust already.

I listened to a government advisor speak this morning and he suggested this period of lockdown is purely to allow our health service to prepare. To build pop up hospitals, improve testing and ventilator supply. When the NHS has had some time, they reopen the gates to prevent the economy being destroyed for a decade and hope for the best.

A very surreal time!

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Pops

These stories you guys are relating are the untold tragedy about this mess. The economic suffering can't be sustained for long. It will become a matter of life or death soon for everyone else.

WWII was a bigger killer than this virus. Time to buckle the hell up and end this self inflicted wound and let God sort it out.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I own a business and I live 20 miles from Manhatten. I am seeing this unfold from the second row seats. For a virus that has claimed 0.00015 percent of the world's 12th largest economy's population (3000/20m), we have put millions out of work. And the next unemployment report will skyrocket NY's numbers. 3000 deaths is a tragedy. The unemployed situation is a crime.
Do you think people in NYC would be going about normal business right now if the government said it was okay?

People were going to shut down and quarantine anyway.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Time to buckle the hell up and end this self inflicted wound and let God sort it out.
You can't force people at gunpoint to go stand in line at Starbucks and go to a movie theatre. This was going to kill huge sectors of the economy whether there was an enforced quarantine or not.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Do you think people in NYC would be going about normal business right now if the government said it was okay?

Why do people keep saying this? While some would, a great many others would not and would capitalize on the reduced amount of competition. You'd have a situation where people would be forced to go into to work or risk losing their jobs even if they were in a high risk demographic. There would be a whole different set of problems, but even NY would not look like it does today without government mandates and shutdowns.

• 3Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Why do people keep saying this? While some would, a great many others would not and would capitalize on the reduced amount of competition. You'd have a situation where people would be forced to go into to work or risk losing their jobs even if they were in a high risk demographic. There would be a whole different set of problems, but even NY would not look like it does today without government mandates and shutdowns.

Ive got to harp in on this and agree with Khane. Im a Business & Sales Manager at an Auto Dealership and last month, in comparison to last year's numbers and the number's before that.. guess what? We beat those numbers in profit and total vehicles delivered. Then, the governor announced that it was no longer "suggested" in Virginia and now law that businesses shut down and people keep to themselves. It was only slightly noticeable at first, and now.. today.. we had less than 3 people come into the dealership. Three people in comparison to what usually comes in on a Saturday is a sad joke. We laid people off in anticipation of this, and today.. which at the time, felt like we were just letting go of people we already wanted to let go of - Now it seems as though it was the right call. The Virus has yet to even really hit my area, but.. the devastation thats going to come from the shut down is going to be crippling. The other sales managers cant do the paperwork, so in the end.. it's going to be the top salesperson, myself and the GM as the last hold outs. If we cant keep a positive cash flow at that, then what... It's scary to me.

As I read through this, I just dont feel like many of you get the implications of how financially devastating this is to so many people. For years after this, people will be relegated to high interest loans at no fault of their own. Take 2008 and multiply it by several multitudes. There is no forgiveness in our system, China's system etc. for this. You can't prepare for something like this, and the lower and middle class are going to suffer for years to come after this. The stimulus checks? The bail outs? The lower and middle class are the ones that are going to be hurt from this. A bandaid that'll ultimately fuck over the same people it was meant to help. Meanwhile, Chad Bro and his millionaire family arent going to feel shit. Im sure you've already seen many social networking photos of them grilling out, playing on the beach/water, and having small tight knit parties.

I'm ultimately not trying to cry out for the income inequality differences, cause I'm sure they can point out how they wont be able to afford but three cleaning services a week, instead of five. But for a virus, even though it's dangerous, shutting down everything and mandating it as "law" has far worse consequences than what would have resulted from everyone suffering through it. Short sighted, I'll lose ten's of thousands of dollars. Over long term I'll lose 100K/more. The suicides, the suffering.. it feels like Im blowing it out of proportion as I type it.. but the economy crashing from this is far more scarier than the virus.

..and here I was thinking I was coming out ahead with my stock market luck.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
Ive got to harp in on this and agree with Khane. Im a Business & Sales Manager at an Auto Dealership and last month, in comparison to last year's numbers and the number's before that.. guess what? We beat those numbers in profit and total vehicles delivered. Then, the governor announced that it was no longer "suggested" in Virginia and now law that businesses shut down and people keep to themselves. It was only slightly noticeable at first, and now.. today.. we had less than 3 people come into the dealership. Three people in comparison to what usually comes in on a Saturday is a sad joke. We laid people off in anticipation of this, and today.. which at the time, felt like we were just letting go of people we already wanted to let go of - Now it seems as though it was the right call. The Virus has yet to even really hit my area, but.. the devastation thats going to come from the shut down is going to be crippling. The other sales managers cant do the paperwork, so in the end.. it's going to be the top salesperson, myself and the GM as the last hold outs. If we cant keep a positive cash flow at that, then what... It's scary to me.

As I read through this, I just dont feel like many of you get the implications of how financially devastating this is to so many people. For years after this, people will be relegated to high interest loans at no fault of their own. Take 2008 and multiply it by several multitudes. There is no forgiveness in our system, China's system etc. for this. You can't prepare for something like this, and the lower and middle class are going to suffer for years to come after this. The stimulus checks? The bail outs? The lower and middle class are the ones that are going to be hurt from this. A bandaid that'll ultimately fuck over the same people it was meant to help. Meanwhile, Chad Bro and his millionaire family arent going to feel shit. Im sure you've already seen many social networking photos of them grilling out, playing on the beach/water, and having small tight knit parties.

I'm ultimately not trying to cry out for the income inequality differences, cause I'm sure they can point out how they wont be able to afford but three cleaning services a week, instead of five. But for a virus, even though it's dangerous, shutting down everything and mandating it as "law" has far worse consequences than what would have resulted from everyone suffering through it. Short sighted, I'll lose ten's of thousands of dollars. Over long term I'll lose 100K/more. The suicides, the suffering.. it feels like Im blowing it out of proportion as I type it.. but the economy crashing from this is far more scarier than the virus.

Pretty much agree. I saw in my local news that our two small counties had over 10k in unemployment claims in a week. We're talking about 290k people, and this was a week and a half ago. You think about a good jobs report is what 250k increase across the country? We are talking millions of jobs gone, millions of delinquent loans, everything. I can't believe they are doing this for what predominately effects the elderly. Two people died in our county last week. Guess what, they were over 90.... Not a single death under 70 yet out of 14 deaths. I am so tired of this.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Honestly the answer is the just vote out basically every person in power this fall. That's really been the answer for a long time, but the political class is so out of touch with reality it's devastating. How many of these people have been in office for literal decades. They are all in the pockets of so many people, and have actually nothing at stake. How in the world do we ever end up with a 4 trillion bailout that will do actually nothing meaningful

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 7 users

Fadaar

That guy
Honestly the answer is the just vote out basically every person in power this fall. That's really been the answer for a long time, but the political class is so out of touch with reality it's devastating. How many of these people have been in office for literal decades. They are all in the pockets of so many people, and have actually nothing at stake. How in the world do we ever end up with a 4 trillion bailout that will do actually nothing meaningful

There's some in congress who have been there since fucking KENNEDY was president

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
These stories you guys are relating are the untold tragedy about this mess. The economic suffering can't be sustained for long. It will become a matter of life or death soon for everyone else.

WWII was a bigger killer than this virus. Time to buckle the hell up and end this self inflicted wound and let God sort it out.
Its only until because out media won't tell it. Fuckers want doom panic and death so they can blame Trump.

• 1Pants on Fire!

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

People weren't given the opportunity to adjust to the situation. Instead the nanny-state closed the courts, violated the 9th and 14th amendments and arbitrarily shutdown everyone's business. This isnt a binary decision. There are places between "going about normal business" and hard stop to the entire fucking economy of NY. BTW, NY is the world's 12th largest economy.

And not only no, but fuck no. Small businesses weren't going to "shut down and quarantive anyway". Its financial fucking suicide. A not small number are operating anyway daring the sheriff to shut them down so they can sue them after this is over and courts re-open. Its the exact reason the cops aren't shutting businesses down for the most part. They know its unconstitutional as there is zero due process involved.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You can't force people at gunpoint to go stand in line at Starbucks and go to a movie theatre. This was going to kill huge sectors of the economy whether there was an enforced quarantine or not.
Again you are clueless. Drive thru lines at Starbucks, McDonald's etc are backed up into the streets here. Sit-down mom and pops restaurants are getting fucked but the big fast food chains are going to find this is a more cost efficient model. Less labor required when its all drive thru.

• 2Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

Welcome to the team.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yea I'd imagine fast food and restaurants that had a delivery model like pizza places might even be doing more business right now.

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Finally. Someone gets it. Not surprisingly you are in business. Just curious, what type of dealership? Are your manufacturers working out a deal on your floorplanning to ease the carry cost?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Again you are clueless. Drive thru lines at Starbucks, McDonald's etc are backed up into the streets here. Sit-down mom and pops restaurants are getting fucked but the big fast food chains are going to find this is a more cost efficient model. Less labor required when its all drive thru.
That's not the point I was making, if anything you are agreeing with me.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yea I'd imagine fast food and restaurants that had a delivery model like pizza places might even be doing more business right now.
The big chain names are doing well. They have the advertising and budgets to maximize this. Our mom and pops pizza places are staying afloat barely (in speaking to them. We buy once a week to help support them) but in store dining is part of their model. Domino's and Papa John's are built for takeout/delivery from the ground up.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You can't make this shit up. There just isn't any possible way people are THIS incompetent. I'm not a tinfoil hat guy but Christ no one can be this stupid. The entire idea of this ship was to keep it Coronachan free so as to have a place of refuge for non-covid patients as well a covid free command center. Newp. Not any more.

• 3Picard